Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

i want to know what works good on repairing a hopper on witte water cooled engine

this thread has 5 replies and has been viewed 1851 times

Old 06-03-2005, 08:44:19 PM
Subscriber

Smile i want to know what works good on repairing a hopper on witte water cooled engine

what works good to repair cracks on the hopper?? or what works good to cover grind marks?? thanks!!! god bless!!
Sponsored Links
Old 06-03-2005, 10:17:20 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: i want to know what works good on repairing a hopper on witte water cooled engine

I am a great believer in JB-Weld.

They make several products that will work well for your purpose.

Clean the surface and follow their directions.

I have only had one problem with JB-Weld and that is that It takes a long time to set and therefore requires the surface to be flat as it will run down hill slowly.

This problem can be overcome by either making sure the surface is level or by building some sort of dam to keep the weld where you want it untill it takes it's initial set.

I have used tape, wax and clay to build temporary dams to make it stay put during it's cure time.

If the cracks are wide enough that the weld will run thru the hole then I might use some of the metal repair clay type of product to stop up the hole initially. I'm sorry that I can't think of the name of that product but it comes in a clear plastic package and is about half the size of a cigar and has a 2 part composition the catalist being on the outside and the composite being on the inside.

Simply breake or cut off the required amount and knead it together and use a toothpick or something to plug up the bottom of the crack. Then use the JB-Weld to fill and seal the leaks.

More Free Advise.

Dick
Old 06-04-2005, 12:04:13 AM
Registered-III

Default Re: i want to know what works good on repairing a hopper on witte water cooled engine

Hello,
I've used the JB weld on rear ocasions where the crack is small and not seen very easily. I've also used it to "smooth" up a bad looking weld (spongy). I don't like the idea of messing with somebody elses repair as I don't know whats behind it.

Thanks
Richard
Old 06-04-2005, 12:04:56 AM
Registered-III

Hello,
I've used the JB weld on rare ocasions where the crack is small and not seen very easily. I've also used it to "smooth" up a bad looking weld (spongy). I don't like the idea of messing with somebody elses repair as I don't know whats behind it.

Thanks
Richard
Old 06-04-2005, 09:09:08 AM
Sponsor

Thanked 4,664 Times in 3,021 Posts
Exclamation Re: i want to know what works good on repairing a hopper on witte water cooled engine

Dick, JB sets up fairly quickly, perhaps you had some old stock or didn't get the mix just right. I had some old stock JB and the set up time was nearly double the next batch I bought.
Andrew
Old 06-04-2005, 09:50:11 AM
Subscriber

thanks everyone for the ideas i will use them!!!!!!!!! take care!!