Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

IHC M Fuel pump question

this thread has 3 replies and has been viewed 1929 times

Old 05-22-2005, 10:52:57 AM
Registered-II

Question IHC M Fuel pump question

I have in all accounts a great running nearly original IHC McCormick Deering M 1.5hp. recently I got it out to start it and while priming the mixer the fuel tank began to overflow, whenever I start this engine I usually have to prime it. My original thought was that the check valve in the pump may be leaking by, and the privious primings just added too much extra fuel to the tank. I took the fuel line and check valve out to find that they were in good condition, this is a new pump but I reused the original fittings. My question is should there be a small spring on top of the pump check ball to help hold it in place? The ball I am speaking of is on the output line and this is an eared style pump. I found reference to a spring but this was on a button top pump and it looks slightly different then the eared design therefore I dont know if this applies to my pump or not. Your advise and help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks David
Sponsored Links
Old 05-22-2005, 12:36:45 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,305 Times in 875 Posts
Default Re: IHC M Fuel pump question

No springs on the ck. balls.Sounds like you have one of those very rare engines that makes its own fuel!! The M's have a overflow carb everytime you fill the carb to start the extra fuel runs back to the tank by the return line.Run it for several hrs and this problem will go away.BobRR
Old 05-22-2005, 01:44:05 PM
In Memory Of

Default Re: IHC M Fuel pump question

The new pumps have mostly a nipple at the charge side with an inbuilt ball and little spring to hold the ball in place. You say you reused the old one so I think you're missing this check valve. The only way the tank can overflow is when you first fill it to top and then fill the mixer with a greater amount than it can hold before draining it to the tank again.
Old 05-22-2005, 09:56:26 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 4,664 Times in 3,021 Posts
Exclamation Re: IHC M Fuel pump question

1) do not overfill tank, as per earlier posts., 2) check vent on fuel tank, if it is blocked, the return fuel may blow back, 3) check your return pipe for blockage, and or debris, 4) make sure return from carb is working, by filling carb, and then opening drain valve. fuel should return to tank.
Andrew