Steam Engines
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Stationary Steam & Traction Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Stationary Steam & Traction Engines Antique steam engines, traction engines, their boilers and the related things that make them run.

Stationary Steam & Traction Engines

New York Safety Steam Power Co.

excuse the dual post, put this in the steam ads, but perhaps this is a better place. picked up a...

this thread has 8 replies and has been viewed 1806 times

Old 06-13-2005, 10:55 PM
Registered-III

Default New York Safety Steam Power Co.

excuse the dual post, put this in the steam ads, but perhaps this is a better place.
picked up a New York Safety Steam Power co bottle engine this weekend in pieces. Would like to know of a location where I can see one so I know how mine should go together as well as what its age is.
My serial number is 8316
Thanks Harry.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-14-2005, 07:41 AM
Subscriber

Default Re: New York Safety Steam Power Co.

I have one, if there is some specific area you have a problem, send me an email and I'll can take some photos. There are two at the New England Wireless and Steam Museum. They have pictures on the web. That is a Rhode Island built engine. For a donation, Bob Meriam can provide some history and catalog photos. He might be able to estimate and age, I doubt there are exact records on that maker. I did not have to assemble mine, but it looks very standard. Nothing unique. You might consider hauling it all to a show where they play with steam, I'd think in a few hours you could get plenty of volunters to help piece it all together. You might want some hands on to setup the valves.

You can search this forum there have been a few posts in the past. Search: "New Your Safety". I see there is a picture by Bob Helin and other by Deam Alling (guests). I cannot get my cd drive to open, so cannot access my images. ##!@* Computers!

Perhaps you can post a few photos? It would be interesting to see the oilers, name plate and get an overall sense of what you have size and style valve chest. I'd also be interested to hear you plans for the engine. Is it a keeper?
Old 06-14-2005, 07:27 PM
Registered-III

Here are some pics.
What do you all think? new to this steam stuff,
One part I am obviously missing is the ecentric follower for the valves.
thanks harry for this site.
Attached Thumbnails
MVC-002S.JPG  
Old 06-14-2005, 07:32 PM
Registered-III

the engine base is 35" tall
piston is 5" in diameter
the valve/piston housing is 10" tall.
Old 06-15-2005, 07:03 AM
Subscriber

Well, you look to have your hands full. The NY Safety is a fairly well sought after engine, and you have the name plate. A few things I dont see include the base and flywheel. Your round valve chest is a nice to have. Mine is rectangular as was used on the larger engines. Too bad your way out in Kansas with a RI engine. Lots of them around here. I would not mess with the builders plate, right now no question its origional to the engine.

These engines all use pickering governors, the size determined by the steam pipe inlet on the top of the valve chest. I think your is a one inch. The weight, I believe my catalog states is 1500 pounds. Thats with the base and flywheel.

I scanned the engineering type line drawing that shows parts and assembly to a limited degree. its a 60k jpeg and I'd prefer to mail direct rather than post it here. I am running low on picture storage. I notice you pics are only 3k and yet still large and clear. I'll have to sharpen my posting teniques. When you reply to my email, I'll email back the diagram.

I would fashion a temporary wooden base and skid and start piecing it together. I might try and clean the crank and other surfaces as i went along. Either way, hard to tell what you got unless you start in with some re-assembly. I can take some closeup images and email those to you also. I think you may have a few extra parts there too.
Old 06-15-2005, 09:18 PM
Registered-III

As I look at my parts and the engine, I have the following questions for the group:
1. Anyone know what the specs are for a flywheel for this size of engine?
2. sources for a governor?
3. spec/source for oilers? I have one, but it is broken all to pieces and is really small.
4. what sort of gasket material should I use when putting it all back together? not familiar with steam, I plan to run it on air.
5. missing the rod for the valve ecentric and the ecentric follower, could anyone have a closeup? so I can recast that part?

thanks to all, I really enjoy this hobby, perhaps the thing that makes all this old iron so much fun is all the good folks in the hobby.

Greg.
Old 06-16-2005, 07:26 AM
Subscriber

HI greg,

I found a page of specs for NY Safety. I emailed you a copy. I'll take a shot at some questions. I see I made a mistake you have a 5hp engine and the weight is 522 pounds.

Is there any chance to go back and look for more parts. Would be nice to find the flywheel.

question 1. Flywheel is 24" od and 5" face. Crank 1 15/16 inch. Temporary you can substitute a pulley. Worse case you could make a pattern and a pulley might be a good start for a pattern. If the spokes look right, then buildup the rim. A guy on the gas engine forum just cast a bulldog flywheel. Makine one would be a lst resort for me. I'd wait a year or two and see what turns up, maybe post here every few months "wanted" and check local sources.

question 2. Ebay has governors, very costly. You might haul your project to a show and let folks see what you are up to. You might be pleasently surprised.

question 3. Dont sweat the oilers, any drip oiler will work for now. One thing too note is on the side of the frame there are two oilers for the crosshead. The older engine used a pipe fitting, the newer ones had a resevior held in by two screws. Look close, Do you (or past tense)have a pair of screw holes per oiler ? If not then, good. All you need is a 90 degree elbow and a drip oiler. And older the better, too.

Question 4. Gaskets. For the covers I use some heavy paper like stock, purchased years ago. I hope another staker can help here. I also use orange hi-temp silicon on the gaskets. You need valve packing, that you get from the plumbing supply house. This is like a graphite impregnated rope that you wrap around the piston and valve rod and tighten the nut. Same idea as used in old gas engine fuel pumps, but different product.

Question 5, I email a page of parts from the NEW&S library.

You should contact Bob Meriam, curator of NEW&S. He is great guy and might know the location of an engine close to you or put you in contact with another owner of a 5hp. He knows quite a lot about this maker.

hope this helps
peter
Old 07-08-2005, 09:57 PM
Subscriber

I just found you on this spot I sentyou 4 pictures today let me know & i will send them by USM , after seeing your pictures i will take some more for you Gailey
Old 08-08-2005, 10:49 PM
Registered-II

Hi: Greg
I have a good supply of the Gasket metural for your steam chest lid. send me the dia. and I will send you a pice for the postage. I have a 22 Keck and have some lift over pices from cutting a head gasket from steam and Gas engines too. Governor man Paul.