Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

Battery and Coil on a Jaeger?

this thread has 6 replies and has been viewed 1393 times

Old 05-03-2005, 12:45:23 PM
Registered-III

Default Battery and Coil on a Jaeger?

Hey guys. I'm mostly a lurker but wanted to pick up some info. I talked with a guy at a show this weekend and am beginning to get interested in an engine that he has for sale. He's got a 3hp Jaeger but says it runs from a battery and coil. My first thought was "ignitor" but I remembered that you can still run a plug with that setup, so it's probably a plug model. However, I can't find any info on Jaegers running off of a battery and coil unless they are missing their mags. Were the Jaegers ever run from the battery and coils originally without mags? I haven't seen the motor yet, but plan to take a look at it really soon.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-03-2005, 06:13:17 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: Battery and Coil on a Jaeger?

ok, so far as I know all jaegers were fired by some sorta magneto...if you check the S/N you could figure out the year and most likely what the proper mag was...glenn will have the answers for sure

Mac Leod
Old 05-03-2005, 09:16:25 PM
Registered-III

Jabaroni, If the engine was built before late 1923 it had a low tension Webster magneto. After that a high tension Wico magneto. No accurate serial numbers on the Hercules built engines exist , One of which was the Jeager, they were all destroyed in a fire years ago.. If the engine is being run on a Buzz coil it could be any year model. I would think it has been Rigged to run on a Buzz coil which was not the original equipment. It is a Hercules built engine as were at least six or seven other names of engines such as the Economy, sold by Sears, the Arco orchard sprayer engine, Sold by their dealers as Hercules. One was used on a hay press and sold by Linninger equiptment co. to name four of the six on more trade names. I Hope this will help a little. Joe Morris
Old 05-03-2005, 10:30:35 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 4,663 Times in 3,020 Posts
Exclamation Re: Battery and Coil on a Jaeger?

Post S/N, Glenn can date it.
Andrew

Last edited by Andrew Mackey; 05-03-2005 at 10:31:28 PM. Reason: spelling error - CRS
Old 05-03-2005, 10:41:14 PM
In Memory Of

If a Jaeger has battery and a coil, the original magneto ignition has been replaced or it is a very early red Jaeger made by the Waterloo Gas Engine Co.

Hercules records were destroyed in 1957 when the Whirlpool Corp took over the assets of the defunct Servel, Inc; however, Rudy Hufnagle, a past Hercules employee, who tried to retrieve the records never mentioned a fire.

Glenn
Old 05-03-2005, 10:43:23 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,305 Times in 875 Posts

A lot of the hercs have a date cast in the side of the block. Im with the rest of the guys Glen would know for sure but I think all of their engines came with some kind of Mag. so figure that into the price when buying.Can you post a pict.? BobRR
Old 05-04-2005, 01:05:15 PM
Registered-III

Sorry, I can't get any pics as we just talked at a show. All of his engines were running off of battery and coil, which included a Bulldog, an economy, and a Fairbanks (I think). If the engine has a mag but the mag needs to be rebuilt and he's running a batt/coil set up just so it can run, i'm fine with that, but If it's something like a Webster and it's not on the engine, it's a deal breaker because I can't afford the engine AND having to buy a magneto for it as well. Just looking for some research info is all. Thanks for the help.

Jeb