Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

What type of engine is this, and est. $ ?

this thread has 25 replies and has been viewed 4300 times

Old 05-03-2005, 11:55:38 AM
Registered-II

Question What type of engine is this, and est. $ ?

Does anyone know what type of engine this may be. I have never purchased an old stationary engine before, and I am just getting into the "sport".

I have been made aware of this "barn fresh" model and was sent this picture. (The guy who sent me the photo is buying the old car in the pic)

The guy wants $650.00 for it, and this is the only pic I have, until I look at it myself this Friday. The cart is included.

I feel like I may be jumping in over my head, but I am realy motivated to get my first engine. (however my only old engine experience is a Model T Ford that my father and I restored) However this one has been sitting for quite a few years, and I'm pretty sure has never been restored.

Any suggestions.

If it works...
If it has 100 things that need fixing...
If just the head is cracked...
If the carburator is missing or needs replacing...
If it infact has never been restored ever...

1.800.335.5147 x3828
please give me a call if it is easier to explain. leave a message and I'll call you back right away if you don't get me.
Attached Thumbnails
old stationary.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Old 05-03-2005, 12:01:30 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 3,213 Times in 369 Posts
Default Re: What type of engine is this, and est. $ ?

It looks to be complete as could be expected! Don't even think twice or try to get a better price. This is a great find and a great buy! Enjoy Mike
Old 05-03-2005, 12:01:43 PM
Hoarder

Thanked 2,589 Times in 845 Posts

It looks like a pretty complete "Waterloo" engine. I can see the mixer in the picture and an ignitor. I'm assuming it is a battery and coil ignition as I don't see evidence of a magneto. If the engine is not stuck I would say $650 is reasonably fair. Of course, further inspection may reveal the other flywheel is busted off or any number of maladies not evident in the photo. In that case, some serious discounting would be in order.
Old 05-03-2005, 12:09:50 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,296 Times in 309 Posts

Looks a lot like a Galloway, I'd buy it..................
Old 05-03-2005, 06:01:30 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,288 Times in 1,434 Posts

Looks like a Galloway to me too. Because of the way the rocker arm is connected to the pushrod. I'd jump on that one! Hopefully the cart wheels are still intact where they are half buried in the ground.

Mike
Old 05-03-2005, 06:26:12 PM
Registered-III

I wouldn't hesitate one second! Be careful when you move the engine. I've seen many cart wheels that have been badly bent because of tree roots growing though the wheels and people get exited about their new "toy" and put the pull to it. When you go get it take shovels, tools, chainsaws, plenty of chains, and an oil can. Be careful about turning the flywheels over as they may be loose, but something else might be stuck, and it'll be sure to break if you try to turn them over. Also get lots of pictures to show everybody. Don't pick the engine up by the hopper. Don't run a chain from one flywheel to the other and then up to a hook on a hoist, as the chain will want to force the flywheels in toward each other and break them. Be careful in that building as it looks to have a little bit of structural problems Ask about any history about the engine, past owners, any spare parts, a starting crank, if the original mag is around, and if the original manual is still around. Man what a deal! After you get it restored be sure to haul it back and show the folks you bought it from that you got it running and thank them agian for allowing you the chance to buy that engine. Take lots of pictures all through the restoration process to remember how to put it back together when the time comes and to show folks just what it takes to restore one of these.

Can anybody else think of anything I missed?

Have fun!
Richard
Old 05-03-2005, 08:07:05 PM
Subscriber

Wink Re: What type of engine is this, and est. $ ?

I am going to agree with the Galloway belief. I would say it is going to be a 5hp roundrod. Great find and a great price! Congrats!
Randy Wells
Old 05-03-2005, 10:00:08 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,288 Times in 1,434 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by meco3hp
I wouldn't hesitate one second! Be careful when you move the engine. I've seen many cart wheels that have been badly bent because of tree roots growing though the wheels and people get exited about their new "toy" and put the pull to it. When you go get it take shovels, tools, chainsaws, plenty of chains, and an oil can. Be careful about turning the flywheels over as they may be loose, but something else might be stuck, and it'll be sure to break if you try to turn them over. Also get lots of pictures to show everybody. Don't pick the engine up by the hopper. Don't run a chain from one flywheel to the other and then up to a hook on a hoist, as the chain will want to force the flywheels in toward each other and break them. Be careful in that building as it looks to have a little bit of structural problems Ask about any history about the engine, past owners, any spare parts, a starting crank, if the original mag is around, and if the original manual is still around. Man what a deal! After you get it restored be sure to haul it back and show the folks you bought it from that you got it running and thank them agian for allowing you the chance to buy that engine. Take lots of pictures all through the restoration process to remember how to put it back together when the time comes and to show folks just what it takes to restore one of these.
Very good advice!!

Mike
Old 05-03-2005, 10:19:48 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 4,673 Times in 3,027 Posts
Exclamation Re: What type of engine is this, and est. $ ?

Yeah one more thing - If you dont want it, Where is it, and I'll buy it!!!
Looks like a great find, If you have questions - just ask! Like they say at Home Despot - We Can Help . As posted before, DO NOT attempt to pull the flywheels until yuo know that everything else is free - mag, cam and cam pushrod, rocker arm valves - especially!, piston and rod, governor (especially), igniter, and any thing else that moves A 2 to 1 reduction, magnefied by the force of the leverage of the flywheel rim to the hub, means that anything stuck will break - no questions! attempting to run the engine with the governor in-operative means self destruct - in a hurry, dismemberment and death to follow, if you get my drift. Make sure everything is free. Good luck with your find!
Andrew
Old 05-03-2005, 10:52:25 PM
Registered-III

yeah, governers are very important!!!first time my jaeger ran the gov. fell apart. it ran too fast..each time it fired it would jump about 2 inches...I pulled the spark plug wire, it was dieseling...no spark but running still (scary)...nice find

Mac Leod
Old 05-04-2005, 12:16:41 AM
Registered-III

Don't obsess the value. Get a second opinion from someone else that is not emotionally involved. Take a good look at it and decide what it's worth to YOU.
Browse the web, borrow some back issues of Gas Engine Magazine. Look up a local engine show person.
Old 05-04-2005, 12:31:48 AM

Thanked 17,706 Times in 5,300 Posts

Does this help narrow things down???
Attached Thumbnails
old stationary.jpg  
Old 05-04-2005, 01:18:19 PM
Registered-II

Anybody want to take a guess as to what the car is?
Old 05-04-2005, 01:53:17 PM
eMail NOT Working

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Lessen
Anybody want to take a guess as to what the car is?
The car is a Plymouth, probably 1939. See the sailing ship hood ornament.
Old 05-04-2005, 02:58:34 PM
Administrator

Thanked 9,029 Times in 1,484 Posts

My brother just reported back: I think it is a 1935 Plymouth. The hood ornament is Plymouth. The hood design and the side headlights to the radiator tell me that it is 34, 35, or 36. But I think it is a 35.
Old 05-04-2005, 07:31:39 PM
Registered-III

The car is a 1935 Plymouth. I had a 35 coupe when I was in High School in 1945-1947. Yes, it was a long time ago, but you don't forget those years, especially if your car did not have a back seat---if you catch my drift!!!
Old 05-04-2005, 11:01:21 PM
In Memory Of

Yep, that sure is a 1935 Plymouth. I had my grandfathers business coupe from 1947 to 1950. If it is a coupe, I might be interested.

Glenn
Old 05-05-2005, 12:32:26 PM
Email NOT Working

Thanked 1,705 Times in 1,016 Posts

Thanks for the Pix Greg, and don't worry about "muddying the waters" technically these are engine related as the car is holding the roof off the Galloway and I can still see it in most of the photos. Everyone loves the before and after photos, and the car is definitely part of the "before". Great find, enjoy your engine! Kevin in Nebraska
Old 05-05-2005, 04:36:04 PM
Registered-II

Red face Re: What type of engine is this, and est. $ ?

I just slapped the tractor pics on the "tractor talk" site. There is also another tractor that has no pics of it. It also is an Allis Chalmers. The guy never really said what he wants for the items. I'm not trying to tease, I just wanted to get as much info about the "Galloway"/"Waterloo", before I get up there to take a look at it and hand over the hard earned cash.

(I'm a soldier, so every spare dollar has a use...)

Mark my words, I will take numerous pics of everything there, and help connect anyone interested with the seller. (Who, by the way is actually selling for a 97 year old widow, his grandmother.)

I'll give a full and detailed report upon my return!

I am really excited about the engine, and I really appreciate all the advice given so far. I'm sure I will be requesting your collective help, advice, and expertise, throughout the project! What fun!
Old 05-19-2005, 05:32:27 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkologist
Very good advice!!

Mike
It is excellent advice! Try not to move anything very much until you KNOW nothing is stuck. Valves stick and those rocker arms fly apart. Same for mags and fuel pumps. Use a lot of PB Blaster from Napa and be patient. The pictures you take are necessary for the restoration. You will never remember whether the whatzit goes with the bend in or out without the pix. Good luck.