Steam Engines
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines, Steam Boats
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines, Steam Boats Antique steam engines, their boilers, pumps, gauges, whistles and other related things that make them run.

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines, Steam Boats

James Watt walking beam engine

this thread has 3 replies and has been viewed 3081 times

Old 06-26-2005, 08:35 PM
Registered-III

Liked 1,006 Times in 198 Posts
Thumbs up James Watt walking beam engine

I thought it was time to tell the steam enthusiats about our club's latest acquisition. We had the great privilage to get a James Watt walking beam steam engine. The closest we have been able to determine the age is 1799. I have to say that the engineering and craftsmanship in this engine is outstanding. I will get some pics as soon as I can. To give you some ideas about the size the flywheel is 16 foot in diameter. From the info we aquired with the engine it turns out to be a 60 hp engine. I hate to tease you with just snipits for now but as I am able to put together more background information I will post it. By the way It took nine of our club members 2 1/2 days to tear it all apart. Now comes the fun of digging the foundation and extending a building to erect it. Not to mention trying to get the funds to pay for the ideas we have for it. Like a cobblestone (brick) walkpath on each side of the engine. We think that it would give it a better look. Oh, before I get ahead of myself, I don't want to forget the boring bar invented by John Wilkenson to bore the cyls for the Watt engines. We hope to have both items up and displayed by next years show. Just love that OLD iron.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-2005, 08:57 PM
Subscriber

Liked 1,044 Times in 475 Posts
Default Re: James Watt walking beam engine

Can you share some history on this engine and the boring machine. Were either or both these two items imported for use in USA (1799), or was the engine operational elsewhere and recently imported?
Old 06-27-2005, 10:55 PM
Registered-III

Liked 1,006 Times in 198 Posts

Here is the history on the engine that I know so far.

The engine was built in 1799 by James Watt. Placed in a mill in England and ran for @ 140 years. Now that is what I call endurance. The fellow that brought it to the states was manufacturing machining equipment and had quite a few munitions contracts during WWII. So in partial payment he went over to Europe and started to collect on his bill. The collections that he ammassed was unreal, at least in my eyes. The engine and boring bar were a couple of items he aquired. They were brought back and placed in a show room in his manufacturing plant. He liked to show the evolution in the machining world from the infancy to the current day. The way I understand it on the boring bar they took the steam cyl apart from the James Watt engine and had a new one cast from it for their display. That was one big pour of cast. I would have loved to be a mouse in the corner to see that done. From the info I have seen is that James Wilkenson invented a boring bar to better machine the cyl bore so that it was more true. I should have some pics for you guys soon.
Old 06-28-2005, 03:57 AM
Registered-III

Liked 2,743 Times in 645 Posts

They are a very interesting engines. There is one operational here in Sydney.
Boulton and Watt steam engine
It sounds like you have great plans for your engine.