Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

IHC 6 M hammer break repair

this thread has 4 replies and has been viewed 1485 times

Old 06-06-2005, 09:25:26 PM
Registered-III

Default IHC 6 M hammer break repair

Need some ideas fellows. i have a IHC 6 hp M that looks like something fell down on the igniter, breaking frame and bending the "moving" shaft. the shaft was badly rusted, pited at the springs. i have brazed the frame back together. i tried to straighten the shaft, resulting with a slight "dog leg".

thats the set up. i need to either build up the existing shaft and turn back down to a good fit. or replace the shaft, saving the lever with the point in it. is this one part? maybe a forging that has been turned down? or is the lever pressed on the shaft which is then swaged in. the shaft has centers on each end. but upon close exam, the lever end seems to have the inside swaged. any ideas? or does anyone have one laying around a poor fellow could purchase?
Sponsored Links
Old 06-06-2005, 10:22:58 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 4,663 Times in 3,020 Posts
Exclamation Re: IHC 6 M hammer break repair

Couple of questions for ya - Do you know when the engine was built? And - Is it an overstrike or understrike type igniter? ( one bearing or 2) The understrike types are scarce - pre 1919. Later ones can be had from Hit & Miss - one of Harry's advertizers.
Andrew
Old 06-06-2005, 10:58:50 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: IHC 6 M hammer break repair

all tags missing, overstrike, IHC low tension mag. three valve carb.
Old 06-07-2005, 01:35:01 AM
In Memory Of

Default Re: IHC 6 M hammer break repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhudson
all tags missing, overstrike, IHC low tension mag. three valve carb.
The overstrike ignitors are all the same for the M's, except the ten horse.
Don't know how exactly the construction is of the movable electrode. Have three ignitors laying on the bench that need a repair. Thought a nice winter project to make new parts and a gauge device to drill the holes at the right places. Maybe H-'n-M has used parts or repro.
Old 06-08-2005, 10:45:03 AM
Registered-III

Smile Re: IHC 6 M hammer break repair

rhudson,

If you have access to a lathe I would cut the shaft off close to the hammer end where it is straight and chuck it in a lathe and drill it out to the diameter of a steel shaft that is a good fit in the igniter body.

If the end is cast iron then I would pin it to the shaft with a small taper pin tapped in tight to make sure that you get a good electrical fit. If the hammer is steel then I would push the shaft into the hammer leaving it about 1/4" short of going all of the way thru. Then I would wirefeed or mig weld the end full of weld.

If you want it to look original if anyone gets to see it then chuck it in the lathe and turn the weld down leaving tool marks in the end. It's not often that anyone gets in there to see what that end looks like anyway but you do have to take them out to clean ocassionally.

If you or a friend don't have a lathe or wirefeed welder there are probably those on this forum that you could send it to to have the work done reasonably or for free.

More free advise.

Dick

Last edited by Dick Welty; 06-08-2005 at 10:53:43 AM.