Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

15 hp Call of the West - Desjardins engine

this thread has 11 replies and has been viewed 2193 times

Old 06-02-2005, 02:35:49 AM
Registered-II

Default 15 hp Call of the West - Desjardins engine

I have just purchased this engine and am looking for some information and a few parts. If anyone can offer any leads, they would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-02-2005, 07:53:54 AM
Registered 0

Default Re: 15 hp Call of the West - Desjardins engine

There is a 7 hp call of the west engine here in Winnipeg that is a lawn ornament that is complete and loose.I found info on the web on this engine.I also talked to the owner of the engine and at least told him to cover it up during the winter.He has done nothing and i look at it every day when i drive by and it makes me sad.He won't do anything to it or sell it.I did my part to try to protect it. Dale
Old 06-02-2005, 06:33:05 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,083 Times in 495 Posts

I am storing for a friend, a 4hp desjardin. This has a webster mag and looks similar to a waterloo. You said you had some questions? If you think I might help, go ahead, just ask.
Old 06-02-2005, 08:15:14 PM
Registered-II

Thanks for the replies. I would be interested in some pictures of the govenor fly weight assembly the speed control lever. I am new to the Webster mags as well, did they make different sizes of mags for different engines or were they all the same? Once again thanks, Brian.Contact me
Old 06-02-2005, 10:39:06 PM
Registered-III

Hi Brian, From what I've seen the Desjardins is made on the same lines as a Galloway and The Call Of The West is more like a Waterloo Boy. What parts do you need? I'm not sure if the parts would be the same as a Waterloo Boy or more like the contract engines they made. Do the gov. weights stick through the flywheels? Greg.
Old 06-02-2005, 11:41:55 PM
Registered-II

Thanks Greg. The parts that I need are the gov. weights and linkage, speed control mech. and the mag. The gov. weights are mounted on a geared shaft and are driven off of the cam gear. The tag reads "The Call of the West", maybe I should not be calling it a Desjardins? Although it does say that on the tag as well. The info. that I have seen leads me to believe that you are right in saying it is more like a Waterloo Boy. Thanks, Brian.
Old 06-03-2005, 07:22:00 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,083 Times in 495 Posts

Hi Brian,

I used your link below and sent you two emails with 8 photos attached.
And, I included contact info for a man from quebec named desjardans who has quite a lot of experience with these engines. I you have a problem downloading the images let me know and we will figure out something.
And if you need more details, drop me a note.

The engine I photographed is a 4-5 hp. I must say, these are an attractive engine. I would expect the websters are all the same regardless of engine size.

Peter
Old 06-03-2005, 08:19:39 PM
Registered-II

Thanks Peter, I got the contact info and the pictures, they turned out well. I should be able to use them to make any of the parts that I can't find. I don't know very much about the Webster mags, I will have to find some information on the net. Thanks again, Brian.
Old 06-03-2005, 09:07:51 PM
Subscriber

You did not say if you had the mag bracket. Websters are generic, except for the push finger on the rear, while the brackets are brand-specific. A 15 HP would probably have had an AL-series (3 magnet) Webster. Al Wait
Old 06-04-2005, 05:24:33 PM
Registered-III

Hi Brian, I thought I had a few waterloo parts that may work but took a look and did'nt find anything. I'm always on the look out for waterloo parts so if I turn up anything I'll let you know. OR if you've gotton tired of having that thing sitting there taking up space and missing parts and all, LET ME KNOW!!! take care, Greg.

I do have an extra speed lever if you need one. It's a repro.
Old 06-04-2005, 11:20:39 PM
Card Sponsor

Hi Brian. Does your engine have the webster mag bracket on it. These engines used two styles of brackets. the smaller engines used a 303K8 bracket and the hole in the engine is flat and seals with a gasket. the larger ones like yours usually used a 303K147 bracket which is a Desjardins bracket. it has a taper on it where it fits into the engine, kind of like a Sumter Plugoscillater on a FM Z engine.
Old 06-06-2005, 12:33:05 AM
Registered-II

Thanks for all of the great information! As far as being tired of it, not a chance!! I just got it off of the trailer a week ago! I looked at the mag bracket and could not see any numbers on it, but it does appear to have the taper around the hole that goes into the block. The bracket that I have has been broken off where it looks like the base of the mag would mount. If I can't find a different set up, I will have to repair the one that I have. Greg, if you are able to send me a pic of the speed lever, I would sure like to see it. I think the one that I need has a rod with a knob on the top that you lift up and then move the lever and set the pin into a different notch on the bracket. Thanks again for all of the help. Regards, Brian.

Contact me