Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

Question and opinion about a dishpan FM

this thread has 9 replies and has been viewed 1560 times

Old 06-01-2005, 11:28:11 PM
Sky

Default Question and opinion about a dishpan FM

Hello guys, im getting close to getting my dishpan Z FM running but i need an opinion, do you think i should put a muffler on it so it would sound like, poof poof, or run a straight pipe like some do to hear the bark of the engine and a pop pop......it wouldn't be loud would it? i mean like, crazy loud... cuz i wouldn't want that. but on the other hand, i know they dont have that much compression.
and here's my question, when the portland show comes around in august, wich day's is it? i thought the show went on for a 4 or 5 day period?, corce this is my first time going to the show, i've been to the swap meet already.
portland is just awsome!

p.s. a straight pipe wouldn't hurt the engine and valves would it?
Sponsored Links
Old 06-01-2005, 11:57:17 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 4,664 Times in 3,021 Posts
Exclamation Re: Question and opinion about a dishpan FM

The original muffler for this engine had a unique tinny 'POP, during the exhaust stroke. I do not know if the repros make the same sound, but usually they are not quiet. They are 'mufflers', (that is, they muffle the exhaust report), not silencers (like modern cars have) A straight pipe probably will not hurt your 'Z' if you do not load it. If you intend to 'work' the engine, then a muffler is recommended so as to not burn out the exhaust valve, for lack of back-pressure. One trick I have seen, on an un-loaded engine is to take the 1&1/2" exhaust pipe and extend it out horizontally past the head. Put a 1&1/2" 90 degree street elbow (male x female), looking up, with a 1&1/2"x3" reducer screwed onto it, and install about a 4" long section of 3" pipe on the reducer, vertically. (You can make this assembly out of copper from a junk yard to save money and weight, using self tapping screws to assemble it.) This gives a deep boom to the exhaust, and makes neat smoke rings if the engine is run a little heavy on the oil!
Andrew
Old 06-02-2005, 12:10:45 AM
Email NOT Working

Thanked 1,705 Times in 1,016 Posts
Default Re: Question and opinion about a dishpan FM

My friend has a welding shop with a lot of different size aluminum and steel pipe left over. He had a Maytag with a short piece of exhaust pipe sticking up in the air. We would hold different size pipes over it and experiment with the sound. We had a regular pipe organ going! I think the one we liked the best was a piece of 8 inch aluminum about 5 foot long. Sounded sort of aboriginal to me. Maybe we had been in the shop too long. I usually don't like the looks of the straight pipes, but they do sound nice sometimes. On the other hand, it would be neat so see how quiet you could get it. (A STEALTH Fairbanks) I wonder what a glasspack muffler would sound like?Kevin
Old 06-02-2005, 02:39:24 AM
Registered-III

Skylar,

I live out in the country so I can run anything I like at home. I have noticed that at shows others don't appreciate my love of pipe music so I try to keep it quiet.

My hearing is going south fast anyway so I can't hear what people are asking me about my display if one or more of my engines are barking. Some times other peoples loud engines are a little anoying after a while.

I do like the mellow tone that can be achieved with a little trial and error with various length pipes and mufflers.

Personally I like play with the smell of the exhaust rather than the sound. I either add some caster oil to the oiler or put a small amount directly into the gas tank.

The sweet smell is one that anyone who has ever smelled it will never forget, kind of like the first day of school, fresh cut grass or water melon.

Caster Oil can be purchased at a go-cart parts store. If you try it directly in the gas don't put too much in. Caster Oil has good upper cylinder lubricating qualities and is used in racing engines both 2 and 4 cycle.

Have fun with your Fairbanks Morse they are still one of my favorite engines.

Dick
Old 06-02-2005, 11:54:54 AM
Hoarder

Thanked 2,589 Times in 845 Posts

My experience with my Fairbanks Morse is that the muffler is still fairly loud. I would consider using a straight pipe if you want a nice mellow tone.
Old 06-02-2005, 12:35:41 PM
Subscriber

http://www.tristategasengine-tractor.com

Don

and here's my question, when the portland show comes around in august, wich day's is it? i thought the show went on for a 4 or 5 day period?, corce this is my first time going to the show, i've been to the swap meet already.
portland is just awsome!
Old 06-02-2005, 08:05:11 PM
Registered-II

My FMZ has a repro muffler on it. It makes a nice pop (kinda tinny). MY 4 HP novo has a straight pipe. On this engine the casting was craked and fixed with jb weld, so i wouldn't want to use a large muffler. I cannot run this engine in the shop because it is so loud. My Z is the quietest engine I have and sometimes it is nice to be able to have an engine run at a show and also to be able to talk at the same time. I have several engines that I don't show or don't run very much because they are so loud (esp the 2 stroke Clinton).

The Simple Serf
Old 06-02-2005, 10:49:40 PM
Sky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Siefker
http://www.tristategasengine-tractor.com

Don

portland is just awsome!

Thanks Don for the portland info!
Old 06-03-2005, 12:11:00 PM
Registered-III

I like engines and talking to owners of engines. The best part of a show is talking to a fellow collector about some problem or other, but it is hard if you cant hear over the noise of the engine. A good silencer even if not original is the one trade off I'm prepared to make. just my 2 cents worth
thanks
dave from omemee
Old 06-04-2005, 10:12:20 AM
Sponsor

Thanked 4,664 Times in 3,021 Posts
Exclamation Re: Question and opinion about a dishpan FM

I made my own muffler for my FM 3 Home Lite Plant. I took the 1&1/2" exhaust and put an elbow on a 6" nipple. I silversoldered a male adapter onto a 2' sectoin of 1 1/2" copper. I then drilled about 30 1/4" holes in a staggered pattern in the last 10" of the 1 1/2" poip, on the end opposite the adapter. I cut a second 2" piece of copper, and drilled one end with about 40 holes in the same manner. I then took 2 - 3" x 1 1/2" copper pressure reducers and ground off the stops inside the reducers, for the 1 1/2", making them slip on the 1 1/2" pipe. One was silversoldered to the 1 1/2" pipe with the male adapter, just about centered on the 2' 1 1/2" pipe section, with the 3" open end facing away from the male adapter, and then a cap was silversoldered to the open end of the 1 1/2"pipe. Next I silversoldered a cap on the other 1 1/2" pipe, on the end that was drilled, and slipped the second 3" x 1 1/2" reducer over the 1 1/2", with the open 3" end facing the capped end of the 1 1/2". A 2' piece of 3" copper was slipped into the coupling soldered into the 1 1/2 " with the adapter on it, and the second reducer with the 1 /12" capped pipe in it was then placed on the other end. I pushed the free 1 1/2" pipe into the assembly until it hit the first piece, and then withdrew it about 1/2" The second 1 1/2" joint on the 3" x 1 1/2" reducer was then silvercoldered. When it had cooled, I dtilled a 5/16" hole clean thru both 3" sockets, about 2/3 of the way away from the open end of the 3" socket. A 1/4 x 20 bolt was installed to complete the muffler. I bolted the 3" in case I had to take the muffler apart to de-carbon it, but it hasn't carboned up yet. I suppose you could silversolder those (the 3") joints as well. This assembly cost less than $20.00 when I built it, and the only pieces I had to buy were the 2 3 x 1 1/2 reducers and the 2 caps. The rest were junk yard items. The sizes can be scaled up or down for smaller exhaust pipe sizes. 2 1/2" x 4", 1 1/4" x 2 1/2", 1" x 2", 3/4" x 1 1/2". Mine is nice and quiet.
Andrew