Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

Wade Drag saw

I was led to this forum by Jebaroni. Thanks Jebaroni. Neighbor gave me a Wade Drag saw. I was...

this thread has 7 replies and has been viewed 2431 times

Old 06-06-2005, 12:51 PM
Registered

Default Wade Drag saw

I was led to this forum by Jebaroni. Thanks Jebaroni. Neighbor gave me a Wade Drag saw. I was hoping somebody can tell what years it was made and how someone would start it? Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
drag saw.JPG  
Sponsored Links
Old 06-06-2005, 05:48 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: Wade Drag saw

I guess i'll go ahead and start this one off, then.

About all I can answer is basic starting proceedures. I'll assume you've never had a hit-and-miss engine before. The big brass box on the left side is the magneto. Your engine is using a Wico EK magneto. If you look under it, there should be a rocker arm and some springs on a push rod that will trip the magneto causing it to generate a spark at the spark plug. Look closely, and you'll probably find a lever somewhere down there that will adjust when the magneto is tripped. If it pivots up and down, lift this lever up and it will delay the spark (retard) so that the engine won't kick back on you. Before you wear your arms out, i would advise removing the spark plug and setting it on top of the engine and turning the engine over a few times and making sure that you see a good spark and verify that the mag is at least working. If not, ask questions and these guys will help you through a rebuild.

Equally important is turning on the gas! Most of these engines use a "mixer" which is a really simplified carb. Usually, it looks like an elbow with a needle screwed into the side and a fuel line going into it. Some have a little cover plate over the opening in the end that serves as a choke and air/fuel mixture adjustment. To start, try opening the fuel valve (needle) to about 1 or 1-1/2 turns open. Turn the engine over by hand and watch the elbow to see if there is any fuel starting to drip out of the elbow. If there is, you got fuel, so start pulling and hope it starts. If no fuel is seen pooling up in the bottom of the mixer, close the choke plate or (if there is no plate like on mine), put your thumb over the hole during the intake stroke and check your finger to see if it is wet with gas and then pull the flywheel.

Once it gets running, don't forget to flip that little spark advance/retard lever back to the "running" position or else it will run like crap and try to backfire and all sorts of other nasty things. Shutting down can be accomplished by shutting the fuel off, holding the intake valve open (it won't hit the piston), or both. Hope this gives you a place to start from! Good luck.

Jeb
Old 06-06-2005, 06:04 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,467 Times in 862 Posts

Open fuel needle 3/4 turn or so. Don't wear your best pants! Be ready to get dirty and really sweaty. You won't know for sure if it needs more fuel or is flooded, and it's not like cranking one your pickup engine with good ol' electric starter. Or it might just fire right up on the second pull.
Don't count on it though. I think you should have a check ball in the fuel line to hold the fuel up once it gets sucked up to the carb. Otherwise it would drain back down while the engine was coasting. (I assume this is hit and miss as opposed to throttle governed) Check the check to be sure it's holding. Prime the cylinder with a shot of fuel if you know you have good spark. (Hold your hand over carb mouth while rolling flywheels back on intake stroke to choke) Stand behind engine, continue rolling up toward compression, grab flywheels at top with both hands and pull HARD past TDC. Repeat till you're sure something else must be wrong... and wonder what. Continue till you're disgusted or it starts; whichever comes first. ENJOY! Kevin
Old 06-06-2005, 08:40 PM
Registered-III

well,i don't know much about wade drag saws.i appears you are getting good advice from the other 2 post.a general rule is whenever a engine has a orginal wico ek magneto on it it,s between a 1923-1952 year.the ek was first used in 1923.-chuck
Old 06-06-2005, 11:14 PM
2 Engine John

Smile Re: Wade Drag saw

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD 5020 guy
I was led to this forum by Jebaroni. Thanks Jebaroni. Neighbor gave me a Wade Drag saw. I was hoping somebody can tell what years it was made and how someone would start it? Thanks
Your engine is a two- stroke engine, which means that you mix the gas with oil (16 to1) It does not have a check ball since the tank sits above the mixer, which is a Lunkenheimer type with the spring loaded valve which lets gas in when the engine calls for it (on the intake stroke). The lever attached to the magneto is for Starting, Stopping and Speed. All the way back shuts the engine off, anything forwarded will let the engine start, moving it forward will advance the spark which will in turn increse the speed. Do not advance the lever forward too much when starting or it will kick back . I would start it in the first or 2nd notch. After you get used to the engine and know where everything is to be set, you can start the engine by advancing the spark all the way and pulling the flywheel back against compression and it will kick and start the other direction..Good Luck John
Attached Thumbnails
wade pic.jpg  
Old 06-07-2005, 12:30 AM
Subscriber

Smile Re: Wade Drag saw

Beware off the saw end of these as they are very dangerous ! The chain driven bell crank that drives the saw can damage things also.Be sure the clutch is functional.You might consider removing the master link on the chain
temperarily if in doubt.This will allow you to concentrate on the engine and get familiar with that first.When using the saw be sure to drive the dogs
securely into the log.You don't ever want it to pinch the blade and have the unit jump loose.GOOD LUCK !
Old 06-07-2005, 12:30 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Ledbetter
Your engine is a two- stroke engine, which means that you mix the gas with oil (16 to1) It does not have a check ball since the tank sits above the mixer, which is a Lunkenheimer type with the spring loaded valve which lets gas in when the engine calls for it (on the intake stroke). The lever attached to the magneto is for Starting, Stopping and Speed. All the way back shuts the engine off, anything forwarded will let the engine start, moving it forward will advance the spark which will in turn increse the speed. Do not advance the lever forward too much when starting or it will kick back . I would start it in the first or 2nd notch. After you get used to the engine and know where everything is to be set, you can start the engine by advancing the spark all the way and pulling the flywheel back against compression and it will kick and start the other direction..Good Luck John
That explains a lot. I thought the carb looked a little weird. Is there any place to get parts or manual for this beauty? Do you know what years they were made? Just by looking at it, I was thinking before the 1940s? The engine is siezed up right now. Reason I asked about starting it is because I was wondering if you needed a crank. I also have a 3 hp JD E engine on a JD paddled elevator that I restored. Thanks to all for the tips and advice.
Old 12-23-2006, 09:53 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,095 Times in 407 Posts

what does it say in the casting above the tag please e-mail me on what it says chris
cjerue@hotmail.com