Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

What kind of paint for open crank engine?

this thread has 3 replies and has been viewed 1410 times

Old 07-17-2005, 12:56:05 PM
Registered-III

Arrow What kind of paint for open crank engine?

Okay, okay, i know this has been done before, but again just to get a general consensus; what kind of paint do you guys normally use on your engine restorations. Base coat/clear coat automotive paint or single stage urethane like Nason Full-Thane. Those are my two options right now and i'm a beginner. I'm at the primer shooting stage right now so I can still go either way. Just worried about oil staining and paint lifting from gas spills. Thanks.

Jeb
Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-2005, 05:10:14 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: What kind of paint for open crank engine?

Jeb -

I use single stage automotive paint - I believe it's enamel - Dupont Centari. Looks nice, but be advised that it does not hold up to gasoline. Another thought - I did a search on epoxy paint, and found a website that sells heavy duty paint especially made for industrial equipment, and they do offer several colors. Try the same search - it was in the first page of hits.

Chris
Old 07-17-2005, 09:28:21 PM
Registered-III

For my Rosebery I used Sherwin Williams Western acrylic line as my uncle uses SW at his shop and they just happened to have a color that was correct. I used their hardener and over a year later there is no damage to the paint from oil/grease/petrol.

Cheers NICK
Old 07-17-2005, 11:21:56 PM
Registered-III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Kirk
Jeb -

I use single stage automotive paint - I believe it's enamel - Dupont Centari. Looks nice, but be advised that it does not hold up to gasoline.

Chris
Chris,
Were you using the correct reducer and hardener or just the paint by it's self? Before base clear, this type of paint painted thousands of cars and how many have you seen with the paint gone below the fuel hole from the occasional overflow when fueling up.

If you don't use any hardener the paint will loose its nice gloss especially after some time in the sun. The trick is to put in just the right amount. If you put in too much the paint will be extremely brittle and will chip easily but it will be extremely fuel resistant. If you don't put in enough it will wash off with gasoline and will loose its gloss and fade fairly quickly but it will stay fairly rubbery. I've been using crossfire acrylic enamel from Napa. It reduces 2 to 1. I've been adding a 1/2-part hardener to the mix and have had good results. Also, only mix hardener with enough paint to do the job because once the hardener is added a chemical process is started and the paint is going to get hard in a few hours regardless weather the lid is on the can or not.

Jamie