Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines Briggs & Stratton, Clinton, Lauson, Maytag, Nelson, Wisconsin and other small air cooled engines.

Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines

tecumseh engine kicks back when starting.

i bought a tecumseh h-60 6hp that i put on my model 656 wheel horse. the problem is that when i...

this thread has 3 replies and has been viewed 4526 times

Old 06-07-2005, 11:14 PM
Registered-I

Default tecumseh engine kicks back when starting.

i bought a tecumseh h-60 6hp that i put on my model 656 wheel horse. the problem is that when i start it up it kick back on me and just about pull my arm out of the socket. it starts fairly easy but gets hot pretty quick then dies. would it be out of timming and how would i go about getting it back in time. any help or suggestions would be great. ken
Sponsored Links
Old 06-08-2005, 12:26 AM
Sponsor

Thanked 3,741 Times in 2,411 Posts
Exclamation Re: tecumseh engine kicks back when starting.

If the engine has electronic ignition, the flywheel key is the timing! Tech. alters the timing by using different keys. I know of at least 3 types, and they are color coded. - gold (anodised), silver, and polished (bright aluminum) If the key shears, the engine may still run, depending on where the flywheel is located on the crank. If the engine has points, check for sheared key, and check the location of the timing - magneto assembly - it may have moved, advancing the timing. Also check point gap - should be .016" Too wide a gap, makes the timing advanced. Some Tech. engines depend on a secondary source of weight on the crankshaft for the engine to run smoothly. If this engine is running bare shafted, it must have a cast iron flrwheel to run properly! the Aluminum flywheel is too light.
Andrew
Old 06-08-2005, 09:38 AM
Registered-III

Default Re: tecumseh engine kicks back when starting.

we have a briggs engine that does the same thing...give the cord a tug and get your arm dislocated...I pulled the shroud to see the fly wheel and key (no electric ignition)...all looks fine. the engine was never run when we bought it, it is from the 70's...I thing that perhaps the cam was put in one tooth advanced?

Mac Leod
Old 06-08-2005, 08:37 PM
Registered-I

Default Re: tecumseh engine kicks back when starting.

Thanks Andrew and Mac Leod for your information about my tecumseh 6 hp. It was very helpful when i get ready to tear into it. Im also going to talk to a lawn mower man that sold me the engine. Thanks again!!!