Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

What have I got??

this thread has 16 replies and has been viewed 2047 times

Old 06-08-2005, 09:18:18 PM
Subscriber

Photo What have I got??

OK--what do I have ?? and where is there help/info??
thanks d,j,
Attached Thumbnails
Radial engine 001.jpg   Radial engine 002.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Old 06-08-2005, 09:54:03 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: What have I got??

Looks like a rotary engine ground power unit. Nice find!
Old 06-08-2005, 10:15:48 PM
Registered-I

My guess is that it's an air cooled radial engine. How many cylinders does it have?
Old 06-08-2005, 11:15:31 PM
Registered-III

DJ, I will tell you exactly what you have, A fun looking project or realy good luck coming up with stuff or perhaps being a radial engine and all---an airplane starter kit (just add plane)...maybe its one of those food choppers they sell on TV for 19.95...with the blade on back...throw a head of lettuce in and get a complete salad in return....maybe it was ment to be droped in to a lawn tractor...if the tucker could have a helicopter engine,,,why not?

Mac Leod
Old 06-08-2005, 11:40:36 PM
Subscriber

OOps--I forgot--it has seven cylinders--two sparkplugs per cyl--
d,j,
Old 06-09-2005, 01:17:04 AM
Sponsor

Thanked 4,663 Times in 3,020 Posts
Exclamation Re: What have I got??

Looks cool whatever it is!
Andrew
Old 06-09-2005, 04:42:02 AM
Registered-III

Smile Re: What have I got??

dj,

Up where you live in Idaho that is probably rarer than it is down here in Southern California.

But while they are still somewhat rare here I have seen several of them being used as air circulating fan engines for orange groves. Cold dense air stays close to the ground as the warmer air rises. By blowing the air around the cold air is mixed with the warmer air from above thus hopefully keeping the oranges and trees from freezing.

They have now removed most of the citrus from the Corona area here in Riverside California but a few years ago there were several of those on towers in the groves.

I stopped to ask a grove manager about them as I thought that they might have been old surplus aircraft engines which are sometimes valuable for those who restore earley aircraft but he said that they were made for the purpose they were serving.

Your engine having two sparkplugs might have been an aircraft engine as those often had twin magnitos and sparkplugs. If the ignition goes south on your car you coast over to the curb and fix it but if the ignition on an airplane goes south so do you.

Here in Temecula where I live they use big block Ford truck engines for the fans which have about a 12 foot blade geared down.

I live about a mile from where they just receintly have removed the groves to plant more vinyards and I remember hearing what I first thought was hellacopters earley in the morning on exceptionally cold nights.

It's now 1:32am here and I still can't sleep but that does look like you have a fun project.

Several times at the Vista Gas Engine and Tractor show in So. Salifornia I have seen someone running a radial engine and it always draws a big crowd.

The one I have seen is a somewhat rare diesel radiel engine and when it is hitting on all of it's cylinders it sounds great if somewhat loud.

Dick
Old 06-09-2005, 06:00:06 AM
Registered-III

Any chance it's out of a tank ?
The WW2 general Grant and Stuart tanks used a radial engine, but I have no idea what they look like.

Very interesting find
Old 06-09-2005, 10:22:56 AM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihorse
OK--what do I have ? and where is there help/info?
thanks d,j,
Looks like a Continental, perhaps a model W-670 or R-670. These engines, or variants, were used in aircraft, tanks, and other military vehicles.

Rob
Old 06-09-2005, 12:14:34 PM
Subscriber

I did find a date in one of the center castings--4-29-45. seems to be a late WW-2 mfg--I need a starter, and at least one seven cylinder mag,--also, are any of you have any info to share/? or can tell me where to get info? this is a totally new project for me---first time jitters are kicking in.[you all have been there]
thanks d,j,
Old 06-09-2005, 12:57:07 PM
Chris Curtis

Just be careful and do your homework, several years ago some joker brought a similer engine to a show in northeast Ohio and must not have known enough about it because he revved it way up and parts started flying injuring four bystanders. The show grounds insurance company decided the risk was to high after that and effectively ended that annual show. Proof that one accident can screw things up for everybody!
Old 06-09-2005, 04:45:54 PM
Registered-III

It is a Continental W-670 7 cylinder radial allright. 250hp. Rather heavy. Very similar to the Stearman version of the engine, but without weight saving techniques such as solid gears and much heavier wall cylinders.

I had 2 of them - gave one away that was siezed up from sitting on its nose in the mud. The other I stripped down somewhat - removed the shrouding and the clutch and just ran the aluminum fan/flywheel for cooling air. I ditched the electric starter and installed a wind-up inertia starter.

Several people on here probably saw it at Coolspring a few years back. I will attach a pic of it running there.

Unfortunately this engine has a sad story to go with it. The last time I ran it, it hydrauliced on me. It tended to accumulate oil in the lower 3 cylinders while it was stored, so I always removed the lower sparkplugs and drained the cylinders before running. I also turned it through several revolutions before putting the plugs back in. Apparently it pushed some oil into an intake runner, because after doing all that I wound up the inertia starter, primed it, and hit the starter clutch. It fired about 2 or 3 times before stopping so suddenly it almost came off the ground. Sure enough, more oil in the lower cylinders. I think it bent one of the slave rods. You can turn it freely about 320 degrees, but then it locks down with a little scraping noise. I have not had the time or ambition to jump into that project yet!

Jason
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN0786.JPG  
Old 06-09-2005, 07:59:28 PM
Registered-III

Talking Re: What have I got??

When I was a Navy airdale and a lowly Airman, we used to have to go out on the flightline and turn the engines over pulling the prop through several times. I believe it was to get the oil out of the cylinders. Of course this is over 52 years ago before they got rid of the props and went to jets. Maybe you need to rig something up to turn it over before you fire it off. Dick in the hot, hot, Finger Lake Region of NY.
Old 06-09-2005, 08:11:49 PM
Email NOT Working

Thanked 1,705 Times in 1,016 Posts

I think he said that he did rotate it exactly as you are saying Dick. Kevin
Old 06-09-2005, 08:39:12 PM
Subscriber

Jason--thanks for that info--could you send me info--I want to take it apart and go through it--don;t know where to really start--also about the starting idea you used--can you tell me about that--or anything else--a mag --a repair manual--perhaps?-anything--how does it get oil--and fuel?
thanks d,j,
you can e-mail me direct--ihorse@srv.net
Old 06-10-2005, 03:23:11 PM
Registered-III

Oh, and as someone else posted these were used in both the Stuart tank and one of the landing craft of WWII era. Mine have tags saying US Navy Bureau of Ships so i assume mine were from the landing craft. These engines with that distinctive rear mount were used interchangably with the 9 cylinder Guiberson DIESEL radial of about the same horsepower.

I found a place out in Kansas or somewhere like that that is big on the R-670, which is the aircraft spec version of the engine. The parts pretty much interchange between them, and I remember somewhere reading the FAA has approved using the tank cylinders on aircraft... They would be your best bet for parts. I would have to dig to find contact info for them.

I should have the original 12v electric starter I took off mine stashed somewhere in the shop. The inertia starters are much harder to find. I have seen the electric ones on Ebay fairly recently...
Old 06-10-2005, 04:40:38 PM
Registered-III

BTW - the 670 in the designation refers to its displacement in CUBIC INCHES!

It will shake the ground when it's running, yet there is little or no vibration because it runs so smooth...