Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

Bulls Eye Engine

this thread has 4 replies and has been viewed 2193 times

Old 06-14-2005, 03:24:33 PM
37G

Default Bulls Eye Engine

Anybody know anything about bulls eye engines.

It says montagomery wards on it...did they make them or sell them?
Looking at one a guy has. Looks neat.

What is a good value to offer him.

How many of these were built?

It is a smaller one....i thought it was a 2 hp but cant remember for sure.

I dont want to insult him with an offer. Turns over...he had it running 1 1/2 ago and runs good. Said we could try to get her going when i go back next time.

I havent heard a lot about these engines...actually i 've never heard of them. What else does anyone know.

Is this a good model to start my collection with? What other bulls eye models/sizes are there that i could also collect. This engine looked really fascinating.

PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF YOU HAVE ANY HELP. IT IS GREATLY APPRECIATED!

ANy help would be great
Sponsored Links
Old 06-14-2005, 11:44:53 PM
Email NOT Working

Thanked 1,705 Times in 1,016 Posts
Default Re: Bulls Eye Engine

I'm fairly certain Wards didn't make any engines. Someone else made them for them. Different makers at different times. I don't know what they've been selling for, but you can' buy much running hit and miss for $1,200.
It depends on what parts are missing or broke, and what condition it is in overall. If you don't know anything about them, it might be better to buy one that is running. You can wrap up a lot of money in parts trying to complete one. Someone at a show or local club would be good to talk to for lots of specific information and help in starting an engine or buying your first one. That's all I can tell you. ENJOY! Kevin
Old 06-15-2005, 12:25:35 AM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by 37G
Anybody know anything about bulls eye engines.

It says montagomery wards on it...did they make them or sell them?
Looking at one a guy has. Looks neat.

What is a good value to offer him.

How many of these were built?

It is a smaller one....i thought it was a 2 hp but cant remember for sure.

I dont want to insult him with an offer. Turns over...he had it running 1 1/2 ago and runs good. Said we could try to get her going when i go back next time.

I havent heard a lot about these engines...actually i 've never heard of them. What else does anyone know.

Is this a good model to start my collection with? What other bulls eye models/sizes are there that i could also collect. This engine looked really fascinating.

PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF YOU HAVE ANY HELP. IT IS GREATLY APPRECIATED!

ANy help would be great
The Bulls Eye is a darn good engine. I believe they were made by Jacobson and most or all were side shaft engines which are highly sought after. If this is a real side shaft Bulls Eye, it is definately an engine to start your collection out with a BANG! Many collectors never get a crack at an engine of this caliber, for a reasonable price anyway. Speaking of price....I don't know what would be reasonable, but I am sure somone else on this board could help. Good luck, and keep us posted.
Old 06-15-2005, 10:34:02 AM
Subscriber

I think a lot of us would not hesitate at paying $3500 for a sideshaft Bullseye. Some would pay more. My thoughts.
Old 06-15-2005, 03:10:00 PM
Registered-II

The Bullseye Engine was made for Wards by Jacobson Machine Mfg. Co. of Warren, Pa. I think the smallest sideshaft made was the 2 1/2 HP. Jacobson did make a smaller engine called the Sturdy Jack that was about 1.5HP and was not a sideshaft. I have the "Instructions and List of Renewal Parts For Jacobson Gasoline Engines 2 1/2 HP to 16 HP" (Warren, PA) & the counterpart from Titusville plant. The Warren plant burned in about 1924-25 and operations moved from Warren to Titusville. These are highly desirable engines! Don Worley from Warren, Pa has many parts available for Jacobson engines. I have a 6 HP headless Jacobson sideshaft that is a great runner. ChuckO