Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

3hp Fm-z-c

this thread has 2 replies and has been viewed 824 times

Old 05-02-2005, 11:39:56 AM
Registered-III

Default 3hp Fm-z-c

Just picked up a 3hp fm-z-c engine this weekend. I am not familiar with this model , parts of it (carb) look like my 1.5hp hp fm-z. Mag looks like the
fm-z-d. Are the parts similar or the same?
Does the mag have an impulse mechanism? The compression is great, I can hardly pull it over. I have no hand crank? What is the best way to start it??
The name plate says 3hp @ 800rpm, so if I turn down the gov how slow will it run??
thanks
dave from omemee.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-02-2005, 02:01:14 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,305 Times in 875 Posts
Default Re: 3hp Fm-z-c

What yr? Or give us the serial no. and will date it for you. There is no mag impulse. Mine has the type J mag and you have to get it spinning pretty good before it will start.Mine has v-belt grooves cast in the flywheel so I start it using a starter gen. The newer models have a speed control lever on the crank cover that you can change the speed from about 250-300 to 800Rpm. Without having to take anything apart.Other then being hard starting is a good runner on gas or kerosene.You will need the starting crank if you dont come up with a starter.BobRR
Old 05-02-2005, 04:11:18 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 6,177 Times in 2,455 Posts
Default Re: 3hp Fm-z-c

You will need a crank for your 3 HP ZC. No impulse on the mag and you have to spin it pretty fast to get it to make enough spark to bark off.

As to how slow they'll run on a mag depends on how hot the mag is. If you've got a hot mag and knock the plug gap down to 0.015" or so, it'll probably go down to 200 RPM or so. Only thing is, with the plug gap that small, it probably won't run well under load.

I've got a ZC-52 (3 HP) that I use an electronic ignition on because I never had a mag for it.

With that setup and a gizzy to retard the spark, I can start it after priming by just slowly pulling it over compression. When it's in the mood, it will run at a little less than 120 RPM. Pretty slow for such a small engine.

I needed to shorten the compression spring inside the governor shaft by a couple of turns to make it throttle down to that speed.

Take care - Elden