Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

Aermotor "Ugly" Rocker Clone Project

this thread has 2 replies and has been viewed 1774 times

Old 05-30-2005, 09:46:53 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 6,176 Times in 2,454 Posts
Default Aermotor "Ugly" Rocker Clone Project

I've decided to take the chance of embarrassing myself by posting progress on the cloning of the "Ugly" rocker for the Webster mag version of the 8-cycle Aermotor engines. These are very rare because they were only shipped on engines with the Webster mag. The original rocker can be made to work with the Webster but the whole sheebang is too limber for the engine to run well (I've tried it! ).

So far, Frank and I have borrowed a rocker from an original engine and I've posted pictures and an account of what we're doing. The plan is to make RTV rubber molds of the parts (rocker arm, 2-piece clevis and trip cam) to use in making wax castings. We will then send the wax castings to an "investment (lost wax) casting" foundry for the pours.

We're still not at the RTV rubber mold stage for the project and, as we make our way (hopefully) to nice original looking parts, I'll update the page from time to time.

If we screw-up anything, youall will be the first to know!

If we are sucessful, I'll make casting kits available on a one-time basis at our cost. Email me if you want to get on the list. You won't have to send money 'til you know what the cost will be - we just need to know how many we will need to have cast.

There are two links below. The short one is to my home page. From there you can go to "Aermotor" then to the cloning link. The long one takes you directly to the cloning page.

Take care - Elden
http://home.cybertron.com/~edurand

http://home.cybertron.com/~edurand/A...%20Rocker.html
Sponsored Links
Old 05-30-2005, 10:13:28 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 5,701 Times in 1,228 Posts
Default Re: Aermotor "Ugly" Rocker Clone Project

Elden: Thanks for the update and links. Nice projects. Sure is nice to have a machinist/engine friend around to help on ocassion. Keep up the good work and posts. . Now if I could find a Webster set up for my Aermotor, a windmill, and......... . Paul
Old 05-30-2005, 06:57:29 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 6,176 Times in 2,454 Posts
Default Re: Aermotor "Ugly" Rocker Clone Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Spence
Elden: Thanks for the update and links. Nice projects. Sure is nice to have a machinist/engine friend around to help on ocassion. Keep up the good work and posts. . Now if I could find a Webster set up for my Aermotor, a windmill, and......... . Paul
Paul:

You bet! I think if I had an airplane hangar, I'd be able to fill it up fast. As it is, here in Florida, I have to keep the accumulation to a minimum.

Take care - Elden