Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

What make is this engine?

this thread has 7 replies and has been viewed 2061 times

Old 05-02-2005, 11:01:16 AM
Sponsor

Thanked 3,213 Times in 369 Posts
Default What make is this engine?

I got this engine from Ebay, Picked it up at a local show this past weekend. It got lots of attention and pictures taken of it but NOBODY knows what it is. It is a very small engine with 13" X 2" flywheels, 3 X 3 1/2 bore and stroke, it is only 14" tall the engine is black with red stripes on the flywheels. the crankshaft is 1" diameter by 15" long I would guess the weight to be about 75 lbs. It is missing the Carb and the muffler, It has a lot of run time on it. I really don't think it is a home made engine, The castings are very high quality! It could be somthing you bought as a casting kit and built the rest yourself. Even though the main castings are good quality, the valve train is pretty crude. The head is also very interesting. It is threaded on to the cylinder and I think it is water cooled. Any thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
MVC-001S.JPG   MVC-002S.JPG   MVC-003S.JPG   MVC-004S.JPG  
Sponsored Links
Old 05-02-2005, 01:00:57 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: What make is this engine?

Hello,
Could you post a picture from the top? I see the ignition wire going to that clip but that doesn't make any sense. Could it be a "hot tube" engine? I'm basing that thought on the unique design of the head. This engine looks like a "experimental". Some of the old technical schools had some sharp students. Anybody ever seen a KSAC engine. Wayne Walker could tell you about them. They where made at what is now known a Kansas State, back when it was known as Kansas State Agricultural Collage. If I remember all of this right. They only know of 3 or 4 of these engines that are still around. They where a student project. You made all of the patterns and then poured the castings in class. Then you machined and assembled your engine. It has KSAC cast in the side of the hopper. They are about 1hp in size. The one that I've seen, at the 4th of July show that Wayne puts on every year, is of very high quality, to the point it looks "factory".

Thanks
Richard
Old 05-02-2005, 01:10:08 PM
Subscriber

It looks like it works like a Dayton engine with the valve arrangement over the cylinder only a little crueder. Keven
Old 05-02-2005, 01:21:45 PM
Sponsor

Here are a couple pictures of the valve train, It is a spark plug engine with the timer running off the cross shaft, I doubt it is a Dayton "But wouldn't that be cool if it were!" I agree that it could be a school project in the end. But like I said before the base id a superb base, all the mechanism around the valves is pretty detailed. Keep the thoughts coming
Attached Thumbnails
MVC-005S.JPG   MVC-006S.JPG   MVC-007S.JPG  
Old 05-02-2005, 04:19:51 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 6,177 Times in 2,455 Posts

I can't tell perzackly but it looks like the crank to cam ratio -may- be 4:1 like the 8-cycle Aermotors.

On an engine like that with what appears to be really marginal cooling, 8-cycle would help keep it from cooking itself to death.

It do look like it's been pretty hot, though.

Take care - Elden
Old 05-02-2005, 05:51:17 PM
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elden DuRand
I can't tell perzackly but it looks like the crank to cam ratio -may- be 4:1 like the 8-cycle Aermotors.

On an engine like that with what appears to be really marginal cooling, 8-cycle would help keep it from cooking itself to death.

It do look like it's been pretty hot, though.

Take care - Elden
I just checked, It is a 4 cycle, 2 - 1 gear ratio! Good thought !
Old 05-02-2005, 10:00:06 PM
Registered-II

Mike,That is an interesting engine and I studied the pics a long time.The cylinder doesn't appear to have a water jacket and the head has cooling fins.The ignition looks home made.Could this have been a compressor at some time that someone was tinkering with? Chip Watford
Old 05-03-2005, 08:40:35 AM
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip Watford
Mike,That is an interesting engine and I studied the pics a long time.The cylinder doesn't appear to have a water jacket and the head has cooling fins.The ignition looks home made.Could this have been a compressor at some time that someone was tinkering with? Chip Watford
Chip, you are 100% correct. The head has air cooling fins but also has a water jacket! The cylinder is NOT water cooled the best I can tell at this time. And the biggest thing is the ignition really looks home made and I mean made in a basement! That is the 1 thing that also seems much newer then everything else. so the mystery continues...............................