Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

Need Taylor Piston info!

this thread has 11 replies and has been viewed 1370 times

Old 06-13-2005, 05:04:06 PM
Registered-III

Angry Need Taylor Piston info!

Hey guys;

Anybody out there know the original stock dimensions for the cylinder bore (small side) on a Taylor Vacuum engine? I was dissappointed with my machine shop today when I went to drop my engine off. The helper guy that was there didn't know how to get the wrist pin out of the piston (assumed it was pressed in, but there's a set screw that's plainly obvious that holds it in). I wanted them to check out the cylinder bore and see if my new piston rings would be within spec in that bore or if i needed oversized rings or a sleeve job. Similarly, I wanted the ring grooves inspected to see if they were good as well and the guy said that he couldn't check them unless he knew what the original specs were. Same thing for making a new wrist pin. I told him that the sides of the pin aren't worn...just the middle where the connecting rod is and so he shouldn't need specs to make a new wrist pin. I feel bad when I have a better idea of how to go about inspecting and making a new part than the engine machine shop operator does.....

So anyways, I plan to go back tomorrow and talk with the shop foreman who is much more knowledgeable. IN the event that he still won't do anything unless he has specs, does anybody have piston ring specs and cylinder bore specs that I can hand to him? Thanks in advance.

Jeb
Sponsored Links
Old 06-14-2005, 09:56:45 AM
Sponsor

Thanked 4,663 Times in 3,020 Posts
Exclamation Re: Need Taylor Piston info!

You will find in that in todays world, there are not many good mechanics out there. If it does not have a computer to tell them what is wrong, they are totally lost! Most of the mechanics now days are 'parts changers'! They have no idea on why something works, or how, they just change parts. The days when a man could trouble shoot a problem, are fast coming to an end. Your case is a case in point, it's pretty bad when you have to tell a 'mechanic' how something is supposed to fit, or go together . As for ring fit - pish the rings into the bore about mid way up the bore. make sure the rings are square with the bore - measuer om 4 sides to end of bore, and make sure they are even, one at a time, and measure the end gap. should be no less than about .002, and no more than 0.10 . Place the rings in the grooves, and slip a feeler guage between the ring and the piston. should be no more than .002 side clearance, or you will get blow-by. As you stated, common sense on the wrist pin fit. A lot of engines used a model T front axle king pin, cut to size for the wrist pin!
Andrew
Old 06-14-2005, 10:35:04 AM
Registered-III

Default Re: Need Taylor Piston info!

Duh! I feel dumb now. I kept thinking that you had to have the rings installed in the piston in order to measure ring end gap....forgot that you could just insert them into the cylinder by themselves.... I was also surprised to see how well the wrist pin appears to be. There is slight wear, but I'll get the guys here at work to mic it and see how much clearance it really has. If I can make some new shim stock spacers, they may even be able to align bore my connecting rod bearing and all i'll have to do is grind the grease passages back in it. I also saw in the Starbolt catalogue that the standard rings i ordered are 3 1/2 x 3/16, so that should give me an idea of what the cylinder bore is supposed to be so I can check it against my mic findings. Thanks for the memory jog.

Jeb
Old 06-14-2005, 12:50:28 PM
Registered-III

Oh yeah, what's the best way to clean a really carboned up piston? Will electrolysis damage aluminum? i plan on dunking the block in the electrolysis tank as it is really really dirty before I check the clearances and figured I might dip the piston in there with it...any objections?

Jeb
Old 06-14-2005, 04:16:51 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,305 Times in 875 Posts

I dont know if eletrolysis will work on carbon?A Wire wheel will though!BobRR
Old 06-14-2005, 05:04:14 PM
Subscriber

Buy a gallon can of "Chem dip" carburetor cleaner from Auto zone. It will clean that carbon off and take any paint off too. I used it on my painted aluminum Fairmont carb and the paint and carbon came off with a soft brush. I think its around $15.00 and even has a parts basket in the can.
Old 06-14-2005, 05:27:54 PM
Registered-II

I have never used it but I have seen this stuff recommended on other boards.
http://www.orisonmarketing.com/clean...on/carbon.html
Old 06-14-2005, 05:51:09 PM
Registered-III

I hear what you are saying, but it's hard to put an entire engine block inside a can of carb cleaner. Also hard to wire brush inside a cylinder. I'm trying the electrolysis tonight on the block and it should be ready in a couple days. I've used electrolysis before and it is a miracle worker! I'll even try to get some before/after pics of it.
Old 06-14-2005, 07:36:36 PM

Thanked 17,702 Times in 5,299 Posts

An old hacksaw blade used backwards works very well for scraping the crap out of the groove bottoms......and it won't cut the sides of the lands...
Works even better if you have a lathe to turn the piston. That's how we ALWAYS clean 'em up.
Old 06-14-2005, 09:33:27 PM
Registered-II

I sure am confused!
Old 06-14-2005, 11:14:59 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,305 Times in 875 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebaroni
Oh yeah, what's the best way to clean a really carboned up piston?

Jeb
Chip I dont think your the only one! Wire wheel for the carbon on the piston!To clean the ring land a old broken piston ring that is the same width as the stock ring makes easy work on cleaning the lands.The chem dip works great for cleaning small parts(ones that fit in a 1 gal. can) especially carbs.I have 2 cans one for parts in general and one just for carbs.Like Scott said it will eat paint and pretty much any other gunk. One thing I did have happen with a can of it was it ate a hole in the bottom so now I keep the cans inside a plastic bucket.BobRR
Old 06-15-2005, 12:14:13 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,052 Times in 733 Posts

Wire wheel that piston it works good and wear a full face mask or else you'll be plucking the "wiskers" out of youre face. Chem dip works extremely well for removal of almost any thing on our old motors. I have seen some commercial size cans of it but i imagine it would cost more than 15.00