Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

Portland trivia question

this thread has 12 replies and has been viewed 1998 times

Old 05-24-2005, 08:40:16 AM
Registered-II

Default Portland trivia question

Hi,
Just got back from my first Portland trip and had a great time. My question is: There is a big factory in the back of the campground. They're making SOMETHING 24hours a day. Does anyone know what they produce in that factory? Every so often you hear a long group of BANGS. Didn't notice any signs on the building.
Thanks, Luke
Sponsored Links
Old 05-24-2005, 08:51:10 AM
Administrator

Thanked 8,995 Times in 1,478 Posts
Default Re: Portland trivia question

The incessant noise from that plant was out of control. Later on, we related it to the background sound effects heard on Stephen King's TV movie, The LANGOLIERS. If you have even seen that movie, tell me if you think the sounds are the same. http://www.firsttvdrama.com/show2/history/lango.php3

What a place to have a camp ground!
Old 05-24-2005, 09:38:57 AM
Registered-III

Luke, a few years ago at the August show we were invited to a guided tour of the forging plant. They take steel bar stock, chop it in desired lengths, heat it and press/hammer it into product shape. Didn't see any milling equiptment so I think they ship it to customer as forged.

All of there operations are noisey, especially the chopping machine, but the real biggy is the air compressor.
Old 05-24-2005, 12:05:52 PM
Chris Curtis

We have a similer situation in Ohio at one of the best shows in the state. The show grounds is surrounded by about four sets of railroad tracks with a train every fifteen mins. Last year I had to camp about fifty yards from the tracks and all night long the trains would rumble through blowing their horns non stop past the campgrounds only to be answered by non stop whistles from the old steam engines on display- sort of an all night noise contest. Even with ear plugs, sleep was not going to happen. Funny thing is I can't wait to do it again this year!
Old 05-26-2005, 10:59:06 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 1,479 Times in 192 Posts

It is drawbacks such as you mention that make real estate affordable for our clubs. I consider them a blessing in disguise & the heartbeat of the industries that are now disappearing from this great nation. Bill Klein
Old 05-27-2005, 06:23:22 PM
Subscriber

Amen to that, it amazes me that anything is being forged in North America these days except decorative iron work. Short term gain for some very long term pain..."Produce or perish".
Old 05-27-2005, 09:07:48 PM
Registered-III

And I'll add hearty third to that!
I work in another dying industry: glass containers. No question that heavy industry made this country the great place it is today. "Produce or Perish" is very true if you think about it.....
One of our facilities employs a few hundred people inside...but we need support from raw material suppliers, transportation providers, warehousing sites, and an army of smaller local businesses for other critical services. In turn we provide an empty container for another company to fill, they need the same services to keep them running. It takes a lot of people to put that jar of pickles on your table or that bottle of beer in your hands.

The fact that these industries are petering out isn't just sad...it ought to scare one stiff. We became great by making things that made life better. Now, other countries are gaining tremendous economic power by doing exactly the same thing...for America and Americans. We still have a lot of technical might but because technology comes from the mind, we don't have a monopoly on it. Expect that they will figure out how to dictate world policy when they fully control both the technology and the production. Be wary of any philosophy that discourages full blown, Red, White and Blue capitalism. Be wary of those we elect to decide these issues for us as they are in contol of our future.

That forge is feeding a product to another manufacturer, maybe eventually putting a wrench in your hands. It's music to me: The sound of money being made. "Let's Dance!"
Old 05-27-2005, 11:38:26 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 4,663 Times in 3,020 Posts
Exclamation Re: Portland trivia question

There is a forge here in Rockaway NJ! They make titanium forgings for the military, and the aircraft industry (the main rotor in the jet engines is one of their products.) They have a 2500 ton press that will literally shake the town when they use it. It is air driven and can do a 4 foot stroke cycle in .3 seconds! (52 inch cylender!) They have just put the largest screw drive press in the western hemisphere into operation last december. It uses a 185 HP electric motor spinning at 3600 RPM, driving a 15 ton 8' diameter pully with an 8" flat belt! Mean effective pressure is in the area of 8500 tons! It takes 2 and 1/2 minutes to spin up, can cycle in less that 10 secomds, and takes 22 minutes to spin down - with the brakes on! (without brakes - over 4 hours!) Parts forged with this monster are secret, but we were told it usually only takes 1 cycle per part! The press is a product of Germany, and took 2 years to make operational here in the US of A. There are only two of these in the world. A special building had to be erected to house it. My fire department(of which I am a captain in), was shown the new press and the building as a courtesy during a safety walk thru that was conducted this year.
Andrew
Old 05-28-2005, 07:46:31 AM
Registered-II

Thanks for all the replies! BTW- I wasn't complaining at all about the noise, just wondering what was going on. It's kinda part of the experience.
Luke
Old 05-28-2005, 08:11:10 AM
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Leonard
Luke, a few years ago at the August show we were invited to a guided tour of the forging plant. They take steel bar stock, chop it in desired lengths, heat it and press/hammer it into product shape. Didn't see any milling equiptment so I think they ship it to customer as forged.

All of there operations are noisey, especially the chopping machine, but the real biggy is the air compressor.
Does anyone know what they make and who they make it for?
Old 05-28-2005, 10:55:46 AM
Registered-III

Bob, the day we were there they were forging parts for John Deere tractors. One part was from a billet about 1 1/2 by 24 inches. A horizontal press with three dies pressed it three times, the operator moved it thru each position. It looked like linkage of some sort, possibly steering.

A vertical machine was hammer/forging brake drums out of billets 6 inches in diameter, usually took only three licks.

The guide showed us a cart full of forgings for pinion gear and shaft (one piece) for differentials.

This old country boy had never seen anything like that, it made my day
Old 05-28-2005, 03:55:12 PM
Registered-III

It was a pretty cool tour wasn't it Ralph. Watching that big press slam down on that red hot chuck of round was really interesting, as well as the jolt you got from the floor bouncing.
Old 05-29-2005, 01:48:42 PM
Registered-III

http://www.portlandforge.com/pages/f.../portland.html

we have three of those same compressors in alittle cement room at work. very loud.