Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

Waterloo engine

this thread has 4 replies and has been viewed 2398 times

Old 06-21-2005, 06:38:27 PM
Registered-III

Default Waterloo engine

Does anybody have a pic. of the igniter side ...None of Sponcers seem to have springs for Exhaust rod ...or ignitor trip.. I don't have a pic,... trying to figure it out to many trip to the hardware ...Thanks in Advance .. Byron
Sponsored Links
Old 06-21-2005, 08:44:20 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,541 Times in 1,140 Posts
Default Re: ::waterloo::

Red one is mine - the green one is one Larry Trammel was or is selling.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG19.JPG   trammel1 (Small).jpg  
Old 06-22-2005, 01:44:10 AM
Registered-III

Smile Re: ::waterloo::

Byron,

Here are a couple of pictures of my 1914 Waterloo Boy 1 1/2 hp taken before I put it in a cart.

This is one of the sweetest engines that I have. At the Tulare show this spring I started it, after a year of not running, on the third pull thru.

After that it started on the first pull even when cold. When warm I could pull it thru very slowly and it would start right up.

I would tell people that it was a great engine but was hard to start then I would pull it thru slowly and they would be amazed that it would fire then slowly pick up speed untill it was up to a slow governor speed.

I run this on a battery and low tension coil.
Attached Thumbnails
MVC-461S.JPG   MVC-462S.JPG  

Last edited by Dick Welty; 06-22-2005 at 02:26:31 AM.
Old 06-23-2005, 08:10:27 PM
Registered-III

Dick and Doug thanks for the pics. :: Still hard to find springs that fit ..Regular Hardware springs are not what they used on these engines I guess.. Not todays springs anyway:: Every thing seems to be just enough longer or shorter to not work..I have not heard of a Springs~R~ US~ around here.. Still Searching.. Thanks Byron
Old 06-24-2005, 01:31:28 AM
Registered-III

Byron,

If you can find one too long just cut it with side cutter pliers or grind it thru with a grinder at the approximate place you want it cut and bend an attachment loop with needle nose pliers or a small pair of ViseGrip pliers

I seldom find a spring at a hardware store that I don't have to modify to make it work.

My Fuller Johnson has a tension spring on the igniter that I made out of a stainless steel Waterbird spring.

I buy spring assortments from Harbor Freight Tools and others whenever I can find cheap assortments. I also salvage and save every spring that I can that even remotely looks like I might be able to use it.

When I cant find an appropriate one in my collection I try the springs at a good hardware store. If that fails to turn up one I then start looking at other small hardware items like sliding glass door spring assemblies and such.

About all I have ever ordered have been a few valve springs and igniter springs. Although I did just order 24 igniter springs form Starbolt for reproduction Fairbanks Morse Headless Igniters Yesterday.

By the way If any more of you are interested in a Fairbanks Headless Igniter e-mail me and I will add you to the list and give you a price before I have them cast.

daw4224@yahoo.com