Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

IHC M Fuel Pump problems

this thread has 11 replies and has been viewed 3655 times

Old 05-27-2005, 12:05:25 PM
Registered-III

Default IHC M Fuel Pump problems

I bought a packing gland for my IHC M 1 1/2 hp, for the "button top" type of fuel pump plunger, as mine was evidently missing. Only problem, if I put the packing gland on, I can't even get the pump plunger back under the plunger arm, as the spring bottoms out. In using the packing gland, it takes up about of inch of length that plunger spring needs. The gland is about 5/8" long, but it sits up on the top of the pump housing tower, that normally the spring would go over, and down further.
Do I have the wrong type of packing gland, or could I possibly have a type of pump that doesn't use one?
Thanks, Tom
Sponsored Links
Old 05-27-2005, 01:36:02 PM
In Memory Of

Default Re: IHC M Fuel Pump problems

Tom, don't know what gland you have, but look in the images how it sits.
Turn the cam so that you got the most space, place the plunger in the pump and place the lever complete with the long bolt. That's all I can say from this side of the pond.
Attached Thumbnails
Pimage.jpg   Pimage1.jpg  
Old 05-27-2005, 02:54:12 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 4,668 Times in 3,023 Posts
Exclamation Re: IHC M Fuel Pump problems

You do not have the right type of gland. I use 1/8" graphite impregnated packing string, lightly wound around the shaft. A good plumbing supply should have it.
Place the spring and compression ring on the shaft. Next, wind only enough of the graphited string packing, loosely, around the shaft, to fill the cavity nearly to the top, and nearly to the full diameter of the gland cavity. When the the shaft is installed, the compression ring and spring will compress the packing string into the pump gland cavity. If you wind the string too tight, the shaft will bind. The pump may seep fuel for a while until the packing gets fully seated and worn in. Fuel should not run out of the packing though. DO not force the packing compression ring into the bore of the pump, it may bind and break the pump
Andrew
Old 05-27-2005, 08:35:08 PM
Registered-III

Thanks for your replies John and Andrew. I do believe I have the wrong gland. I ordered the gland from HitandMiss Enterprises.......

HM5002A Fuel Pump Packing Gland 1-1/2HP (Button Top Pump)

Could it be possible I have a fuel pump for a larger engine, instead of my 1 1/2 hp M? My pump looks just like the one in John's Engine cut-away, except that my plunger lever is "flat", not angled.

Does someone sell the gland I need?
Thanks, Tom
Old 05-27-2005, 08:36:58 PM
Registered-III

Opps, meant to attach some photos.
Attached Thumbnails
IHC fuel pump2.JPG   IHC fuel pump3.JPG   IHC fuel pump5..JPG  
Old 05-27-2005, 11:12:10 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 4,668 Times in 3,023 Posts
Exclamation Re: IHC M Fuel Pump problems

I've got the picture! the item you are calling the gland, is the compression ring, as I call it. In your first photo, it looks like the original 'gland' is still in the pump! It may be frozen in place. When the 'gland' is removed, and the shaft is put into the pump - how much clearance is there between the shaft and the body of the pump near the top of the pump? There should be about 3/16" to 1/4" clearance all around the shaft, about 1" to 1 1/4" inch deep. This cavity is where the packing goes. The 'gland' should slip in to the top of this cavity, when empty, easily, nearly all the way to the bottom. This clearance is what allows the 'gland ' to compress the packing when the spring is pressing on it. If you install the shaft into the pump and you see only about 1/16" to 1/8" clearance, then the old gland is still in the pump, and it will have to be removed. Is the pump made of cast iron (early) or yanuck (a Zinc alloy) ((late))? If it is the zinc alloy version, be very careful! These can break, just looking at them! A lot of patience and some light tapping with a lead or plastic mallet, should free up the old gland
Andrew
Old 05-27-2005, 11:23:15 PM
Registered-II

Tom: Andrew is right. The gland is still in the pump. Another way to remove it is to pull the plunger out, it is a straight shaft and will come out with a little care taken. You can then take a small cutter tool and a Dremel tool and cut it loose keeping in mind to not be to agressive. The gland that you got from hit and miss is the right gland! Cheers Paul Hokanson
Old 05-27-2005, 11:36:06 PM
Registered-III

Thanks guys! I feel like an idiot now...... not realizing that the gland / packing retainer was still on the pump. I've had the plunger out a dozen times, and never noticed the gland even wiggle. Will look at it again tomorrow!
Old 05-28-2005, 06:54:02 PM
Registered-III

You guys were right! The packing gland was still in my fuel pump..... and man, was it ever in there. I tried hooking it from the inside and pulling, putting a tube in it and prying, a little heat, tapping it down to loosen it, all to no avail. I finally tried an old trick my I believe my grandfather showed me about 30 years ago to remove a transmission pilot bushing from a flwheel on a car....... using grease and hydraulic force to push out the bushing, but in this case, the packing gland. I'm attaching a couple of photos showing the gist of it, plus a photo of the removed packing gland in case other's like me want to know what they look like. Thank again for the help.
Attached Thumbnails
packing gland0.JPG   packing gland1.JPG   packing gland2.JPG  
Old 05-28-2005, 07:24:54 PM
In Memory Of

Tom, it looks as I told you. You did a good job in IHC engineering, therefore you got the IHC stamp

Old 05-28-2005, 08:16:16 PM
Subscriber

Some day, I may use your trick. My 1-1/2 M 1924 has an original looking gland that has a little piece missing from the top rim. Since the gland is stuck and the pump is a leaker, I figured a previous owner had a go at removing the gland but only remove the piece.

The original piece has a better color than the replacement and I would like to unstick mine and re-use it. It looks like the original in this case might be re-useable, no?
Old 05-28-2005, 11:21:07 PM
Registered-III

I repacked, and put the original gland back on the fuel pump. It looks better, holds the spring in place better, and fits inside of the pump bore a lot tighter.
I wouldn't think a little chip out of yours would matter.
I forgot to mention in my earlier post, that before I removed the gland via grease and hydraulic force, I dug out the old packing, so the grease & hydraulic force would be able to get under the packing gland to pop it out.
I hope to find out soon if the pump actually pumps!