Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

Ever have this happen?

this thread has 4 replies and has been viewed 1217 times

Old 05-22-2005, 07:38:17 PM
Registered-III

Default Ever have this happen?

When I was at the Jacktown show, I was looking for a parts Briggs engine...I need a crank for a WMI I have. Found one, a complete stuck 5S. Great!! Took it home, and decided to tear it down. Got the head off, and the cylinder didn't look that bad...cleaned it up and got it free, same with the valves. Decided to pull off the flywheel and see what the points and mag was like...a little bit of filing, and I got a nice hot spark. Still doesn't run, but probably would with a little more work...NOW I DON'T WANT TO PART IT OUT!! Common as dirt??? Yes!! Worth a lot?? Absolutely NOT.

Has this ever happened to you? A parts engine becomes a project, no matter how common it may be? I hate to gut what might be a perfectly good, fixable motor. Now I have YET ANOTHER small engine under the workbench...well, it's on top because underneath is FULL. Oh well, maybe I can find a REALLY incomplete motor at the next show that I won't feel so bad about parting out...

Chris
Sponsored Links
Old 05-22-2005, 08:10:26 PM
Sponsor

Default Re: Ever have this happen?

Chris, Now you know how some of those JT collections got so big.
Old 05-22-2005, 08:11:02 PM
Registered-III

Yup, Have several of those, Be glad it is a "small" engine. We have a Chrysler Flat 6 with transmission and cobbled flat belt pulley set up that we found, were given and were going to scavenge a few parts from. Well darned if we didn't get it unstuck while wrenching on it, hmmmm, bet it would never let the cordwood saw bog down....... You are right it's hard to tear apart, part out, and scrap something that you could get to run again.
Peter
Old 05-22-2005, 08:35:03 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: Ever have this happen? Yes....

One year, I bought a Fairbanks ZC 3 hp with a Fairbanks type J magneto for very little as the swap meet was packing up to go home. A thorough cleaning brought out an engine with original paint and skids but no !@$%! pot-metal governor assembly. I put the engine off into a corner and kept my ear to the ground.

Now it's a couple of years later, a local fella puts up a couple of 3 hp ZC parts engines on eBay and I bought 'em, speculatin' that one might have a governor, even though both were missing their mag's and carburetors.

I get 'em home and find out that one is an early 1929 with the starting crank built into the flywheel. It is painted with olive drab as its original color has a good head, bore, piston, crankshaft, and bearings. Fairly cool, for a ZC 3 hp!

Could this be a some kind of ex- U.S. Army engine? Can't part something like this out, can I ? So I build some skids to size as per the rotten originals (which I save) except I left them long with "handles" that could be trimmed off. I made up a matching stain and then a little satin clearcoat.

This engine is now all cleaned up with its remaining original o.d. paint and I'm looking for a carburetor, and a Fairbanks R magneto and gear.

The second parts engine had a perfect, complete governor and once I found that out, I vowed to not look further at this one for now. Then I stumble onto another ZC governor that just needs the flyweight governor assembly, so I buy it. Gosh, if I can now find a few governor parts, a second Type J Fairbanks magneto and a second (third) ZC 3 horsepower carb, I can put that engine right, too.

Yesterday, the governor parts I need for ZC #3 went by the board on my favorite auction web-site and I just waved as it went by. Nice looking part, too.

Oh yeah, that has happened to me! Once, I needed just a single governor assembly. Now, I need part of a governor assembly, two magnetos, and two carburetors. Let's not talk about pulleys, gas tanks and engine trucks for now, if its all the same to you! I'm too busy...
Old 05-22-2005, 09:26:57 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 4,663 Times in 3,020 Posts

I started with 1 Pacific engineering fire pump and 4 parts units. I now have 3 running pumps and a pump ! It took 3 years to find all the parts, especially the fuel tanks (Thank You Lee Pederson). I am still looking for manuals and parts!
Andrew