Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

Question on John Deere "E"

this thread has 3 replies and has been viewed 1989 times

Old 05-30-2005, 01:04:06 PM
Subscriber

Talking Question on John Deere "E"

I just purchased my first hit-n-miss engine, a JD 1 1/2 HP. As suspected, the gas in the engine was AWFUL

I drained the tank and added fresh gas; used a little starting fluid to "egg it on". She took off once and ran a little, but ultimately won't start again.

I did pull the check valve and line and clean both out. What is the proper setting for the mixer valve, or is there one?

Everything else seems OK. I'm used to Briggs!

Thanks, Harry!

Tom
Sponsored Links
Old 05-30-2005, 02:40:07 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,305 Times in 875 Posts
Default Re: Question on John Deere "E"

Prime mixer with some gas,choke and 1/2 turn + on needle valve to start. once started open choke a little and close needle valve on till smooths out and not blowing any black smoke. The J. D. run better with some choke and about a 1/4 turn on needle.(needle setting can vary)If you think you flooded it open choke close needle, hold open intake valve and spin the engine over for a min. or two then start over.If that doesnt work take two asprin and call in the morning BobRR
Old 06-01-2005, 04:28:50 AM
Subscriber

Bob, thanks for the help! I got the engine running today, but it is definitely touchy! Once I got it running and shut down after a few minutes, I couldn't get it going again. Seems to get flooded easily, or I'm just not used to its temperament yet!!

I still suspect the mixer needs a little work as the needle is a little sloppy. I can't tell from my reference books, but I assume the brass seat is replaceable. Shouldn't this valve also have some packing?

Any help/advice greatly appreciated!

Regards to all!

Tom
Old 06-01-2005, 03:46:50 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,305 Times in 875 Posts

Glad ya got it going There is no packing on the needle valve but there should be a small spring around it to keep tension on it.BobRR