Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

IHC M, what to look for

this thread has 7 replies and has been viewed 1800 times

Old 06-20-2005, 04:09:02 PM
Subscriber

Default IHC M, what to look for

I might have finally found a local engine for sale. He doesn't know much about it, all he said was it was an international, M he thought. Its not stuck, but doesn't run either. What should I watch out for? Were some of them hit and miss?
Sponsored Links
Old 06-20-2005, 04:32:46 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: IHC M, what to look for

All M's I have ever seen were throttlers and the books say that they were only offered that way and I am certian it is so (but if I had said the only ones made were throttlers someone would pop up with an experimental hit & miss ). I have owned quite a few M's and they are good runners, closed crankcase design, the troubles that I experienced mainly were fuel pump issues and the low tension ignitor fired engines can get touchy when the magnets get weak on the magneto. Other than that all of mine have been real good, solid well built engines. And they were a lot of them made so parts are pretty easy to come by both new and used stuff. Check with suppliers right here on Harry's there is a lot of parts and good info on the M's

Denny
Old 06-20-2005, 06:52:29 PM
In Memory Of

Don't know what type M you want to buy, but most importend is that everythng is there. In case of a low tens engine you need a magneto L or a R for the 6 hp. The ignitor has to be there they are pricy. In case of a high tens engine you need an Am.Bosch or a Wico magneto. Check there is a fuelpump and a complete governor setup. In case you have a two way mixer check the main fuel valve if it is not broken, for the three way mixer you need the three needle valves cost about $26 a set. Then there can be weare in the bearings, piston pin etc, check if there is any compression. An oiler on the engine saves you another $30-40. Is there a tag on the engine with the serial number? Without a tag you don't know when it was born.
Just a few things to take care off. Wish you all the best
Old 06-20-2005, 11:05:37 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,305 Times in 875 Posts

Dont forget to look for frost cracks, bent crank or cracked flywheels. BobRR
Old 06-21-2005, 10:23:28 AM
Registered-III

Watch for bent trip arm and exhaust push rod ,easy to miss on inspection.
Old 06-22-2005, 10:22:09 PM
Subscriber

I really appreciate the help. I stopped to look at a DC Case and a guy that works at the auction house came out and we were talking. I asked him if he has seen very many old engines coming through. He said he had one. So that's all I know. I'd like to go look at it, but I have a feeling he's gonna want too much. I thought I saw an ad that said "overstrike" ... what's that mean?
Old 06-22-2005, 10:51:08 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 4,663 Times in 3,020 Posts
Exclamation Re: IHC M, what to look for

Early 'M's had an under strike igniter. They were a single bearing type igniter, that were tripped from underneath thr igniter assembly, by a spring loaded trip arm assembly. These were made during early production - 1917 to very early 1919 only. The cam profile is different from the later igniter and Hi tension engines. The overstrike igniter was used from 1919 to approximately 1923. This was a 2 bearing igniter, tripped by a trip rod attached to the camshaft by an eccentric. The trip rod rested on top of the igniter, held in place with a spring. The over strike igniter, although more common, was the better unit, as the single bearing, early understrike, wore out more quickly.. The under strike, though is more rare for that reason, and therefore is the more desireable of the igniter models. I had 2 3 HP 'M's, a 1919, and a 1920, that were used in a tannery to run pumps in the factory. The Tannery had purchased the 1919 and used it for a year, and then ordered the second engine, in 1920. When it arrived, they saw it had a different ignition system, and wanted to convert it to the same system a sthe 1919. They were told by IHC that the retrofit would have cost $110.00, nearly 2/3 the cost of the new engine , this included the cost of labor for the engine teardown, due to the different parts that were needed, and due to the fact that the early ignition parts were no longer in production. Needless to say, the conversion was never done!
Andrew
Old 06-23-2005, 06:02:00 AM
Registered-II

hi i have 31 m types ranging from 1.5 to 10 hp from my studys i'v found the per 1921 engines have cast iron fuel pumps and also have a speed adjustment behind the flywheel under the governer but was dropped because too many people got hurt adjusting the speed with the engine running. I have never seen an under strike igniter in australia does anyone know if thay came out here i just looked in my 1918 parts book and it shows it.