Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

Power Hoist for lifting hay

this thread has 4 replies and has been viewed 2198 times

Old 07-03-2005, 03:18:43 PM
Registered-II

Default Power Hoist for lifting hay

Does anyone know anything about a power hoist for lifting hay? I have been offered one to buy. It is a Louden in fine condition. I looked them up in one of my Louden catalogs and it shows a picture of one mounted on a cart. The description says “the hoist may be used with any kind of power- steam gasoline or electric. Under ordinary conditions three or four h.p. is sufficient though five or six h.p. is better”.
Any idea what this might be worth? It looks like it could be a nice addition to one of my Galloway’s on a longer truck.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-03-2005, 05:18:56 PM
Sponsor

Default Re: Power Hoist for lifting hay

I've seen plenty of apparatus for unloading a hay wagon and placing the hay in a haymow. but most of these are horse-drawn. I'd sure like to see pics of an engine-powered unit.
Old 07-04-2005, 09:54:53 AM
Registered-II

I'll see if I can get it scaned. The Louden catalogs are very descrpitive with their pictures.
Old 07-04-2005, 08:25:13 PM
Registered-III

Smile Re: Power Hoist for lifting hay

I have an Ireland hoist, single drum, was operated with an electric motor originally, but I plan on just demonstrating it with a 1 1/2 or so. I did run it with my Associated 1 3/4 and it worked okay. I don't know if I put the rope to it and pull up a hay fork with it, if it will still do the job. I only raise it about 5 ft. to show it's use. I was told that 3 were sold at the Hudson club auction and all three went for very little money.
These old hay hoists were used for many jobs, hauling ice out of the pond, hauling logs into the mill, and my father in law used one to pull beams up when rebuilding an old post & beam barn. There is alway a good story to go along with the winch. Mine was used by a farmer so he could have only one other person up in the mow while he set the fork and operated the winch with a long rope from the wagon. Saved him the cost of another team or tractor to haul the hay to the mow. Dick in the hot, hot Finger Lake Region of NY.
Old 07-04-2005, 11:02:56 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,122 Times in 591 Posts

Here's a scan from my Louden catalog #7 showing a triple drum power hoist, less engine. There's also a single drum hoist but I can't seem to get my scan small enough to upload.

Bill
Attached Thumbnails
Louden Power Hoist - II.jpg