Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

Flywheel trouble

this thread has 11 replies and has been viewed 6015 times

Old 07-12-2005, 08:45:41 PM
Registered-I

Default Flywheel trouble

Hi,

I'm trying to restore a Briggs and stratton quantum power engine, model 121702. This is the first engine i've ever worked on and i'm having a big problem with the flywheel. I just cant get it off. (I don't want to ruin anything) Below is a picture of what it looks like. How do i get this thing off?

Thanks in advance

Eelco Galestien

Sponsored Links
Old 07-12-2005, 09:05:43 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,621 Times in 799 Posts
Default Re: Flywheel trouble

Can you get the nut off? I 'm assuming that you can. Since this crankshaft is likely to be a tapered one, all you gotta do is get the flywheel to move jusssst a bit and it'll pop off.
Turn the nut backward until it's mostly still threaded to the crankshaft. Take a small prybar and put it underneath the flywheel (between the wheel and engine block) Apply pressure as if prying the flywheel off. Grab your medium or large ball-peen hammer and begin tapping on the end of the nut. Do take care so as not to break the flywheel. Also be careful to not drive the nut over the crankshaft threads. Keep a steady tapping so as to set up vibrations in the piece you're working on.
I should have mentioned before, but if this engine's been sitting awhile, you might treat it to a good shot of a penetrating solution. Diesel fuel is one, P.B. Blaster is another. Liquid Wrench, J.B. 80 are other suggestions. After treatment, maybe let the engine sit, flywheel side up and allow the stuff to work in before you try to remove it. Let it sit a day if you can.
Old 07-12-2005, 09:10:31 PM
Registered-I

I've tried but i can't get the nut off. I'll try using a penetrating solution and let it sit overnight. Tomorrow i'll try again
Old 07-12-2005, 09:27:25 PM
Registered-III

Are you sure you are turning the nut the right way? In other words is it a left or right hand thread?
Old 07-13-2005, 12:44:26 PM
Hoarder

Thanked 2,589 Times in 845 Posts

Briggs makes a special wrench for holding the flywheel when you are tightening and loosening the flywheel nut. Without this wrench, you can use a large screwdriver or prybar between the flywheel fins to keep the crank from spinning. Be EXTREMELY careful doing this. It is very easy to break the fins when you do this. The nut should turn to the left to loosen. Once you get the starter cup and debris guard off, you should see two tapped holes near the center of the flywheel. These are to attach the flywheel puller. The holes are either 1/4-20 UNC or 5/16-18 UNC, I don't remember which. If you don't have a Briggs flywheel puller you can use either a large gear puller or the tap & pry method described above.
Old 07-13-2005, 02:38:45 PM
Registered-III

Eelco -

Turn the nut to the RIGHT to loosen it, NOT the left. The threads are left-hand, or reverse threaded.

Once you get the nut off, you can CAREFULLY and GENTLY wedge a screwdriver between the flywheel and the backing plate to put some outward tension on the flywheel, then give the flywheel a firm tap with a brass hammer in the spot that's directly in line with the flywheel key. DO NOT 1) jam the screwdriver between the flywheel and backing plate with all your strenght OR whack the flywheel with all your might or you will break the backing plate and/or the flywheel. Work carefully and slowly, and the flywheel should pop off.

Chriks
Old 07-13-2005, 03:47:30 PM
Subscriber

I would not put a screwdriver between the fins !! That is asking for a busted fin. I know- I've done that and it really p-ssed me off that I was that d-mb. I have a lot of company, though. I've purchased a number engines with broken fins. Some say that all you have to do to regain flywheel balance is bust off a second opposing fin but that don't really work and engine vibration is the end result.

Briggs instructions show a wood block on the bench top with a fin pressing down onto that but I am not fond of that method either. I put a socket on the nut with a breaker bar handle, hold the flywheel to some extent with my hand and sharply smack the breaker bar handle with a lead or heavy handle.

I've never failed to loosen a Briggs flywheel nut this way. I also believe you'll find the thread is a lefthand, but am not directly familiar with this particular model. Hit it sharply and squarely, but not too hard or you will bend the crankshaft end and/or bodge up the threads.

I do a similar job of dislodging the flywheel as a previous post- screw the nut onto the shaft until the end is flush (without any washer) and then I rap the nut sharply with a lead hammer or a heavy hammer and a hard maple block. The flywheel will generally pop loose.

This sounds crude but Wisconsin has this method in their engine manuals.
Old 07-13-2005, 04:12:03 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,305 Times in 875 Posts

If you have a impact wrench or even a impact driver will get the nut loose easily without having to hold the flywheel.(most times)Once the nut is loose run it out so it is flush with end of crank shaft. Then using a block of hard wood or lead hammer give it a smack with the pry bar behind the flywheel. It should come loose.BobRR
Old 07-14-2005, 10:50:09 AM
Registered-I

I've solved the problem. The big nut came off easily after soaking in oil. I just clamped the flywheel between 2 blocks of wood.
Under the black crown thing i found two screws that held the flywheel in place. Also turned left to loosen. After a few taps with a light hammer, the flywheel came off. Thanks for your help.
Old 07-15-2005, 12:31:36 PM
Ron A Long

SOme B&S flywheels are threaded on so look at shaft you may see threads or may be press on they made them both ways
Old 07-15-2005, 01:11:52 PM
Registered-III

A home made strap wrench, an old belt and a piece of wood, can be used to hold the flywheel for removing the nut. Look at the exposed thread to determine the rotation of the nut.

Once nut is loose you can turn the nut till the end of the crank is lower than the top of the nut then have someone hold the flywheel and then you can very carefully tap on the top of the nut. I have always (read: 100% succesful) been able to remove small engine flywheels with this method.

Forrest A
Old 07-15-2005, 03:28:11 PM
Registered-III

Exclamation Re: Flywheel trouble

Just realized I needed to elaberate on my previous post. Person holding flywheel should only be holding flywheel and the engine should be off the bench/ground when nut is tapped.