Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

Backwards Webster mag?

this thread has 9 replies and has been viewed 1865 times

Old 05-29-2005, 06:20:05 AM
Registered-III

Post Backwards Webster mag?

Hey guys. I just got back from a 16 hour drive yesterday to pick up an Alamo 2 1/2 engine to be the second "big engine" in my collection. I'm really pleased with it but will probably tear it down to do some cosmetic cleanup on it. Now for my question. It has a webster mag on it with the single thick magnet on it, but the mag trip is on the same side as the springs. I thought the springs pretty much always went to the outside? I may be getting too picky here, but i kinda want the springs on the outside where it's easier to see the mag trip and watch it. Is there any way to reverse the mag or take the side plates off so the springs are on the outside? Also, there is no cover band around the magnet. How is it held on if I were to get a replacement? do the clamps on the end just clamp it in and will the magnet come out or lose it's magnetism if I take the clamps off to install the band? Thanks for the help!

Jeb
Sponsored Links
Old 05-29-2005, 08:12:48 AM
Registered-III

Default Re: Backwards Webster mag?

Sounds like you have the new style webster.
Old 05-29-2005, 08:29:02 AM
Registered-III

The new style Webster also has a hotter spark, I dont believe that it can be " turned around" removing the magnet doe's not cause it to lose its magnetism. but,when a magnet is removed for any length of time a keeper of some sort of steel should be kept across the ends of it to hold its full strenth. Hope this helps a little. Good luck ln a good hobby. Joe Morris
Old 05-29-2005, 08:38:44 AM
Registered-III

I didn't know there was a "new style" webster. When did they come about and does anybody know of a serial number list for Alamo Engines? I have a vague reference to year ranges from Buzzcoil's site, but nothing specific. Thanks for the info.

Jeb
Old 05-29-2005, 12:44:19 PM
Subscriber

I have an original Alamo brochure that contains "photos" of engines with your magneto set-up. Since they are not real photos, it is hard to pick out details so I might not have concluded that the magneto has only a single magnet, but no mind.

I heartily recommend NOT messing around with this stuff. I would not even unbolt the magneto from the bracket, but if I felt it was unavoidable, I would pull the ignitor with the magneto still bolted on and not disturb it.

My semi-educated suspicions are that your magneto set-up, while "newer", is actually far more rare that the ordinary Webster AK magnetos that followed the venerable Wizard 2-S0 set-ups. Even if you could cobble it together with the springs "outside", it would not be correct and there is no getting around this point.

This newer Webster has its own unique attributes and I suggest that while it may not conform to what a person may have preconceived to be the Webster "look", it is something that is not seen very often, at least around my home town. By golly, the springs look good where they are and if someone takes notice, say at a show, you've got a story to tell and that is good!

In another vein- removing the fasteners from a Webster magneto, particularly the mounting fasteners, is not without some risk. There are some very bad things that can happen to the magneto and they all involve damage to the delicate castings. If the bolts or studs turn out of the casting and they are bent or have threads dinged, they can strip threaded holes or even crack casting parts before you can even say "I wish I had just left it".

Yes, I'm trying to sway opinion towards leaving your magneto alone but what I say is true. If the magneto doesn't work, that changes things slightly with regards to whether or not to remove it, but I still wouldn't change the spring position, even if you can. Fortunately for you, I doubt that you can. I seem to recall that the inductor shaft doesn't protrude from the outside. Turning the magneto around 180' would present a plethora of problems.

Did I mention that I don't favor altering your engine? LOL
Old 05-29-2005, 02:13:46 PM
Registered-III

Hahahaha, I appreciate your insight. Fortunately for me, the mag being a newer style has a separate 90 degree plate bolted to the ignitor itself, so I can remove the bracket from the ignitor without removing said mag from it's bracket.....hooray! So, i guess what i'll do then is remove the mag mounting bracket from the ignitor but leave the mag hooked to it. I assume I can spray the mag down with carb cleaner/brake parts cleaner to de-gunk it and then polish it up (as much as pot-metal can be polished) and reinstall it once I have the ignitor dressed up. Thanks.

Jeb
Old 05-30-2005, 09:29:24 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 6,176 Times in 2,454 Posts

Personally, I wouldn't do any more than clean it up. Also, I wouldn't use carb cleaner because it is probably too aggressive for the insulation on the coils. Mineral spirits works for me.

As to polishing pot metal, it's not gonna work worth a hoot and you may break something. Best left alone.

Otherwise, it's your engine - do what you want - live it up!

Take care - Elden
Old 05-30-2005, 05:17:14 PM
Subscriber

Are you sure that your mag is a Webster? A picture would help. It is possible that you described a Wizard with the between the mag and the engine.
Old 05-30-2005, 05:24:30 PM
Subscriber

Hi, If you post the serial # of your Alamo, it will help determine its age. A picture of the mag in question would also help. Al Wait
Old 05-30-2005, 08:21:52 PM
Registered-III

In the other thread that I posted on this ("More ignitor/mag questions), there is a link to my photobucket.com page with my pictures of the engine. I also found the Alamo serial number registry on Buzzcoil's site and fortunately a previous owner had already entered my engine's serial number (98490, 1923 model) and listed the original dealer that sold the engine! Have also since determined that the webster is a "new style" that I didn't know existed (I only knew about the old style) and the housing says it's a Type F mag. Anybody got a picture of a restored new style mag? Thanks.