Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

BYB Question

this thread has 6 replies and has been viewed 1433 times

Old 06-18-2005, 07:40:55 PM
Dennis

Default BYB Question

Did I read correctly on page 61 of the new GEM magazine that Mr. Wendel will be offering a reprint of the BYB!!!
Sponsored Links
Old 06-18-2005, 07:42:15 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: BYB Question

I saw that also.......
Old 06-19-2005, 06:02:09 PM
Registered 0

Default Re: New Engine Bible (BYB) from C.H. Wendell

I was wondering if this new reprint of the BYB is also an updated version with new information and newly discovered engines or just a reprint on the 1983 original.Maybe someone out there can give us more info on this ????Dale
Old 06-19-2005, 06:52:41 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,083 Times in 495 Posts

I was wondering the same thing: Would the BYB reprint would have any new info. I went to GEM pg 61 and read the ad carefully. He did not mention any revision and I assume if there was any new information that it say so. Chuck does say somehting to the effect he had a battle to regain control of his book and would be offering a limited reprint in the same yellow cover. My hope would be that eventually we see an revised book. I think short term this is a chance for the new guys to get a reasonable price copy. The price is $50 bucks, included postage. Available to ship in August but can be ordered now. And here is a good reason to subscribe to Gas Engine Magazine, starting with the July issue.
Old 06-19-2005, 07:13:17 PM
Registered-III

Peter:: Think there is a story there .. Something about Money Grubbing Publushers... Makeing them wait out the rights.... I think C H Wendal is doing us all a favor..at $50.00 ... Went to the Postoffice as soon as I got to the house and saw pg. 61.... Should I leave it in plastic and continue useing 1983 version ...What do you think it wiil do to High Dollar E-bay originals..Got My Moneys Worth All Ready..Byron
Old 06-19-2005, 07:58:43 PM
Subscriber

If the "new" version passes muster with early buyers, I would go that route and forget about the eBay books. I was fortunate to get a copy before the price went ballistic, but frankly, the book isn't really a high quality binding.

I'm careful with mine but it won't be long before the pages are falling out, anyway. I would think that others are experiencing similar things with their copies.

Now we can collect all the versions, regardless of cost or scarcity, just like John Deere engines. I just neeed the Red copy, the leather bound copy, a paperback copy, and the new printing and I'll have a full set!????!!! LOL LOL

I hope this means that Mr. Wendel will profit from this.
Old 06-19-2005, 09:34:36 PM

Thanked 17,702 Times in 5,299 Posts

Here's the REAL deal: Krause Publications of Iola, WI, WAS going to do a SUPER Engine book update and was in negotiations with Wendell for a long time. BUT...the company was bought out by F+W Publications of Cincinnati, OH, and they are, as I understand it, more of a holding company...and you know what THAT means.
While they DID go through with a 2nd edition of the "Standard Catalog of Farm Tractors 1890 to 1960" they finally nixed the engine book to my (and Chuck Wendells for SURE) great dismay.
Even as I am writing this Krause Publications is AGAIN on the block after F+W bought the company in June of 2002.
I know for a FACT that attempts were made to get this book updated and published but it just didn't happen.
I literally PLEADED with them to see this book through but Corporate shut it down.
What a shame!
Craig