Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

Need help with English "Howard" engine

this thread has 3 replies and has been viewed 1232 times

Old 05-11-2005, 08:25:23 AM
Registered-III

Smile Need help with English "Howard" engine

G'day blokes,
Its a very interesting site you have here. I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice. I am trying to find some information on an old engine made in England by J & F Howard of Bedford I suspect during the 1890s I was just wondering if anyone knows of an English forum or chat room that might be able to help.
I realise most of you are from the US, but I have been unable to find anything out from the other side of the Atlantic, so thought I would try here.

I have a few American engines, most don't go and need restoration but are reasonably complete. The oldest one does run, that's a 1909 Inter Victor 4hp. I also have some other Inters, and an Alamo of about 4hp around 1912? that won't need too much to make run, but has been converted to use a T model trembler.
I like the look of your site, and recon I will be back fairly often to keep an eye one it.
Thanks
Graham
Attached Thumbnails
Marwick 1.JPG  
Sponsored Links
Old 05-11-2005, 09:21:41 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,122 Times in 591 Posts
Default Re: Need help with English "Howard" engine

Graham,

Interesting looking engine you have there. Can't help you with information on the engine as I've never seen or heard of one before. Does look like the carb is a Marvel Schebler though. Believe similar model carburetors were used on some of the older tractors like Hart-Parr.

Bill
Old 05-11-2005, 10:21:11 AM
Email NOT Working

Thanked 1,705 Times in 1,016 Posts

Beautiful engine Graham, and welcome to Harry's engine page!
I love those curved spokes, but I'm wanting to turn the pulley around so all the spokes curve the same way. Hope you find what you need. Kevin
Old 05-12-2005, 06:06:48 AM
Registered-III

Thanks fellers,
I wish I could say that the Howard Bedford was mine, but it belongs to a friend. You are right about the carby, it's not original, she has had a different carb and had a magneto fitted back eons ago. Originaly I think it would have been continuous lamp hot tube ignition. It was repaired after breaking the rings back in the 40s and then stored in the shed because the owners had aquired a lighter more economical engine to carry on with while it was being repaired. I have been trying to find out something about it for over 6 months, but very little seems to be known about them. The owner is a friend who wants to do something with what is a family heirloom.
Attached Thumbnails
Howard Bedford Cam side.jpg   5.JPG