Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

Rusty FM Haypress Engine AT Coolsprings

this thread has 13 replies and has been viewed 2142 times

Old 06-23-2005, 12:08:44 PM
Subscriber

Default Rusty FM Haypress Engine AT Coolsprings

I hauled my 1919 6hp FM haypress engine from SC to the Coolsprings FM expo. It is one of the rarest Z's. It has a compression release, vertical spark arrester (muffler), and huge oversized flywheels. The engine is mechanicly perfect, runs super slow, and rusty. I had a lot of good conversation, and meet engine people from all over. Most really liked it, but what surprised me was the number of people that asked me if I was going to restore it, paint it, or fix it up. One even made the comment that it looked like it belonged in a junkyard. I didn't get mad because I know that people have different tastes. Was this because of the area I was in? Do people up there like the shinny ones better? Down here in the Southeast my barn fresh or rusty engines always get more attention than my shinny ones. Just rambling, Tony
Sponsored Links
Old 06-23-2005, 12:37:22 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: Rusty FM Haypress Engine AT Coolsprings

I think part of it is a matter of personal preference. I don't expect a little rust will hurt those massive pieces of cast iron and I'd expect the moving parts to have a nice coating of oil and grease. I'd be a little more worried about any pieces of sheet metal that might eventually rust away.
Old 06-23-2005, 12:54:17 PM
Subscriber

Well Tony, Your engine sure got my attention. As much as I appreciate a nicely restored engine, even more I appreciate the unrestored originals that look barn or field fresh. It was my first time at Coolsprings and I wanted to see everything so I didnt get a chance to stop and ask questions, but it peaks my interest what makes the engine so rare. Is it just the differences between the normal Z's and this kind?
Obviously the guy that said that it looks like it belongs in a junkyard was not as keen to the idea of an unrestored original engine or was pulling your chain to see what youd say. You were smart to not stoop so low as to strike an argument over something like that. Life is just too short. You need to keep showing that engine and have fun talking because Im sure more people liked it than disapproved of it, I know I liked it!
Take care!
Frank Y
Old 06-23-2005, 01:30:40 PM
Subscriber

Tony,your engine sounds great.I appreciate well restored engines,but prefer them left original,there is some thing you lose when repainting etc.What is the difference between F.M.Haypress and the Kansas City Haypress? Thanks John.
Old 06-23-2005, 06:30:08 PM
Registered-III

Tony,
I liked your engine, I have 3 HP Fairbanks Engine with the AB-33 Mag and is rusty aswell it runs great and I haven't decided if I will paint it, Probably not I haven't painted one yet I like all my engines to be Barn Fresh with original paint, Is it possible you can post a picture of you engine I thought I took a picture of it, but I guess not
I thought it was neat
~Jonathan
Old 06-23-2005, 07:17:50 PM
Alan in KY

i would much rather see a rusty engine at a show as to see one that has been covered with fiberglass or what ever kind of stuff they use to smooth out engines like they were polished then painted we all know that they didnt come that way and a little grease looks good on one to they do need it to run and very few were kept spotless by the original owners
Old 06-23-2005, 07:35:19 PM
Registered-III

Tony I hav'nt seen a pic of your FM haypress..But was just going to say I think User Fresh engines are great ..Even with the Rigged Parts ..Whatever it took to keep them going on the Farm.. We can always paint later..and then I would not fill and make better then Factory...Byron
Old 06-23-2005, 09:45:55 PM
Sponsor

Tony, they're only original once. Nice paint looks great, but there's a certain look and smell that goes with 80 year old grease. Once you scrape it off your engine, it's gone forever. As a kid, I remember these engines being worked, and when I encounter an engine in its work clothes, it brings back fond memories. Now if only more exhibitors would belt'em up to vintage machinery and put'em to work......
Old 06-23-2005, 09:55:06 PM
Subscriber

I'd like to see a photo of your engine! I have painted a few of my little engines but I really prefer not to. I like to work them over with a rag and a dry paint brush. That eventually will clean them without destroying the original finish as it were. It's kind of what the engine should have been getting all the years it was being neglected. They weren't painting the engine out in the working fields either.

Regarding the questions, at least people were paying attention to your stuff. They also were letting you know perhaps a little more about themselves than they were aware of and I don't say that as a criticism (?) of them either. Everyone at there own pace.........

There is a certain, admireable grace that surrounds individuals who can allow all of us our follies and still treat us kindly. It sounds like you were an asset to the show.
Old 06-23-2005, 10:48:23 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,305 Times in 875 Posts

I totally agree work cloths are much better then sunday only! Tony can you post a pict.? I have 1916 6hp. Z would like to see what the differances are.BobRR
Old 06-24-2005, 07:34:16 PM
Registered-III

Thumbs up Re: Rusty FM Haypress Engine AT Coolsprings

I've found the hay press parts in a Fairbanks Morse parts book today.It shows the dust covers, spark arrestor muffler, and a water hopper cover. I will scan the pages later tonight..I will have to email them to one of you guys because I've used up all of my space here for posting pics. Who will volenter to post the pics?? Doug
Old 06-24-2005, 09:09:41 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,305 Times in 875 Posts

Doug I'll give it a shot.BobRR
Old 06-25-2005, 05:15:55 AM
Registered-III

Question Re: Rusty FM Haypress Engine AT Coolsprings

Tony, will you have it at Denton? Where are you located?
Old 06-25-2005, 08:09:49 AM
Subscriber

I'll try to get a picture of the Haypress engine today, but I'll have to email it to someone to get it posted. I would like to get a picture of the hopper cover because it is the only thing that's missing. There is a factory picture in the Fairbanks Morse red book on page 81. I was told by an older friend whose father had worked at FM that these engines were only made for a short time(1919-20) because they didn't sell. He said the unsold engines were later put on carts or converted to regular Z's. Whether this is true or not, it sure makes a good story. Mine is on a cart and the wheels are the same as the wheels on a 10hp factory cart, but the cart is welded together. Tony