Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

Hauling across the US

this thread has 4 replies and has been viewed 1795 times

Old 07-02-2005, 04:18:20 PM
Registered-II

Default Hauling across the US

I have had several engines hauled in the past, up to 2500 miles by other collectors that were helping out as well as reducing their fuel costs. However now with the fuel prices being what they are I am having trouble locating Haulers for a price I feel I can afford.With Harry's classifieds and e-bay a whole world of engines, tractors, implements, etc. (all heavy) is available to us if we can only get them to our location. What is considered a fair price these days for hauling, and I am not talking about those who are doing it for a living, just those interested in helping in this hobby while reducing fuel costs.Mike
Sponsored Links
Old 07-02-2005, 07:00:09 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: Hauling across the US

Mike -

Try www.uship.com. Kind of like Ebay for shipping...you post what you want, and interested parties will tell you how much they'll do it for.

chris
Old 07-04-2005, 01:48:03 PM
Registered-II

Thanks Chris for the Hauling tip. I had never heard of this connection for finding haulers. The rest of you out there are suprisingly silent on this topic so I will share my last two experiences. I was able to get a 12hp engine on a homebuilt cart from Texas to Calif for $250 from a friend of a friend who was traveling my way with an open horse trailer a couple of years ago. My most risky purchase was a 10hp Stickney I purchased from a party near Winnipeg Canada. Another collector in the Great Lakes region was able to get it across the boarder and deliver to Portland Oregon area where he was traveling to pick up an engine for himself. He met my brother who got it back to Grants Pass OR. I then picked it up from my brother on my trip to the Brooks Or swapmet(a great swap meet by the way) and got it the last 600 miles to my home in Cambria, CA. I can also tell you that there is a bit of stress on a purchase like this getting it home. Will it get into the US ok, stay tied to the trailer,how about you have never met the hauler and you have paid for the engine and the hauling. Mike
Old 07-05-2005, 10:34:34 AM
Subscriber

Mike,
I would have thought your wife would have enjoyed a nice vacation trip to Winnepeg. Don't tell her you are picking up an engine until after you get there, that's my experience. Nice find.
Mike T.
Old 07-07-2005, 01:10:44 AM
Registered-II

Mike T it gets better than that. The 10hp Stickney is in my shop as of about 5 years ago. My youngest daughter made the trip to Grants Pass OR with me and we let mom know what we brought home after it was safely tucked in the cornor of the shop and covered in canvas. Hard to hide, or for a 12 year old to keep a secret.