Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

What engine is this?

this thread has 8 replies and has been viewed 2256 times

Old 07-07-2005, 03:37:18 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,052 Times in 733 Posts
Default What engine is this?

This one is going to be my next project engine assuming the person I am getting it from hasnt sold it yet. We were thinkin it to be a fairbanksmorse ZL or one of the Z series engines. I would like to know as close as possible as to what exactly this one is weather it be fbm or ihc or some other odd engine company. Thanks

I all ready have the pics on a different thread but here is the thread link.
You'll have to scroll down towards the bottom of the page.

http://www.smokstak.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21492
Sponsored Links
Old 07-09-2005, 11:51:28 AM
Registered-III

Default Re: What is this

Ok heres the pics, I couldnt post them earlier because my computer was being a stubbern J@!k A$$
Attached Thumbnails
ShowLetter22_edited.jpg   ShowLetter_edited1.jpg  
Old 07-16-2005, 12:12:44 AM
Registered-III

Default Re: What is this

Anybody? someone? I know someone owns somethin that looks like this thing. I'll be getting it soon and would like to know what is misssing off of it other than the head and fuelsystem parts?
Old 07-16-2005, 06:55:48 AM
Registered-I

Default Re: What engine is this?

That is a fairly new engine that is still used today in oil & gas fields. IT looks to be what is called a 208 ZC Fairbanks Morse. The head for this engine looks different than older 6hp FMZ but it will interchange. Ed Deis @ Hit & Miss could help in getting parts. I have 2 6hp FMZ's & a 15 hp & they are both running on propane through a modern IMPCO carburator that oil & gas companies use today. All three start on the second pull & run all day. When I say fairly new this engine can be no older than the 1940's. I am pretty sure of that. Still a nice engine when restored. These were made to run 24/7 with minimal maintenance.
Old 07-16-2005, 08:47:29 PM
Registered-I

Looks like a zc118 or a zc 208 to me.I have both of these engines and also have a extra 208 head if needed.
Old 07-17-2005, 10:54:51 PM
Registered-III

Talking Re: What engine is this?

That is a Fairbanks ZC 118. the 118 stands for the cubic inches. The later model ZC have a hand hole on the back of the crank case, so you can change the rod bearing without taking the top off the crank case and then getting it our of time ect. THe engines were MFG'D by many different companys after FM built them, Untill very recently. such as Bell, Colt, and even Arrow. Arrow only built 12 of the ZC 208's and this was in the early 1990's! But Bell MFG built ALOT of the engines. 99% of your 118 is still avaible. As mentioned before call ED at Hit & Miss, he has or can get you the parts needed. If he doesnt have a head, and one of the other stakers doesnt have one drop me an email. I may know where one is . I've attached a link to our FM zc parts book. That way you can find what part #'s to order from Hit & Miss. Have fun with your ZC, they are one tough built engine. If your on dial up internet it takes a WHILE to upload. but give it time its worth it. http://arrowengine.com/media/arrowreplacementparts.pdf
Old 07-18-2005, 02:22:12 PM
Registered-III

Thanks for the help guys. I knew someone out there had to have something that looks like this. Was the clutch and "V" belt attachment standard or was it flat belt? I'll be going down to get this thing in a few weeks hopefully or I'll have a couple of friends go get it for me. Roughly how much do these machines way? 8-900 lbs or more? I found this picture after lookin through hitnmiss site which I find interesting. I'm sure that this engine is frozen/stuck like many of the other engines we find as collectors. I'll have to look closer when I get it to see what all is missing. I hope my friends truck can handle the weight of this monstrosity. Thanks for the link to the arrow site it did slow my computer down a little while the pdf loaded stupid dial up.Thanks for the help.
Attached Thumbnails
fmzc118.jpg  
Old 07-18-2005, 05:59:09 PM
Registered-III

The V-belt pulley \ clutch is whats call a "J" type clutch. what the "J" stands for I dont know. But yes that was orig equipment on most ZC's. The 118's weigh 780. With 320 of those pounds being the flywheels. On page 64 on that Arrow link in my previous post, there is a spec sheet for ZC's from the 118 up to the Big Ol 739! Enjoy!
Old 07-19-2005, 12:28:12 AM
Registered-III

Thanks for that link it helped me get a better idea of what this engine should look like when complete. I dont get why they call the clutch by the name "J" why not just a standard part # of some kind? The fly wheels weigh 320 .
Can the flywheels be easily removed with the crankshaft or are they bolted in place solidly with the bearings. I take it that this one would be a dark green like the rest of the fbm engines?