Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

My Word is My Bond.

this thread has 29 replies and has been viewed 3870 times

Old 06-21-2005, 10:07:52 AM
Subscriber

Default Re: My Word is My Bond.

Jennifer, You hit the nail directly on the head!!! Ending an auction early is just plain wrong!!
Sponsored Links
Old 06-21-2005, 11:43:44 AM
Registered-II

How many of these are situations where a collector is getting a bargain and the seller realizes this before the transaction is completed?

If I knew absolutely nothing about the engine I was selling and the potential buyer, knowing my ignorance, offered me a pittance for a nice engine, I would be disturbed to find out that the engine was worth many times the agreed selling price.

This is a matter of ethics for both the buyer and the seller.

-Colt
Old 06-21-2005, 01:47:26 PM
Subscriber

As the old saying goes, "trust him in nothing who has not a conscience in everything."

Ending an auction early is just plain dumb. Why would anyone ask you to end your auction early except in the hope of getting the item for a lot less than it will probably sell for?

Of course you avoid some fees, but you have less protection as well and everyone knows most of the action happens in the last seconds of the auction, usually.

Last edited by Robt.; 06-21-2005 at 04:49:02 PM.
Old 06-21-2005, 02:43:10 PM
Nate

I feel that I have to respond to Jennifer..

IF YOU ARE THE HIGH BIDDER AND THE SELLER CLOSES THE AUCTION TO SELL TO ANOTHER EBAYER THAT IS AGAINST EBAY POLICY AND UNETHICAL...NOW THAT BEING SAID

Your post is based on your personal opinion and/or ignorance of Ebay
policy...when we all sign up on ebay as buyers or sellers we agree to
abide by their policies and terms of use and this gives us the right to
use any option they allow to buy or sell. It is a well known fact that Ebay has a "Buy it Now" that can be posted on the seller's page but it is lesser known fact that Ebay has and allows a type of buy it now that can be
used at any time by the seller..in order to qualify for this,the buyer "MUST" be the high bidder...

So if you don't want to lose out on an item there is a way of preventing it (in your words) be "man enough" to step up to the plate and place your bid ASAP and become the high bidder..then and only then do you
have a right to complain or pout for a few days...

If you're not the high bidder you're only a spectator...
Old 06-21-2005, 02:55:20 PM
Registered

I understand what you are saying, and we have had auctions ended early when we were the high bidder. It's because someone weaseled in and contacted the seller and had him end it. I agree with you about being the high bidder, and not waiting until the last few seconds to bid.
Old 06-21-2005, 03:22:43 PM
Nate

Jennifer..report the lowlife to Ebay..it may not do a lick of good ..but you will feel better that you did the right thing...if they get enough complaints about a seller they will act on it...
Old 06-21-2005, 04:39:33 PM
Registered-III

the biggest problem is like what was said before, the first person, and first offer is many times a low ball offer. If I died, and my family had to sell my engines, I could see someone tell my Father that my favorite engine was worth $1000, and my Dad being a nice guy would say OK. then, when someone else told him it was worth 5 times that on the open market and offered him that much, he would feel that the person offering him $1000 was a scumball thief, and it would be the right thing to do to take a better offer.

And, as far as someone saying if you ever sell, let me buy it first, I have had people do that, but after a few years, I don't remember who said what about which engine.
Old 06-21-2005, 05:02:19 PM
Nate

Bill...Fair market value...is determined by many factors..such as, condition, rarity, locality, etc., etc. an advanced collector bases his price on this criteria...where as an entry level collector is sometimes unaware of importance of these determining factors and may make an offer based on emotion or what they can afford or possibly hearsay...this doesn't make them a scumball thief (now I'm not saying that there are not scumball thieves out there) but it's unfair to lump all folks that make an offer that is not representative of the fair market value as a thief.....ignorance plays a big part in any hobby/business...sometimes a little slack is in order...
Old 06-21-2005, 06:15:10 PM
Registered-III

"All the action" is not always in the last couple seconds (AKA Auction Stealers). When a seller accepts a backdoor offer it is generally because he feels that he won't do any better than that when the auction ends normally. Therefore, he is just hedging his bet on the outcome price..right or wrong. Every seller wants the most for his item when he sells it. We've all seen items go for a bargain price just like we've seen items go for way more than we would expect.

I'm not real religious but "Judge not lest ye be judged"

Thanks Harry
Old 06-21-2005, 11:29:18 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,553 Times in 596 Posts
Angry Re: My Word is My Bond.

My Dad Always Told Me If You Tell Someone Your Going To Do Something Always Stick By Your Word Even If It Cost You Money....i Had A Guy At The Waukee Swap Meet One Year Had A Engine I Wanted But He Said Someone Else Wanted It But If He Decided Not To Take It I Could Have It.a Couple Weeks Later He Called Me And Wanted To Know If I Was Still Interested And I Said Yes.he Told Me He Came Within A Couple Miles Of Me Every Few Weeks And He Would Bring It By......he Called 4 Months Later Wanting To Know If I Still Wanted It I Told Him Yes And He Said He Would Be By In 2 Weeks , And He Would Call And Tell Me What Time He Would Be Here..well Never Heard Any More Till About A Week Before The Same Swap The Folowing Year And He Said He Would Bring It There.so I Got There And Then He Told Me He Forgot It ...so I Went On And I Seen One Just Like It In A Guys Truck And He Told Me He Got It From That Guy ...so I Went Back And Told Him Off.. Since Then When He Has Something To Sell I Just Walk On Buy...ill Never Have Any Dealings With Him Again ,i Look At It As His Loss Cause I May Have Bought More From Him Since But He Lost Any Chance Of That Ever Happining ........