Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

Gib Key

this thread has 4 replies and has been viewed 1018 times

Old 07-13-2005, 08:24:33 AM
Registered-II

Default Gib Key

Could someone please tell me how to get a gib key out of a flywheel once the ear on it has been broken off? it is on a 3 hp IHC M, it is the mag. side flywheel I am having this trouble with...
Thanks for your time and cooperation on this matter.
Chad
Sponsored Links
Old 07-13-2005, 09:58:46 AM
Registered-III

Default Re: Gib Key

I had this same problem with my Taylor. What I ended up having to do is cut a piece of threaded rod the same size as the keyway slot but longer than the exposed length of crankshaft. I ground about half of the thickness of the round rod off (leaving a "D" on one end so it would fit over the gib key but still be down in the slot) and welded the rod to the gib key. I took some radiator hose clamps and wrapped them around the threaded rod and the crankshaft so the rod wouldn't try to pull away from the crankshaft and put a nut and heavy washer (or a plate with a hole in it) over the end of the crankshaft. tighten the nut and either the gib key will come out or the weld will break. Make sure that the keyway is clear of as much dirt and grim as you can possibly get out of there or the key will bind up in the slot. May want to take a file and use it to clean out the corners of the keyway slot. Good luck!

Jeb
Old 07-13-2005, 10:43:39 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,305 Times in 875 Posts

Check the archives there is a lot of info in there!BobRR
Old 07-13-2005, 10:50:34 AM
Registered-III

Chad. I have got them out by drilling through the key with a bit almost as large as the key itself. Then put a block of wood in the crank housing and bounce the crank throw back and forth against the block. since the key is now hollow, more like a drinking straw, it will collapse and can be removed easily.I hope this helps. Good luck in a good hobby. Joe Morris
Old 07-13-2005, 08:10:24 PM
Registered-II

Thanks so much for the info I am going to try these two way this weekend. I am sure one fo them will work...Again, thanks everyone for the help...
Chad