Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

Pawnee Show. Fantastic!

this thread has 4 replies and has been viewed 1409 times

Old 05-08-2005, 12:22:31 AM
Registered-III

Thumbs up Pawnee Show. Fantastic!

I made it to the Pawnee show Friday & Saturday. Friday & Friday night was beautiful. Saturday wasn't as nice because of a few rain showers but it was still fun. There were a lot of engines on display, a lot of engines for sale, and a bunch of parts. There were also a lot of the typical none engine and tractor related stuff. There were a lot of steam traction engines, several different sizes of Rumely oil pulls and of course more tractors than you could count, or at least more than I cared to look at since I'm not into the more modern type of tractor. A friend of mine, who has been in that club for several years, said he had never seen that many stationary engines at that show before. They were almost out of room in the stationary engine area and it was a big area. There were also a lot of nice facilities. We even got some air show action throughout the day Saturday with several WWII era planes flying overhead.

I appreciated all the comments and praise of my show engines & equipment and I enjoyed answering the many questions that were asked. One of the most memorable was a little boy, maybe 10 or 11 years old, that come up to me late Friday afternoon by himself and ask me to start up each engine one at a time so he could here each one run and asked a bunch of questions. I talked with him for at least half an hour and he really seemed to enjoy it, as did I.

I met & talked quite a while to Leroy Man and a couple of other Stackers. I made a lot of new friends that I hope to run into again. If you thought about going but didn't, you missed a great show!

If any Pawnee club members read this, you put on a great show! Please pass my sincere thanks on to the rest of the team. It takes a team effort to do something like this and also a lot of community support.

Great Job! I will be back!
Jamie Gull
Girard, Kansas
Sponsored Links
Old 05-08-2005, 09:11:42 AM
Email NOT Working

Thanked 1,705 Times in 1,016 Posts
Default Re: Pawnee Show. Fantastic!

Thanks for the report Jamie, and thanks for taking the time to talk to the young boy and start all your engines for him. That could stay with him for the rest of his life. If he had gotten some cranky old coot who scolded him instead you know that would stick with him too. Kevin
Old 05-09-2005, 09:38:00 AM
Registered-III

I always have fun at that show. Of course I never take enough pictures. I would hate to even guess how many engines were there. It was ALOT. Came home weighing about 2 1\2 tons heavier If you have never been to this show you're really missing out! Another awsome Okla show is Catoosa! Its my favorite, It is USUALLY the 3rd weekend in October. Doug
Old 05-09-2005, 11:13:50 PM
Email Not Working

i was really impressed with this years show. One thing that i wonder how they do it is to get the large numbers of the younger generation there. Way more than most shows it seems to me AND I AM GLAD. I also had a younger visitor who wanted me to explain to him how a hit and miss engine worked. He understood how a regular engine worked but he just couldnt figure these out. An exhibiter a few places away had one running real slow and after about 5 minutes of explaining how everything worked and watching as all the parts did there thing he said now i understand it. The big thing he didnt get was how the governor controlled the speed and the way the intake valve worked. These are the ones who will cary us into the future. THE PAST WE INHERIT THE FUTURE WE CREATE Ed malcom the le roi man
Old 05-10-2005, 05:24:06 AM
In Memory Of Helen

Although we have never been to this show, we have friends that are involved in the show. In addition to posting your comments here, we know they would be interested in knowing what you thought of the Show and to thank you.

http://www.oklahomathreshers.org/
is the address for the Pawnee Show, try their E-cards or
pawneesteamshow@sbcglobal.net is the email address listed in the Directory.

Helen