Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

What to do with hit and miss engines

this thread has 18 replies and has been viewed 3647 times

Old 07-17-2005, 05:56:16 PM
Registered-II

Default What to do with hit and miss engines

I recently inherited 4 hit and miss engines. A witte 6 hp, a Novo upright, a 3 hp? JD, and a 3-4? hp IHC. I have limited time and space, so the witte and the JD are heading to area museums to power old farm equipment. I figure more people can enjoy them running somewhere at a museum, instead of gathering dust in my shed. So I need some help deciding what to do with the remaining two. THe novo is currently at my parents house, and can stay there for a while. THe IHC I would really like to find a purpose for. Is there a generator head I could fit to the motor? Any other interesting ideas out there? I dont have a farm or any need to pump water etc. Thanks for the help,

Ben
Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-2005, 07:00:04 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,329 Times in 807 Posts
Default Re: What to do with hit and miss engines

This advise I will offer. The musuem: Years ago about 15, the state of Ms, agricultural commissioner started an ag musuem. It is a very nice place with musuem, grounds and old buildings. Many people donated items that no one else would have gotten, (meaning collectors) Much of this stuff, engines, etc wound up not being put in the musuem and eventurally disappeared. Make sure the musuem you are going to donate it to wants it, and try to have an understanding that if it is no longer valuable to them as an exhibit, it reverts back to you. Just offering an observation on previous experience. If you decide to not donate them, find a collector who would want them for exhibiting and make a deal with him to sell them. I guess my point is to try to keep them in the hands of someone who will take care of them and exhibit them for all of us to enjoy.
Old 07-17-2005, 07:00:59 PM
Sky

i dont know if i would give them to a museum or not.....i've heard they dont take very good care of stuff like that......i've heard of stuff just not being tooken care of PROPERLY....but i dont know.....i just heard about things like that...
Old 07-17-2005, 07:14:42 PM
Registered-III

I have to agree with what the others are saying in re: museums. Many museums have WAY to many items to ever display, and many don't have the resources to properly store an old engine, much less run it. Oftentimes, it gets put outside in the rain, snow, etc, and we all know what happens from there. Lastly, many musueums will sell excess items, and at that point, you have no control over who gets the engines. I'd very carefully investigate any museum to determine what they'll do with your engines, and if you have any doubt, sell them privately. At least you'll know that someone who paid money will very likely value and care for your engines.

Chris
Old 07-17-2005, 07:57:34 PM
Administrator

Thanked 9,011 Times in 1,482 Posts

Many of the finer items that you see on eBay auctions are from museums, either out the front door or the back door. (You never know which on eBay.) Museums want MONEY most of all and this is their way of getting it.

Advertise it in your local paper and if there is a local collector, they will be ringing your phone. Otherwise, place an ad on http://www.enginads.com/bigengin.cgi and someone who WANTS it will buy it and you'll end up with some money.

-- Harry
Old 07-17-2005, 08:39:00 PM
Subscriber

Ayup its OK to donate it to a museum but make sure you get a letter of acceptance for tax purposes if applicable but also to prove the museum owns it with your expressed intent and possible conditions you prescribe.

I donated an engine to a reputable museum and delivered it to their collections director. A few years later I looked for the engine only to find it physically absent and no record that it had ever been on their property.
My fault for not insisting on a "letter of acceptance". According to the museums Administrators, the collections director was terminated for "selectively" recording donations during his tenure. Items unrecorded "dissapeared". I`m still studying possible legal recourse or recovery with the museums board of directors as we were both ripped off.
Old 07-17-2005, 11:08:18 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,629 Times in 1,049 Posts

I am not trying to cause any trouble, but I no longer “Donate” anything to museums. If the museum wants the item then they can “Buy” it from me. After seeing the Henry Ford Museum sell off steam engines, and many other museums sell off items that were donated and expected to be kept, if a museum wants something of mine, then they can buy it from me off of Harry’s or ebay (and one has). I have seen tooooooooooooo many items go to junk or sold off that were donated. If someone buys something including a museum, then more than likely, they will take care of it.

Here are some photos of one sawmill that “used” to be a nice display at a museum in South Western, PA. These photos just make me want to cry, because as you can see, at one point someone had put a ton of time and effort into this mill for a display and then it turned to this………………………….
Who made the decision as to why this was NOT taken care of at this museum???? I saw some other displays there that I found of “no interest” to me, so should I just let them rot away if I am the next curator of this museum? Should we have a reenactment of an old fashion hanging for the person that let this happen? That would be an interesting display for museum………………..

I would sell your engines on Harry’s and send them to a good home where they will be loved just like a family member or pet………………….
The folks that “shop” on this site (since TV. shopping does not sell engines.......yet.....) will love them for a very long time. Also, you should enjoy the money and purchase something that you can look at and remember who left it to you and how you were able to buy it so you can have a smile when you reminisce. When my Grandmother died, she left me a small amount of money. My mother told me that I had one month to think of something that I wanted and then I had to get something for myself that I normally would not get myself. At the end of the month, I purchased a very nice Nikon camera because after thinking all that time, I realized that from childhood until her death (I was in my 20’s) I did not have many photos of her because I did not have a camera, so now I have one and do not let opportunities/memories get past without picture.

Just my $.02 and a little more I guess…………

Jeff Smith
Attached Thumbnails
Sawmill1.JPG   Sawmill2.JPG   Sawmill3.JPG   Sawmill4.JPG  
Old 07-18-2005, 01:36:56 AM
Sky

YEP! the more i think about it, if i was you, i wouldn't give them to a museum, i guess that stuff what i hear is true, museums DONT take care of stuff like that...... AND THATS ALOT OF MONEY IN THEM ENGINES NOT TO CARE! i dunno, maybee it's just me, but i wouldn't do it
This is alittle of topic i know, BUT, when i go to leave this earth, i'll make darn sure my engines go to a well known and very responsible collector,....it just feels safer thata way.
Old 07-18-2005, 07:02:05 AM
Registered-II

Thats not exactly what I was hoping to hear. I think I am going to donate the witte regardless, its collector value I would think is less than the others (condition, and newer motor, 1943?). I have also seen the mill they plan to pwer with it, so I feel like it will be used. What kind of value would you put on the John Deere and the IHC. I havent found the model of the JD yet, the IHC I believe is a M model. Both were runners, and were restored ~30 yrs ago. They made the old engine show circuits in NC until the mid-80s. Any ideas on what I could power with the engine I decide to keep? Thanks for all the advice.
Old 07-18-2005, 09:26:06 AM
Administrator

If you keep "one" engine and get involved in the hobby, I can pretty much guarantee that you will ultimately want MORE engines. Not to mention that you will end up sorry that you didn't keep the ones you "lost."

Keep reading the SmokStak Archives and you'll get connected.
Old 07-18-2005, 09:34:01 AM
Registered-III

Houston;

I just noticed that you are in Raleigh. I'm about 15 minutes past Rocky Mount in a little town called Tarboro. If you'd like to meet up sometime, I can show you what I'm planning on doing with my two little engines and Just generally talk old iron. Unfortunately a lot of engine powered equipment is hard to find around here, so I keep my eyes peeled during the shows and watch eBay as well as talking to other local collectors to see if anybody has anything that I might be interested in. Generally, the JD is the most valuable just because everybody likes JD and they are enclosed so they make a decent ice cream engine. I plan on shelling and grinding corn with my two engines but may also get a flat belt driven bench grinder.

Jeb
Old 07-18-2005, 11:30:35 AM
Subscriber

Houston, Come to our show next weekend, July 29-30 in Deep Gap, NC. It is near Boone. There are many people there that would buy your engines. There is one guy on here that lives in NC that collects Witte engines. There are severial things that you could power with your engine. Go to a show and see the things that can be done with one. Like Harry said, you might sell your other engines and then get "bitten" by the old engine bug and want more engines and wish you would have kept them. There are very few museums that will take care of donations. Maybe you can find a collector that would, "adopt" it from you and take care of it, store it, and take it to shows for you, and then maybe you can make a deal with them for them to buy it from you.

Just my $0.02

Carolina Fly-Wheelers Show
Old 07-18-2005, 01:39:02 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,629 Times in 1,049 Posts

I would like to add one item to my original comment above, but it is more in a question form??? What kind of "museum" are you planning to donate them too? If it is a local heritage museum, than I will stick with my original post and sell them and RUN as fast as you can from the local museum, but if it is an engine club, with property, buildings, etc. that have the facilities to keep the engines, well, that is a different story. I would be more than willing to donate engines to a club like C.V. in Chambersburg, PA. My father has donated many big engines to them in the past and even sold them some real cheap, and to this day, they look like they did when they got them (if not better), and they run them during the shows. It is the so called "local heritage museum" that I would watch out for and not the "Large" engine clubs that are in the museum “business” (according to the IRS) to protect and preserve these old engines. Examples: Kinzers, Mt. Pleasant, C.V., Florida Flywheelers. Those are all big shows (and there are many more) with their own property and buildings to protect these engines and preserve them.

Otherwise, run from the local museum and sell them to guys like me!!!

Jeff Smith
Old 07-18-2005, 01:41:17 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,052 Times in 733 Posts

I would keep them all! I am not going to donate any thing of historic value to any museum until I am either phsyically unable to keep them or leave this place in a other way then only will my collection go to some museum or someone else . My mom and grand parents wanted me to donate my first restortion a briggs model b built in 42 to the local museum and I told them no! Since then I have gained 3 other letter series models and one numbered engine and I plan to keep them all.
Old 07-18-2005, 05:16:11 PM
Registered-II

I am reconsidering the museum business. The problem is that I have 8 antique outboard motors, a 1966 International Scout (running restoration in progress), an early 60s jacobsen mower that I still use weekly, and a fiberglass sailboat (sailing restoration in progress). Add in a recent marriage, and I have entirely too many projects. I am slowly consolidating the outboards. It seems that you can have too much, and good things get neglected. I would like to get down to a few outboards, a hit and miss engine, and keep my truck and boat in a condition where they can be used. I appreciate all the concern about keeping the motors, but unfortunately I have too much going on. I would also like to get the IHC running again and start taking it to meets and shows as time permits, so I am not leaving the hobby, just cant make it a large hobby.
Old 07-18-2005, 08:45:41 PM
Administrator

Chaos is bliss!
Old 07-18-2005, 08:58:30 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,329 Times in 807 Posts

O.K. it looks like my opinion about donating them to a musuem was also agreeded up by several others. Please consider the musuem idea out. What I would do, is consider selling them to a collector who will care for them, OR, consider leasing them, (with the proper paper work) to a collector for say, a period of one to five years, and after that period, make a determination as what to do with them. You might want them back or you might be pleased with there new home. At any rate, keep them in the hands of an exhibitor/collector. My 2 cents
Old 07-18-2005, 10:38:17 PM
Registered-II

You have some nice not hard to find engines. My advice though it be far fetched. Offer these motors for sale to the young stackers out there. They will give you a fair price and the motors will get more than a good home. We need to keep this going and engines are getting harder to buy. Let some of the younger ones have a shot. They would show more resepct for them than a museam. Bob
Old 07-18-2005, 10:56:25 PM
Registered-II

I am using my throttled governed FMZ 2hp to redo my front lawn...
I plan to dig it up and then have some quality soil brought it, then I'll grade it, drag it, plant it, water it, and have grass that will kick *ss.
Attached Thumbnails
digging-the-yard.JPG