Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

F-M-Z style D

this thread has 9 replies and has been viewed 1427 times

Old 06-26-2005, 12:42:42 PM
Registered

Question F-M-Z style D

I have a F-M-Z style D that I bought at an auction a couple of weeks ago. I have replaced the coil, and put a new spark plug in it. I am getting good spark, and good compression but can't get it to fire. I have two questions. My first is Where should my timing be set? And my second is how should I have my fuel knob adjusted on start up? I also got the original crank with it, and a fellow at the auction told me to throw the crank away and to cut a notch into the flat belt pully an start it with a ripcord. Would you recomend this?

Thanks
Joe
Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-2005, 01:39:08 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: F-M-Z style D

Harry's original site has the timing info for the style D.
Old 06-26-2005, 01:53:53 PM
RIRR

When you start the engine turn the needle out 1 turn is what the manual says. as for the timing marks if you did not find them on the site. I can send then to you. As for the crank I would not cut it(perserve history). If everything is right it will start easily. I used my crank also. Clean all the rust off the end of crank and the hole it goes in.Pput grease on the hole and crank and you will never have a problem. Hope this helps
Old 06-26-2005, 05:14:07 PM
Registered-III

Joe -

Also make sure that there is a gasket between the baffle on the mixer and the mixer body itself. If the gasket is missing, the engine will not generate enough vaccum to draw the first gulp of fuel, even if you hold your hand over the baffle.

Chris
Old 06-26-2005, 10:24:02 PM
Subscriber

Put the crank on the shelf and use a rope without cutting a notch in the pulley. Tie a knot on one end of the rope and hold it on the pulley and wrap the rest of it over the the first part 5 or 6 times. It works great and starts mine very fast.
Old 06-26-2005, 10:28:23 PM
Registered 0

I also only use the rope to start my ZD.I can not start it with a crank but a rope work first time everytime.Dale
Old 06-26-2005, 11:07:13 PM
Card Sponsor

The reason that the style D engines start hard is that on the FM-J mags, the mag has to spin fast to make current.If the mag had an impulse coupling,it would start a lot easier.the ones with the FM-R mags start a little easier.The rope method for starting as mentioned earlier works great on these engines.I have never seen one of these engines start good with a crank.
Old 06-27-2005, 02:00:54 PM
Registered-III

I did not see anyone mention the fuel check valve. I have a Z-D that simply would not start without the check valve, even though everything else was fine.
Old 06-27-2005, 02:50:53 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,206 Times in 1,144 Posts

Open the fuel one turn, Hold the palm of your hand over the intake and roll the flywheel thru a complete cycle to pull some fuel up thru the check valve and into the mixer...Then just flip the flywheel over compression and it should start...Or try the rope start trick, works for me!!!

David M.
Old 07-07-2005, 09:49:22 AM
Registered-II

This is a good string with good advice. I always thought it was just me that had a hard time starting these rats. Mine runs a cement mixer and the setup requires that it starts under load. In this case forget the crank; I used a large slow moving drill motor with a crank stub chucked up. This worked pretty good. When there was no electric power for the drill, we (it took more than one person) used to start the "D" with a long flatbelt and the work end pulley of an LA International. This method was a crowd pleaser.

I am working on a "D" that has a type RV mag on it. It appears to be a lot hotter than the J that is on the above mentioned setup. Also the cover for the fuel mixer on the above has always been missing. I will experiment with the correct cover and gasketing.

Thanks for the advice.