Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

buzz coil/bosch

this thread has 9 replies and has been viewed 1432 times

Old 04-28-2005, 09:49:55 PM
Registered-II

Default buzz coil/bosch

I rigged up a buzz coil using a Bosch relay. Pretty sure I did it by instructions but it has a itty bitty puney spark which I'm sure won't run an engine. I know the coil is good because I've been running my Novo with it. Anyone had any luck with the home made buzz coil?
L.D.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-28-2005, 11:13:14 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: buzz coil/bosch

You have got something wrong some where, the ones I have assembled have an incredible spark . What you may have is a coil with a good primary winding (will run an ignitor engine) but a high resistance secondary winding. You see when running an ignitor engine you are only utilizing the primary circuit of the coil by flowing the electricity through the coil. Not using the coil for high voltage output from the secondary side of the windings. I would try another coil.

My 2 cents per gallon surcharge
Denny
Old 04-28-2005, 11:18:45 PM
Subscriber

Sorry I just read into your post a little deeper and I would imagine your Novo to be spark plug and high tension, I would double check all the connections to insure they are correct and make sure you have good voltage from the battery. I have always used 12 volt coils and 12 volt batteries I don't know how the Bosch relay will function at lower voltages as it was designed to operate at 12V.

2 more cents per gallon surcharge . man this stuff is getting expensive!!!

Denny
Old 04-29-2005, 12:42:53 PM
JBailey

Make sure that the relay you're using is a Single Pole Double Throw (SPDT) relay. I tried rigging up one with a Single Pole Single Throw (SPST) relay and it will not work. You can't tell the difference between the two just by looking at the case. You have to look at the schematic printed on the case. I have a NAPA part number at home if you have trouble finding the correct relay. You must hook up to the normally closed terminal 87a. Otherwise it won't work. I fought this same battle just this week. Mine now throws a good healthy spark.

John
Old 04-29-2005, 12:45:21 PM
JBailey

One other issue. I initially tried mine using a small trickle charger as a power source. It would not work. Had a really weak spark if any at all. But, when I tried it on a good healthy 12 volt battery, it really came to life.

John
Old 04-29-2005, 05:01:54 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,305 Times in 875 Posts

What did these relays originally run on a car? Thanks Bob
Old 04-29-2005, 05:04:05 PM
Registered-II

I played and played with this, checked and double checked everything and couldn't get it to work. like you say nothing but a tiny spark. Finally rewired it not following the diagram but running the ignition coil in series with the coil on the bosch relay. As opposed to using the Normaly opened side of the relay to feed the ignition coil. The ignition coil that I was using was brand new from the parts store so I'm pretty sure it was a sound coil. Once I did this it worked great, so good it's almost scary and will toss a couple of inch long spark if hooked to a good battery. Have been using this for a couple of years now without any problems. Built a real nice little wooden box for it with some brass screws and knurled thumb screws for hook ups. Looks and works nice.

Hank
Old 04-29-2005, 09:34:47 PM
Registered-II

I got it working and it is wired as the instructions, auto coil parallel with coil in relay. I don't know why it didn't work at first. probably not good connections as I was twisting up temp wiring.
Old 04-29-2005, 10:11:38 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRR
What did these relays originally run on a car? Thanks Bob
Bob,

The relays are used for many applications on cars on a Ford Crown Vic they are used as fuel pump relay, ac clutch relay, headlamp relay, abs relay, power window relay. I used to work for a county govt. and everytime a car was totaled we would scavange all of the relays off of it for later use. Man at the coffee cans full of them !!!! and probably would use one or two a year.

Denny
Old 04-29-2005, 11:08:12 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,305 Times in 875 Posts

Thanks Denny Ford parts to boot!! BobRR