Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

Farmer/field repairs.

this thread has 10 replies and has been viewed 1408 times

Old 05-28-2005, 07:53:43 AM
Sponsor

Default Farmer/field repairs.

Have we ever had a series of farmer repair/ field repairs on the list ? I think it might be interesting. We have a member of our club who has an old Economy with a small mill that was purchased from a turkey farm. He has it all mounted on a dedicated trailer with a hand corn sheller on the other side. The kids and parents love it.They can shell the corn and then run it through the mill and take home the results if they would like to.
OOPS back to the repair part. This Economy engine had lost it's ignition parts at some point and had an automotive distributor mounted with strap iron about were the magneto and/or ignitor was probably located. There is a trip rod coming from the timing gear that trips a small piece of strap on the bottom of the distributor shaft to open the points and fire the plug through an automotive coil. For as long as I can remember the thing didn't have a distributor cap so you and the weather could watch what was going on. Then at one of the shows one of the guys found out that the bottom of one of the new blow molded soft drink bottles was a perfect fit. Now it has a domed clear cap that really sets it off Will try and get a picture of it some time this week.
Dave.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-28-2005, 09:28:33 AM
Email NOT Working

Thanked 1,705 Times in 1,016 Posts
Default Re: Farmer/field repairs.

Dave, I agree that someone should just have a book full of pictures of these repairs. Some were very ingenious, others crude, lovely, or any variation of these. At very least they are interesting, and a testament to all of McGyvers grandfathers! Kevin
Old 05-28-2005, 10:32:00 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,116 Times in 1,011 Posts

On the 4 H.P. Stover T that I am in the process of restoring, one of the bearing caps had been broke in half, and to hold it together, it had a heavy piece of steel strap that was bolted to one of the bearing cap mounting studs, formed over the cap, and bolted to the stud on the other side of the cap. I guess it worked, but I sure would'nt want to run it like that. By the way, this engine did'nt have a single shim on it, but the bearings are in great shape.
Old 05-28-2005, 12:16:59 PM
Sponsor

I remember seeing (not too far in the past) an exhaust valve rocker made out of wood and wired on the head. It appeared that it was in running condition. I don't remember if it was in GEM or where I saw it. Seems to me someone had an old Economy in GEM with a lot of bailing wire on the govenor assembly too. The wooden rocker arm engine may have been in an auction report...not sure.
Dave.
Old 05-28-2005, 02:34:09 PM

Thanked 17,706 Times in 5,300 Posts

OH MY GOD YES!!! Most of the field repairs WE have seen involve MOSTLY nails and haywire.....
Those and the usual "goose droppings" welding. I can't fault any of them for TRYING in an effort to save a few bucks, especially as many of these repairs were probably done when MONEY just wasn't....
Some of them, if done well enough, should be left alone, in my opinion, as they demonstrate not only creativity but weak points in the original design.
Old 05-28-2005, 08:59:19 PM
Sponsor

I feel the same way about brazing repairs like on a freeze crack on the head or block. I think it adds character to the engine. I did have to have a govenor bracket on a 2hp Jaeger rewelded with electric as the old brazing was barely holding by a thread. Glad it didn't let go will it was running.
Old 05-28-2005, 10:12:27 PM
Email Not Working

On my old le roi that has been in our family since 1930 sometime in the past the mag went bad and a piece was brazed on the side cover in line with the cam to use a mid 20s 4 cyl distributor. They ground 2 lobes off and i still use it . I could very easily put the mag back on but wont just because of its family history. My father started as a mechanic in 1923 and he told me many repairs they had to make because nobody had any extra money.But what to me is interesting is the fact that ALL of his tools were s and k and i still use them today. He said one day that you bought the very best and took care of them because you couldnt afford to replace them. Ed the le roi man
Old 05-28-2005, 10:35:57 PM
Subscriber

Dave and everybody else
I have a 1929 Viking Twin Garden Tractor that has been in the family for at least 30+ years and I have been running it off and on since 1976 . It has a splitdorf 2 cyl mag that has a automotive coil mounted underneth the mag.The Mag is used as a timer and you use a battery for power works like a champ. Ive had people ask me why I don't get the Mag fixed I tell them if I don't get it fixed or it back I have a useless Tractor. Oh by the way my Grandfather had this Tractor in his engine collection and he pasted away in 1976.
Bud Forrer
Old 05-29-2005, 03:04:16 AM
Subscriber

Aloha from Hawaii, where the coffee farmers were very frugal.

I've seen at least five local engines that have had a block of wood, a two or so inch piece of a hacksaw blade, some wires, and a nail riding on the cam to make a timer with a battery/coil (either low tension or buzz coil depending on how the engine was originally set up) to replace a failed magneto. These guys were more inclined to piece something together instead of paying for an expensive replacement magneto, and/or magneto repair.

Chuck
Old 05-29-2005, 09:16:01 AM
Sponsor

Have a friend in the club who has a dishpan Fairbanks that had the block of wood/nail/wires ignition system on it . Always got a lot of looks at the shows. He finally got the right mag. for it and now no one seems to pay the same attention to it.
Old 05-29-2005, 11:51:51 AM
Subscriber

I had a 1 1/2 Massey harris at one time that had a wooden rocker arm when i bought it