Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

crankshaft damage

this thread has 6 replies and has been viewed 2144 times

Old 07-05-2005, 01:29:36 PM
Registered-III

Default crankshaft damage

Ohh boy, this ones my fault... when I was pulling the cylinder of the waukesha crankcase...one of the rods got stuck...so the cylinder would not come off (the bearing on the conrod slid out and got stuck...) well, one of the conrods scraped the crankshaft...leaving a light scar in the crank...there is a bur of metal. so, what do I do???...(PLEASE DO NOT SUGGEST I SCRAP THE PROJECT...THIS IS ONLY A MINOR SETBACK)

Thank

Mac Leod
Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-2005, 02:35:51 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: crankshaft damage

Looks like you have two options here. Number one, Have you thought about a file and a little emery cloth and useing them ?. Or Number two, take the crank to an automotive machine shop and have it turned. Joe Morris
Old 07-05-2005, 05:05:05 PM
Hoarder

Thanked 2,589 Times in 845 Posts

I'm with Joe on this one. If it's a light scar use some emery cloth with a bit of oil and it will polish out. Depending on how heavy the burr is you may need a file or stone to knock down the heavy stuff before using the emery cloth. Take your time and don't get too aggressive or you'll end up needing to get the crank turned. As long as there is no "positive" metal (burr sticking up), I wouldn't worry about getting it polished perfectly smooth. A little scratch might carry some additional oil.
Old 07-05-2005, 06:49:07 PM
Email NOT Working

Thanked 1,705 Times in 1,016 Posts

Mac, by "the book" you must turn it until the damage is gone, which will probably be far too much material removed. That in turn will require you to weld up the journal and turn it back down to stock specs.
However... The two guys above are absolutely correct. Take the burr off with a sharp file and then polish it up a bit with emery cloth. Take the book and throw it away on this one. Kevin
Old 07-05-2005, 06:56:30 PM
Sky

I agree aswell, just take your time, file the bur down, a fine file might be a good idea, then polish it up with emery cloth, i bugered up the rod on my FH one time while putting it back togeather, done the same thing, file and emery cloth, then everything was just fine! IF ANYTHING, that scar will carry a little bit more oil or grease, wich is a good thing in a way, becouse a bearing can never have enough oil or grease.
Old 07-06-2005, 09:01:53 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 6,177 Times in 2,455 Posts

I've cleaned up "boogers" on crankshafts by using a flat file close to the width of the journal (or as wide as you can get) wrapped with 400 grit emery.

Work the spot in the direction of rotation of the shaft and inspect the bad spot and quit just when the booger is flush with the rest of the shaft.

Take care - Elden
http://home.cybertron.com/~edurand
Old 07-07-2005, 11:20:59 PM
Registered-III

ahhh, boy, I am glad to know it is an "easy" fix....have not had time yet to do it..soon...thanks

Mac Leod