Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

3hp Fairbanks Z HIT AND MISS!!!!

this thread has 26 replies and has been viewed 9241 times

Old 05-14-2005, 05:47:52 PM
DanR

Thumbs up Re: 3hp Fairbanks Z HIT AND MISS!!!!

I guess I didn't know that the FM 3HP was not a common engine. I have just finished one, my first, and know where some others are. I have looked
at some other ones and none are like the one I have. By the s/n it is 1916. I'll be glad to share what I know about this engine and do have pictures if it will help. Regards, DanR
Sponsored Links
Old 05-21-2005, 12:04:03 AM
Registered-II

Default Re: 3hp Fairbanks Z HIT AND MISS!!!!

Hello All,
I have two 3 hp hit and miss Z's, one is complete and very original still showing some red paint and runs great. The other is also nice but is missing the mixer and battery box. If anyone can help with these please email me. The mixer is definetly different than the 1 1/2 -2hp version. It's larger and the mounting holes are offset at an angle compared to the one for the smaller engine. I have seen at least three more of these engines at various shows but I would not consider them common, the smaller one is much more common. Thanks, Mark.
Old 05-21-2005, 06:07:34 PM
Registered-III

Saw one at for sale at portland, didn' t ask the price
Old 05-22-2005, 01:04:48 AM
Subscriber

I have a FM with AB33 mag; a Canadian engine from the "C27029" serial. Plate is missing, but I thought it was 1.5hp. Now, having seen a 1.5hp FM the other day, I realize this one is bigger. What size are the flywheels on the 3hp? (Diameter & rim width) Thanks all.
Old 05-22-2005, 07:20:35 AM
DanR

My 3HP FM Z has 22x 1 3/4" flywheels. Hope this helps. DanR
Old 05-23-2005, 03:27:37 PM
Subscriber

There seems to be a little confusing of the early 3 hp Z hit and miss engines with the later ZA 3 hp hit and miss engines. They aren't really the same thing. The ZA's were the exception to the rule. Was there any choice on the early Z 3 hp's (pre-AB-33 magneto) or were they all hit and miss???

Here are some photos (I hope) of a ZA hit and miss conversion that I am making. As I began to fit things together, I noticed that the throttle governing mechansim would fit the hit and miss bracket if I drilled and tapped one hole. This would enable me to do a first start up on my engine as a throttler. I installed the throttle lever onto the hit and miss bracket, but the push rod was to large of a diameter to fit through the hole in the bracket!?!!

Aha!! That's how they must have done it! The pushrod is turned down, I guess, so the latchout mechanism has a ""shoulder"" to hold the exhaust valve open when appropriate.

I am trying to show some pieces of my uncompleted project. One photo will show the throttling mechanism attached to the hit/miss bracket where the latch-out piece would ordinarily go. Note, also, how the exhaust push rod fills the hole in the bracket where the stock rod was too big. I custom made this rod so I could use the rocker arm ball-end fitting . The valve end is stock diameter, the governor end is smaller. This may be seen in second photo.

Third photo: latchout mechanism. The pushrod hole is much larger and will allow "both" diameters of the pushrod to pass freely. On either side of the pushrod hole are the holes to mount the timer switch. The lower mounting hole is one of the same holes that I used to mount the throttle lever. The upper mounting hole used a hole that can be seen on the governor bracket photo that is unused on my contraption. (The latch-out mechanism used studs and nuts instead of the machinescrews used by the throttle lever.)

The extended lever varied the spring tension holding the latch arm "open", thus controlling at what r.p.m. the governor pin caused the latch arm to contact the pushrod, thus controlling speed.

Fourth photo: opposite side of latchout mechanism. There should be a spring to hold the latch back from the pushrod. Note the tough steel pad riveted to the cast latch lever, for wear resistence, no doubt. The governor pin pushes on the little pad on the bottom of the latch arm causing it to flop against the pushrod. It would stop the pushrod from returning to closed position because it will catch on the shoulder formed by the large diameter portion of the pushrod as it tries to go by the latching lever. Hope this makes sense.

I made the temporary pushrod so I could get my engine to run first and then work out the proper dimensions for the push rod when I could see how things worked.

Can anyone that owns a ZA 3 hp hit and miss provide some measurement/photos of this pushrod? I guessed at some of this information and would appreciate any corrections, comments, additions and more photos. If I can get that pushrod made to the right measurements, it will work. I hope you find this of some interest and that it is understable. I will worry about the correct hit and miss carburetor later. Thanks !!
Attached Thumbnails
P0002070.jpg   P0002086.jpg   3.jpg   4.jpg  
Old 05-23-2005, 04:41:30 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,206 Times in 1,144 Posts

Hi Kid, Looks like you have a piece missing...The spindle that goes through the bracket that has the sholder for the latchout to catch is not there...I made a couple of them out of CR steel on the lathe, Wasn't TOO much trouble, just a little bit of trial and error untill I got the length and diameter at the proper places correct...Then you have to harden the piece because the latchout will eat it's lunch if you don't.
Be glad to post some photos of the spindle if it will help. Or if you'll let me borrow that bracket to make a copy, I'll MAKE you a spindle for your engine!...By the way..While you're looking for a fixed jet mixer, see if you can find TWO of them.

David M.