Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

Need info on Pontiac Tractor Company

this thread has 4 replies and has been viewed 2391 times

Old 06-23-2005, 09:49:41 PM
Registered-I

Default Need info on Pontiac Tractor Company

I need help in finding out info on and engine that has a name plate "Pontiac Tractor Company." The current owner wants to sell it but doesn't have any idea what's it's worth. Looks to be about 1 1/2 - 2 hp in size. It is in good condition and runs very well. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Lon
Sponsored Links
Old 06-23-2005, 10:53:55 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,541 Times in 1,140 Posts
Default Re: Need info on Pontiac Tractor Company

Lon,
Look back a page for EricM's 'Lee Engine' post of 6/19 & my reply with several photos. Also Eric's post of 6/22 'NewToy Early!? 1 3/4 Jumbo' showing photos of his new acquisition. Does your engine have a chain driven overhead cam or pushrod activated? They are pretty uncommon & information is very scarce. Most were mounted on orchard or crop spray rigs. can you post photos?
Old 06-24-2005, 07:57:23 AM
Registered-I

Doug, thanks for the comeback and photos. Your photos are a great help. Any ideas as to value or fair price to pay for this little baby. It is a gear drive for the exhaust valve and is in real good condition. The fuel tank is missing and the water fill cover is missing. It has the wooden ignition box. I've included some pics of it.
Attached Thumbnails
miscellanious 006.jpg   miscellanious 007.jpg   miscellanious 008.jpg   miscellanious 010.jpg  
Old 06-24-2005, 08:50:43 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,541 Times in 1,140 Posts

Lon,
I'm replying here because you do not accept emails. The engine has correct carb & breather ... both often missing. The tag is a plus. It seems to be missing hopper cover & correct muffler(muffler should look like a Brownwall... shorter & larger in dia.) & gas tank. I dislike Pontiac's method of mounting tank with sheet metal band around hopper but there are options. It looks like the earlier model with babbitt rather than roller main bearings. Looks to be in running condition. I'd try to get it for no more $600 or $700. I've seen some go as high as $1200 and as little as $300. They are pretty unique & very little information available on them. If you find a hit & miss Pontiac with the chain driven, overhead cam that you don't want for yourself please let me know. I'm trying to get a set of the three versions. Good Luck! & let me know how you make out.
Old 06-24-2005, 04:27:17 PM
Registered-I

Doug, if you happen to read this, thanks for your help. It's extremely valuable in dealing for this engine. You mentioned a tag and yes I did get a pic of it, so It'll be here for you to see. Since we can only upload 4 pics I selected the ones of the engine over the tag, but here it is. It's hard to read but in proper light, it says
Mod. 9 Serial 2191. PONTIAC TRACTOR COMPANY, Pontiac, Michigan
Attached Thumbnails
miscellanious 009.jpg