Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

ways to unstick a stuck engine...

I need ideas on how to unstick a stuck engine (pistons and valves)...any and all ideas welcome......

this thread has 14 replies and has been viewed 15187 times

Old 06-28-2005, 06:23 PM
Registered-III

Default ways to unstick a stuck engine...

I need ideas on how to unstick a stuck engine (pistons and valves)...any and all ideas welcome...

Thanks

Mac Leod
Sponsored Links
Old 06-28-2005, 06:30 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: ways to unstick a stuck engine...

Mac::More than one cylinder ?? Byron
Old 06-28-2005, 06:33 PM
Registered-III

one other thing...top picture is the "just pulled the cylinder head off" one...the bottom picture is the "not quite so bad, eh?" photo...lot of time with a wire brush, solvent, vinigar...looks savible though (with new pistons and liners...and...and...and)

Mac Leod
Attached Thumbnails
smokestakpicture.JPG  
Old 06-28-2005, 07:15 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,344 Times in 859 Posts

Personally, I have always used our floor press for pistons, BUT you have to be DAMN carefull. IF you use a press, make sure to place as large of a diameter of thick steel plate over the piston as possible, this will help distribute the pressure evenly over the piston instead of on one spot, which will cause the piston to crack. There is also the wood block and hammer technique, I dont do it, just because I always use the press. Guy's also heat up the block to expand the cylinder and beat out the piston with a block and hammer. NOW, it is your personal choice to use a press, some guy's think I am crazy, and others could'nt agree more. There are certainly risks involved with almost any way that you do it. I just have always used a press, and have never had a problem with it.
Old 06-28-2005, 07:30 PM
Subscriber

Mac is dynomite out of the question?
Old 06-28-2005, 07:51 PM
Registered-III

Mac:: Has Been BIT BY THE BUG::What do you think..Trying to fix that..Must have room in the garage..None Here..Byron
Old 06-28-2005, 08:19 PM
Registered-III

the press will not work, I believe it would IF I could remove the cylinder block from the crank case...I can not though, the oil sump blocks the #4 piston rod from being unbolted...I would remove the sump BUT...the #1 pistons crank throw blocks the bolts that holds it in...been hammering, no luck...AS to dynomite, not yet perhaps soon though...and yes, I have been bit by the bug, when I first saw my jaeger in the cement mixer...I am not too worried about the pistons, they are shot. will have to find replacements. once it runs, I need a lawn tractor to stuff the engine in to

Thanks

Mac Leod
Old 06-28-2005, 09:59 PM
Email Not Working

I have had good luck using simple green hand cleaner full strength. Only had one engine it didnt work on. It was a le roi 1 cyl oil field engine with a 7 1/4 bore. We turned a oak plug the size of the bore and about 10 inches long flat on both ends and dished up about 1/8 in the center on the piston end. We started out with a 1 steel plate on top of the plug and a 10 ton jack to press down. After 3 days it hadnt moved so we shortened the plug to about 4 inches long, redid the press and moved up to 20 tons . After about 1/2 hour it moved very slowly and came out. The piston was not hurt and there was minimal rust anywhere in the bore. The welding shop that did it said they had never had anything stuck that hard before. ed the le roi man
Old 06-28-2005, 10:22 PM
Registered-III

I have used simple green on everything...works great for rusted and stuck parts...'cept this engine

Mac Leod...perhaps I will fill the cylinders with great stuff 3x expanding foam, then bolt the head on and wait for the engine to pop loose...Or not.
Old 06-29-2005, 08:39 PM
Subscriber

If the pistons are aluminum, be careful. Aluminum piston can swell when they "rust." If you push or drive them out, there is the possibility you will damage the block. The pistons may need to be broken out to remove. I know of a couple people that have cracked the blocks on M Farmalls when pushing a corroded piston out.
Old 06-30-2005, 09:01 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,944 Times in 976 Posts

I use Hydraulic jack oil, But FIRST, you gotta do a super dooper valve job and put the head back on the block....Then I fill each cylinder up with hydraulic fluid and make an adapter to screw the pump and hose from a port-a-power into the spark plug hole and start pumping!..On multi-cylinder engines, I put a catch pan under the cylinder so that when the piston comes out, I can catch the fluid and fill the next cylinder so it won't take so much jack oil. It can get expensive!...BUT! It's a lot less expensive than breaking a piston..This system NEVER fails...Hydraulic pressure is easy on the piston and cylinder and you don't have to make plates for the top of the piston or worry about setting the engine up in a floor press..The only catch is the crankshaft must be out, or the rods need to be loose where they can clear the crank.

David M.
Old 06-30-2005, 09:17 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 2,362 Times in 568 Posts
Photo Re: ways to unstick a stuck engine...

A lot of heat, a lot of penetrating oil and a press got this one out and the rings are useable
Old 06-30-2005, 10:15 AM
Registered-III

yesterday, I found that the oil pickup was screwed in to the mounting bracket...I was able to unscrew it and remove the conrod nuts...this will allow me to now pull off the cylinder block and make the pistons come out with out fear of damaging the crank...

Mac Leod
Old 06-30-2005, 11:18 AM
Subscriber

A very experienced rebuilder of old steam & gas engines who I know recommends using a steam cleaner in the spark plug hole (stand well back!) for half an hour or so. The heat and pressure will help remove abrasive dirt etc. and the expansion and contraction of heating and cooling always helps to free things off as we know. Seems to me that if you can heat the block and just before you want to push, cool the piston by say turning the block upside down and filling the piston with cold water, that should help too. You're right about vinegar, and it will work even better after the steam cleaner blows out the oil and grease. Of course lubrication should make the piston slide out more easily so that is a bit of a catch-22. Not sure how well acetic acid (vinegar) agrees with aluminum either.
Old 06-30-2005, 07:01 PM
Subscriber

with the cylinder upright pour 2 in.of brake fluid or auto transmission fluid place a cotton wick in it light it let it burn for 8 -10 hrs. you can add fuel as it burns , it works