Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

Denton, NC ??

this thread has 22 replies and has been viewed 3183 times

Old 07-05-2005, 07:23:37 PM
Fermanides

Default Denton, NC ??

To the Stakers who attended Denton, NC over the July 4th - Share your Denton experience with those of us who could not go. Thanks in advance - Johnny Fermanides
Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-2005, 08:24:22 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: Denton, NC ??

It was great. We got there on Thursday and camped in the Allis Chalmers camp ground. It was extremely hot Thursday and Friday but after a big storm and a cool front we had a nice weekend. There was more stuff there than I could see in a weekend. I picked up a 1.5 HP International LA. This was my second year and after the stories I've heard about bad shows I was very impressed with the staff and exhibits. Good times!
Old 07-05-2005, 10:13:44 PM
Subscriber

we was also in chalmer camp fri pm-mon. was the gay with briggs and coke bottle. Very impressed with the vast # of spectators.
looked like the ohio state fair midway. very good show.
Old 07-06-2005, 06:15:56 AM
Registered-III

Sadly, I could only go for the day on Friday. As always, there were TONS of tractors and several old engines that I had remembered seeing the last time I was there about 2 years ago. The only things that I was dissappointed with was the rain as I was loading up (I DESPISE my tractor getting rained on), and the fact that they would not open the gates to let exhibitors unload until 8:00 sharp. That didn't make any sense to me. And, it wasn't quite as hot on Friday as it has been in past years. I only wish I could have spent more time there. For those that went, I had the gray Ford with the saw on the back that was parked at the top of the pullers hill near the auction area with the Alamo Blue Line engine.

I did come back with a small David Bradley feed grinder and once I get my Taylor back in action, I'll have to belt it up to the mill. Now I just need a cabinet style corn sheller to go with it (I didn't have enough spare cash to get both at the show...:-( )
Old 07-06-2005, 09:08:19 AM
Subscriber

What can I say it was hot but I would not miss Denton. They have a great show and marketplace. The deals are harder to find but their still there if you look and ask. But the one great thing is to see my friends again and talk about what we have in common and to meet new friends. But they need to open up more gates or double lane gates to cut down on wait time for exhibitors . And every year the crowd gets bigger and the exhibits grow greater.
Old 07-06-2005, 10:47:20 AM
Registered-III

I agree. When I went last time, I don't remember the tractor exhibits stretching all the way back to the horse barn area and back like they were this year. Lots more tractors than I remembered. I wish i could have caught the threshing demonstrations and the 100 hp Corliss steamer running.
Old 07-06-2005, 11:52:26 AM
Registered-III

Nice show as always but I went a few days before the opening day since my Mom lives about five miles from the show and I was at her house on Wed and they charged me five dollars to get in just to talk with my buddies that had set up there camper.I went back on Friday with some engines and a friend of mine and registered and they said when I come back with my wife on Sat.I would have to pay for her to get in ($12.00)I think this is my last year because of the wait to check in and the point that they are scared they might loose a dollar.
Old 07-06-2005, 12:01:25 PM
Registered-II

I had a great time, but was shaking my head about the sign in process. it took me an hour to get from the street to the gate Wed afternoon. I also had a hard time finding out where I could set up since I wasn't camping. All in all a good time. I managed to bring home a Unitractor to add to the collection. The trick was figuring out how to load everything I brought along with the new toy.
Old 07-06-2005, 12:34:09 PM
Registered-III

Are you referring to that big huge MM thing parked up at the top of the hill of the pulling arena? I've been wondering what the heck that thing was. I was set up about 6 tractors down from it. I really wish I could have spent more time there.

Jeb
Old 07-06-2005, 07:00:17 PM
Subscriber

I brought a friend from Ohio who had never been. He almost left when he saw that price ($12), but left saying he really enjoyed it. Because of him, I spent more time than usual looking at the static displays (espcially the BIG steam engine and the old machine shop stuff).

I did notice that there were fewer big gas engines than usual (I went Sat. & Mon.). Garden tractors & air-cooled motors continue to increase. I found a coupel good deals on parts, but bought no motors (no $$$). As Denton is teh only "Big" show I have ever been to, I can't say how it compares, but I had a blast again this year.

Plus, where else will you spend $12 on lemonaide in one day?
Old 07-06-2005, 10:01:21 PM
Registered-II

There are a lot of people who have quit going to Denton. They're getting way way too greedy!! The $12 admission plus parking which I think is $5 or maybe even $10 is ridiculous!! They're going to price themselves right out of business.
Old 07-07-2005, 07:34:08 PM
Registered

I attended the show with my Brother and a friend of ours from MI who had never seen anything like this. I didn't have a problem footing the bill because I remember what fun I had the last time I went to the show about 4 yrs ago (I was the guy who got his face on the front page of the Asheboro newspaper, taken through the steering wheel of an Allis I think). We did not have to pay for parking, and brought a cooler.
For all of those who were camping: this was my favorite part of the show, there were so many engines running and mechanical devices of all kinds - great job on your displays!!
So in a nutshell I would say that I feel the show is well worth the $12 admission.
BTW - the Bates Corliss is 350hp isnt it?
take care,
Brad Morgan
Old 07-08-2005, 07:03:42 AM
DanR

This was my first time at Denton. I thought at first the $12 was pretty pricey. There was no charge for parking. We spent all day Sunday seeing as much as possible. Looking at the big picture, I think it is amazing how those folks have preserved our history. All the buildings, equipment, displays, and demonstrations done first class. And how about that train? It must cost a bundle to keep it running. The only down side was it was hot and the $3 hot dog wasn't fit to eat. We got our monies worth at Denton and will be back next year and bring our own lunch. DanR
Old 07-08-2005, 09:09:45 PM
oldsteel1

hey johnny! went in wednesday,sat in line like i knew i would,left the following tuesday,and loved every minute of it!i knew what the price for camping would be and the food is cheaper than a panther or bobcat game and it cost a lot less to get in and see history,nice engines,and some good friends!
Old 07-09-2005, 01:08:25 AM

Thanked 17,695 Times in 5,298 Posts

About that $12 gate fee---is that a DAILY fee or is it a "season ticket"?
Old 07-09-2005, 07:21:58 AM
Registered-III

It is a daily fee
Old 07-09-2005, 09:34:39 AM
Registered-II

It wouldn't be so bad at all if you paid the $12 and got a wrist band like we did with our engine display and could use it to get in and out the rest of the week. They charge the same $12 each day They should also consider moving this show to the Fall of the year. I don't mind the heat at my age but folks like my 81 year old Grandfather say they just can't take it anymore. It's a shame because I've talked to a lot of old timers that would really love to come but won't because of the heat.

Mike
Old 07-09-2005, 11:04:39 AM
Registered-III

Johnny, we had a great time at Denton. Renewed old friendships and made some new ones. Drug my feet on an engine, went back first thing next morning, of course it was gone. But I did find correct pulley for our Jacobson.

As for the daily $12 spectator fee, there are more working exibits, historical exibits and pavilion/theater type shows than the average person can do in one day. And that does not include about 100 acres of engine exibits in the camping area.

The only charge I had as an exibitor was the campsite fee ($45 for seven days). This provided admission for 2 adults for the entire show. Air condition in the MH was worth that. On the way to Coolspring in June we stopped over at a campground in Winchester Va $33---compare!

Denton offers good value for price. It gets better every year and we plan to be there
Old 07-10-2005, 08:18:09 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,977 Times in 427 Posts

I did not attend this show but have gone to many airplane and engine shows. I have worked at many rc airplane shows in the food tent, parking etc. Most generally the people that complane about the entry or food prices have never helped put on a show, so they have no idea the amount of work it takes. Also the extra money made helps the organization to continue to provide a place for showing your items. Many folks have invested hundreds or thousands of dollars in their equipment as well as the cost of trailers, campers, suv's and then complain about a $12.00 entry fee for a show. My advice to those is STAY HOME YOU WON'T BE MISSED or help put on the show then you will appreciate the effort and will understand why it takes money to make it work.
Old 07-10-2005, 08:51:59 AM
Registered-II

I believe Portland only charges $4 a head and they're still making money. I remember when Denton used to be that cheap as well. I go almost every year and I always either take an engine or go with someone who does, so it costs me nothing. It's not just me, I listen to people all over who used to go when it was a little cheaper. One person isn't so bad and the $12 would be a great value if it covered you for every day you attended. When you take a family of 4 or 6 is when it hurts your pocket book. Plus you pay extra to ride the train and extra for the corn maze.