Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

Head gasket sealing

this thread has 3 replies and has been viewed 1832 times

Old 05-30-2005, 04:15:54 PM
Registered-III

Default Head gasket sealing

Hello all -

Put some time into my Bulldog 5HP today...almost there, but there's one problem (that I've found so far). Poured water into the hopper, and I have leaks all around the lower half of the head gasket, both between the head and the block, and out of the head studs. I used wire-impregnated composite material for the head gasket, and rubbed it with grease before installing...I've had mixed results this head gasket material so far, once it worked, and once it didn't. Re-tightened the head bolts, but the threads for the bottom studs are not in great shape, so I don't want to sock them down anymore. I also left water in the hopper for a while to see if the head gasket would swell, but no luck. Has anyone ever used hi-temp sealant, i.e. red permatex, with any success, or ??? Any suggestions on getting this head gasket to seal would be appreciated.

Thanks...

Chris
Sponsored Links
Old 05-30-2005, 04:23:07 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,116 Times in 1,011 Posts
Default Re: Head gasket sealing

I use a high temperature red gasket seal material that looks like silicon when it dries. I cant remember the name of it, except that I get it at NAPA. That is what I have always used, and so far it has worked great. Also, make sure the head and block are good and flush where the gasket goes. It may have some high and low spots where the water is seeping through.
Old 05-30-2005, 05:51:12 PM
Sponsor

Chris, email me with your snail mail address & I'll send you some Teflon/fiberglass gasket matl that will solve your problem. Harvey
Old 05-30-2005, 07:03:57 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 6,176 Times in 2,454 Posts

One of the things you can do on these one-lungers is to remove the studs and use a big file to dress the surface of the block and head.

Just make sure to put the pressure on the file in the middle so the file will cut true. Also vary the pattern randomly and often 'til you have file marks over all the sealing areas.

Take care - Elden