Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

Macleods info needed?

this thread has 5 replies and has been viewed 1135 times

Old 06-19-2005, 01:57:25 PM
Subscriber

Default Macleods info needed?

Looking for information on who manufactured Macleods engines, It has been suggested that Nelson Bros produced the engines I was just hoping someone can confirm this. The engine mod# is no. 1 ser# is 983 1-3/4 hp, speed is 500rpm, according to the original manual received with the engine it was manufactured around 1928. Also how do you post picture along with posts, I get a message that file is to large.

Thanks Will
Sponsored Links
Old 06-19-2005, 02:20:03 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: Macleods info needed?

yes it is a nelson bros engine...retaged in canada(?!?)...posting pics...I posted this some time ago...works just fine..."--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi, Thought this may help

When you want to post a picture:

1. Get pic. on computer

2. go to "post message" and click Optional Photo Uploads "Browse"

3. when you do this a screen will come up this is when you choose the picture. To keep things simple store the photo on your desktop. A list should come up with all items on your desktop, choose the one you would like.

4. Once you find the right one, in the bottom right corner choose "open". This should fill out Optional photo upload.

5. Then click "preview message". If you like what you see Post it.

6. Should the image be too large go to your desk top and right click the image. a menu will come up click Oppen with...choose paint.

7.When in paint you will have to reduce the size of the photo, to do this hit the control button and A (CTRL+A). Then go to "images" and in that menu click "stretch and skew"

8 Under stretch there will be 2 areas to change numbers, set them at 25, I say this because 25 tends to make it small enough. Then save the changes (save as...) go back to post message and repeat steps 1-5.

Hope this helps

Mac Leod"
Old 06-19-2005, 07:00:35 PM
Subscriber

Smile Re: Macleods info needed?

Just to back Mac Leod on this one, yes, the Macleods are Nelson Bros. built engines. Btw, if you see a Judson out West there, it was built by Stover. Hope that helps some.

Andrew.....
Old 06-19-2005, 10:47:14 PM
Subscriber

Thanks Andrew and Macleod

I was pretty sure that Nelson Bros. had built the Macleods line of engines, but a couple of people suggested that the engine was built by Stover, but it didn't resemble any stover thar I have ever come across.

As for the Judson, I knew about their relationship to Stover, but funny that you mentioned that because I picked one up this weekend at an auction,
It resembles the type k 1-1/2 hp with the spoked flywheel, and with the single governor weight. I also have a T. Eaton which is same as the Stover type ke 1-1/2 but was sold by Eaton's in Canada.

Unfortunatly i am not home right now or I would post some pics thanks to Mac leods help I should be able to do that now.

thanks again
Will
Old 06-19-2005, 11:44:54 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,230 Times in 351 Posts

Will,,,,,,,,,,I believe I've got a copy of a book with Macleods engines in it?,(Nelson Brothers),Also I have a 3 Hp Macleods engine that I would sell with a Brass Webster Mag on it,,4 diget#,,,also have a few more retaged Canadian engines,,Gould Shapley & Muir (Ideal),,Eaton (Waterloo),,,Hoag 3 1/2 Hp,,But I believe it was made up there,,Its actually a Brantford engine,,Seems like theres one or 2 more out there,,,,,,I can try to get another copy,,I believe it does have several of the smaller engines in it,,,,,,,Jim
Old 06-20-2005, 08:40:36 PM
Subscriber

Jim

I would be intersted in the book you have with the Macleods pictures in it, let me know if you come up with a copy. There seems to be quite a few different engines that were tagged for the Canadian market. I know there is a sale in August up here that has a couple of the Waterloo engines retagged with the T. Eaton tag on them, and also a Gould, Shapely and Muir will be selling at the same sale, I did not know about the relationship between Ideal and the Gould Shapely and Muir Engines.

Thanks for the info
Will