Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

LA Flywheel

this thread has 5 replies and has been viewed 1100 times

Old 04-27-2005, 06:40:26 PM
Registered-III

Default LA Flywheel

I have a 3-5 la and when I bought it I though it was stuck, but after I had it loaded I realized that was not the case. So when I got it home I was turning it and realized it would only turn so far then stop. So in the mean time I turned it a little to hard and got it stuck. Now what it is stuck on is thing that the pushrod go into, oly 1 of them is stuck. So my problem is i've got this engine with a stuck cam and I cann't figure out how to fix it, short of removing the flywheel and side cover, now hears the problem how do I remove the flywheel when I cant turn it?? It is way to big for a puller and I cann't seem to get the push rod thing to move?? Any ideas or suggestions??
Sponsored Links
Old 04-27-2005, 07:13:16 PM
Email NOT Working

Thanked 1,705 Times in 1,016 Posts
Default Re: LA Flywheel

Justin, I'm not exactly sure what you're talking about. Nevertheless, I have worked on an engine like yours and am roughly familiar with them.
I would take the rocker arms off. Then you can make sure the valves are loose by hand without breaking a rocker. Then the only thing that should then prevent the flywheel from turning back the direction it was; is a dry piston.
Put some good penetrating oil in the cylinder. Maybe you can rig up some kind of huge strap wrench to go around the flywheel to back it up where it was. Plumbers and others use strap wrenches, maybe you could make one after you look at one at your local hardware store. TIP: an old timing belt makes a great strap. They're plenty long enough, have rubber lugs to grip well, and are free from your local mechanic who likes to change them before they break. Let us know if this isn't helpful enough. Kevin
Old 04-27-2005, 07:35:17 PM
Registered-III

The pushrods are out of the engine. The reason I cann't move the flywheel is the cam is locked up tight. To try and fix this I tried a pipe wrench on the cam and couldn't move it, however i'm not sure how much pressure I can put on the cam?? Is there anything that would break by using a pipe wrench on the cam??
Thanks Justin
Old 04-27-2005, 07:38:29 PM
Registered-III

What is stuck is one of the little incerts that the pushrods sit in. The incerts are pushed by lobes on the cam, and what happened is the cam came around to push the incert and incert wouldn't move so the cam got stuck where it is just touching the incert and I can't seem to be able to back the cam off??
Justin
Old 04-27-2005, 11:01:06 PM
Email NOT Working

Thanked 1,705 Times in 1,016 Posts

I think you gotta back it up or risk breaking something. Cam teeth are very fragile. Can you heat up the block around the lifter that is stuck? Maybe that would cause it to pop loose since the cam has pressure on it already.
It's been over 20 years I think since I worked on one. I seem to remember using a long extension and a universal joint to get the pinch bolt loose on the flywheel. Sorry I don't have any better ideas. Kevin
Old 04-28-2005, 01:19:21 AM
Registered-III

I assume that you have pulled the hand hole cover off of the rear of the engine and made shure that the connecting rod hasn't jammed against something or that somethimg hasn't jammed into the gears or something.

I had one given to me that had the piston removed but the connecting rod was replaced and I think that it may have had some similar symptoms. This happened some years ago and I am no longer sure of just how it was that I discovered that the piston was missing.

Just thought that you should check in case you hadn't removed that cover.

Dick