Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

Amanco running problems (contd.)

this thread has 4 replies and has been viewed 1744 times

Old 04-25-2005, 04:13:20 PM
Registered-II

Default Amanco running problems (contd.)

Firstly I would like to thank all you chaps who suggested possible causes for the trouble I'm having with my throttle governed Hired Man, but unfortunatly I think I've tried most of the things suggested already, with no real improvements.
I have gone over the engine again and have thoroughly checked the timing, (both igniter in relation to piston position and igniter to mag) also the exhaust valve timing. I've tried altering all the above settings both advanced and retarded from the book settings only to find the engine still running very roughly.
I've tried playing about with the governor and throttle positions, some of these made the engine run slightly smoother but didnt stop the missing every other (or more) strokes.
So far it all seems to be pointing toward the fact that my engine is fitted with the short reach igniter and not the long one as it should be, but I still cant really see how somthing as volatile as hot vapourized petrol vapour could not reach another 3/4" to be ignited by my short igniter, what do you chaps think.
The next step for me is to obtain a long set of points and make the necessary spacer pieces to make my igniter a long type.

My igniter spring is in good order wiith plenty of tension, the points are good, the mica is new and I cant find any votage leak anywhere, and I've tried it running with the points held open(battery position) and closed and it makes no difference. My mag is timed exactly to the igniter and kicks out about 2 volts on the meter.

Any ideas would be great, many thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-25-2005, 05:20:35 PM
Hoarder

Thanked 2,589 Times in 845 Posts
Default Re: Amanco running problems (contd.)

2 volts sounds a little low even at cranking speed. I would have expected 4 or 5 volts cranking and 9 to 12 running. Maybe the mag is the problem. Have you tried unhooking the mag and running it with a battery and coil? If it still runs rough with a battery, then maybe the ignitor is the problem. Keep us posted. Mike
Old 04-25-2005, 07:15:31 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,158 Times in 774 Posts
Default Re: Amanco running problems (contd.)

Well.... #1... A TG engine needs a GOOD Spark to run well... #2.... The most common cause of a 8 cycling or rough running in a TG engine is a Weak exhaust valve spring.

I can't believe that a slightly shorter igniter would make that much difference as some engines actually have the spark in a chamber only connected to the main cylinder by a hole. Maybe it's a combination of ingredients thing and correcting just one won't help much... I geuss I would try a battery and Good coil and see if that helps before I jumped to unscientific conclusions... If you even have a couple turns shorted in the mag coil it will really weaken the spark...

Last edited by Ken Majeski; 04-25-2005 at 07:17:40 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 04-26-2005, 10:41:29 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 6,176 Times in 2,454 Posts
Exclamation Re: Amanco running problems (contd.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Majeski
Well.... #1... A TG engine needs a GOOD Spark to run well... #2.... The most common cause of a 8 cycling or rough running in a TG engine is a Weak exhaust valve spring....
That rings a bell! I had the same problem of rough running despite my best efforts with my F-M ZC-52.

While I was watching it run and contemplating limbering up the 'ol sledgehammer, I noticed that the exhaust valve moved a little on the intake stroke.

I took a rag (the valve was hot) and held back on the exhaust valve and it smoothed right out.

A temporary fix was to remove the spring and stretch it. It had little temper but I could get it to work better. I bought a new spring from one of Harry's sponsors and have had no trouble from that source since.

Take care - Elden
http://home.cybertron.com/~edurand
Old 04-26-2005, 11:39:35 AM
Subscriber

Smile Re: Amanco running problems (contd.)

I think there are some good suggestions here.I too feel the ignitor length
should not be a problem,especially in light of the fact that the fuel charge
finds it way to the upper end of a hot tube in the real old stuff.