Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

4 hp woodpecker

this thread has 5 replies and has been viewed 2106 times

Old 06-09-2005, 04:38:28 PM
Mike F

Default 4 hp woodpecker

i recently purchased a 4 hp woodpecker hit & miss engine
no. 7707 4oo kbb((( this is my first engine, now totaly adicted)))

the engine was a very good un- restored condition.

after replacing the model t coil with a 12v auto coil it ran flawlessly for 45 mins ,,, i stoped it and after about an hour , restarted with only one crank of the fly wheel, oh!!!! what a joyful time it was...

the dang this has only hit a few time here and there since.... i felt that the spark was getting weak , so i replaced the coil to no avail ,, but the spark got better ,,, but seems weak again should i try adding a condinser????

i have also tryed starting it with the needle valve totaly closed , opening at very small encroment untill it was totaly flooded ..to no avail

it will fire , but only once or twice , not enough to open the goveners ..

i'm looking for some info also on this engine... ive seen woodpeckers in a book that i borrowed from a friend ,, the book was loaded with engines some 23000 of them but only 2 pages of woodpeckers ,, all of the woodpeckers in this book had 6 spokes on the flywheels mine has 5 , and they are original . each part on the engine has a number on it. for example the head = wp 33
the housing=wp1b the flywheels =wp 17
Sponsored Links
Old 06-09-2005, 11:58:35 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,305 Times in 875 Posts
Default Re: 4 hp woodpecker

Is this a spark plug or ignitor engine?BobRR
Old 06-10-2005, 07:09:05 AM
Mike F

spark plug ..... and i have two new plugs and an old defender plug that was in it.

thanks
Old 06-10-2005, 02:03:18 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,158 Times in 774 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike F
spark plug ..... and i have two new plugs and an old defender plug that was in it.

thanks
Well if you use an auto coil you must use a condensor with it. You can just hook the condensor across the timer or points. Problem is a Model T Coil will make spark when the points close and an ordinary auto coil will make spark when they break and timing may be an issue. Model T coils have a built in condensor. It's Possible your engine was rigged to use a coil and spark plug when the original mag or igniter failed.

Todays gas seems to be pretty good at fouling spark plugs and with weak spark you could have problems. You can go to Harry's ignition pages for a Lot of Good info...

Last edited by Ken Majeski; 06-10-2005 at 06:15:46 PM. Reason: Kan't spell Model T
Old 06-10-2005, 05:27:13 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,305 Times in 875 Posts

I think your going to need a good buzz coil. I havnt heard of anyone having very good luck trying to use a auto coil on a spark plug engine!.Im surprised that it started and ran that long on the car coil. Like Ken said timing could be a issue as well not a hot enough spark. The buzz coil makes several sparks when the timing contacts close compared to only one when they break on the auto. coil.BobRR
Old 06-14-2005, 01:15:05 PM
In Memory OF

Bob,

Is your Woodpecker tank coled or hopper cooled? If hopper cooled is the gas tank mounted on brackets attached to the hopper or on a wooden
stand forward of the engine? Unless HP is on the tag it is probably a 3 1/2
HP. I have a manual showing about all the different model Woodpecker
engines. The 5 spoke are the early ones and were built between I think 1905 and 1910. I presently have only a tank cooled and a hopper cooled.

Charlie Bryant