Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

Weak Ignitor Spark, IHC M

this thread has 2 replies and has been viewed 1327 times

Old 05-08-2005, 10:25:26 PM
Registered-I

Question Weak Ignitor Spark, IHC M

Well, I got my 1918 International 1 1/2 M running tonight. First time that it has turned for 30+ years. Was a basket case when I pulled it out of the broken down shed last Dec. A real rust bucket.

Found out that the ignitor spark was weak and that is why it would not start. I thought that the compression was low in a prevoius thread but with an external coil and battery it started. It runs nice and the valves and rings are seating giving it more compression the more I run it. It is also loosening up and tuning nice and free. Have to run it some more tomorrow. I am only running it on the gas in the carb bowl for now. Have to seal the tank and try it on kerosene. While running I switched the ignitor over from the external coil to the mag and it would continue to run but would miss - spark was weak. The mag timing is right on.

Now the question is, what would make the mag weak? My first guess would be weak magnets if the winding is not shorted or gounded - which it does not appear to be. What is the best way to take them off to recharge them. I have a recharger that I built. The magnets feel kind of stuck in place even with the name plate band removed. I don't want to break anything. The frame of the mag looks like it is made out of pot metal and I know that stuff will not take too much abuse. Any suggestions?

Also, can new name bands be purchased for the mags?

Regards,

Wade
Sponsored Links
Old 05-08-2005, 11:14:46 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,158 Times in 774 Posts
Default Re: Weak Ignitor Spark, IHC M

Well... If the mag has set for years in a wet environment there could be Rust grown between the magnets and the mag body. This will make the Mag weak and make the magnets hard to remove. In extreme cases the magnets may actually break as the rust will expand. If this is the case it will take a lot of patience to remove them without breaking. I usually just try to get them to move a bit sideways and work them back and forth untill they loosen. When you have it all cleaned up you can charge it as a unit or charge the magnets individualy and place a keeper on them and slide them onto the Mag while sliding the keeper up. If the bearings are worn and the armature is dragging that will also weaken the spark. Also there are two brushes in there that can get dirty and cause problems... Be carefull with the Pot Metal as threads can strip easily..

Yes I believe you can buy replacement bands from some of Harrys sponsors.
Old 05-08-2005, 11:30:49 PM
In Memory Of

Default Re: Weak Ignitor Spark, IHC M

Wade, I'm not a magneto man so I always bring them to the repair shop. When you have a big enough charger, it isn't necessary to pull the magnetos off, the complete mag can be placed on the charger. First you could clean the slip ring, take out the brush holder and clean the slip ring with a cloth or fine sandpaper inserted through the hole in the frame where the brush holder unscrewed. Coat the slip ring lightly with clean vaseline before replacing the brush. Test the spark of the magneto by unfastening the wire from the stationary electrode in the ignitor and holding it against the hammer that breaks the movable electrode, crank the engine rapidly and observe the spark as the hammer breaks contact with the wire. When switching over from battery to magneto, FIRST coil wire off, then MAG wire on !! Attached a view of the parts.
Attached Thumbnails
partsview.jpg